• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Worth mentioning about Benitez that the one time his Liverpool side did look reasonably entertaining and did look like they would mount a half decent title challenge they had Mascherano and Alonso holding, Gerrard ahead of them and Torres firing on all sylinders up front. All worlds class players that worked very well together. With Reina in goal and the then pretty good Carragher at the back that was a pretty special spine to a team and I think most managers would have done well.

Mate you picked the one game Benitez played attacking football in 6+ years as your example?

Benitez was fudging dreadful day in day out, constantly played players out of position, made brick buys over and over (thought Barry was better than Alonso) and imo the only reason his time at Pool wasn't even worse was the fact that he had Torres/Gerrard in their prime.

Tactical, this is the guy that thought Bale offered no threat to Inter, and after Bale ass raped his right side in Milan, still did nothing to counter it.

People forget, Benitez spent hundreds of millions at a club where the #1 priority for 19+ years has been to win the PL title, and he never came even close.

Alright, let's get a few things out of the way, then.

His 'playing players out of position' led to Gerrard having his most effective years a right-sided midfielder tucking inside. He hasn't been nearly as good since. Ditto Kuyt.

His brick buys included Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Lucas, Reina, Agger, Skrtel....

This bit about 'having Gerrard and Torres in their prime' always baffles me. Since he left, they've both been abysmally bad. One of the players peaking when he was there, I could understand, but both of them?Too much of a coincidence. Torres has also said that Benitez was the only manager who really got the best out of him, if I recall. So that's more down to good management that 'having players in their prime'.

Tactically, this is the same man who tried to implement a high, fast pressing line at Inter, which directly led to bale's stunning performances. And yet people criticise him for playing negative counter-attacking football. As for Bale raping his right side, I don't remember him doing so in the first half. That had more to do with Inter becoming complacent, imo.

As for his spending, if I recall, he also sold a lot of players for high fees. His net spend over the years is actually quite low compared to most comparable clubs. As for never coming close to winning it, I thought they finished only a point or two behind United on the last day of the season , while being top scorers, in 08-09?

I'm not saying he's perfect, or a demi-GHod of football management. I'd just like to disple this notion people have that he's somehow a terrible, terrible manager. He isn't. He's a damn good one, who's been demonized by the media and by his circumstances at declining clubs like Liverpool and Inter. Plus, how well have Pool and Inter done since he left, out of curioisity?

Worth mentioning about Benitez that the one time his Liverpool side did look reasonably entertaining and did look like they would mount a half decent title challenge they had Mascherano and Alonso holding, Gerrard ahead of them and Torres firing on all sylinders up front. All worlds class players that worked very well together. With Reina in goal and the then pretty good Carragher at the back that was a pretty special spine to a team and I think most managers would have done well.

Except Gerrard and Carragher, both youth teamers, everyone else in that bunch you list was bought by Benitez. 'brick buys' indeed.

His 'playing players out of position' led to Gerrard having his most effective years a right-sided midfielder tucking inside. He hasn't been nearly as good since. Ditto Kuyt.

His brick buys included Mascherano, Alonso, Torres, Lucas, Reina, Agger, Skrtel....

This bit about 'having Gerrard and Torres in their prime' always baffles me. Since he left, they've both been abysmally bad. One of the players peaking when he was there, I could understand, but both of them?Too much of a coincidence. Torres has also said that Benitez was the only manager who really got the best out of him, if I recall. So that's more down to good management that 'having players in their prime'.

Tactically, this is the same man who tried to implement a high, fast pressing line at Inter, which directly led to bale's stunning performances. And yet people criticise him for playing negative counter-attacking football. As for Bale raping his right side, I don't remember him doing so in the first half. That had more to do with Inter becoming complacent, imo.

As for his spending, if I recall, he also sold a lot of players for high fees. His net spend over the years is actually quite low compared to most comparable clubs. As for never coming close to winning it, I thought they finished only a point or two behind United on the last day of the season , while being top scorers, in 08-09?

I'm not saying he's perfect, or a demi-GHod of football management. I'd just like to disple this notion people have that he's somehow a terrible, terrible manager. He isn't. He's a damn good one, who's been demonized by the media and by his circumstances at declining clubs like Liverpool and Inter. Plus, how well have Pool and Inter done since he left, out of curioisity?

If you buy 76 players for a football club. I'm sure 10% would have to turn out to be good buys.
I think most people's problem with Benitez is that Liverpool games were an unwatchable dirge whilst he was in charge.

Mate, you are picking and choosing

- buy 76+ players for 220M+ quid and name 6 that turned out good (half of who were already big names when bought)
- Kuyt was the Dutch top scorer for several years IIRC, good man magement is making him a work horse winger?
- Torres/Gerrard are destroyed after Benitez because the fudger overplayed them, even when injured.
- Inter complacent? for 3 halves of football? more like we had nerves, went for it and ass raped them, in the second leg they knew what was coming and had no answer
- How has Inter done? more like how did he take a treble winning side (that beat Barca in the CL) and fudge it up in 3 months?

Benitez is a disaster, had two good seasons at Pool and brick else since ..

Wenger is the worst fudging loser.

What a massive d.i.c.k.h.e.a.d.

I think all the good managers are bad losers. Good examples are Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho. I think that's how they fire up their players to do well. They hate losing and they want their players to do so as well. Compared this to the "good losers" like Jol and Redknapp who always have problem motivating their players when down.

Surprised that Arsenal lost to Wigan at home. But I think Arsenal are just toying with us. They know even if they lose all their remaining matches, we will always feck it up ourselves. We just don't have the mentality of a big team.

I think all the good managers are bad losers. Good examples are Wenger, Ferguson and Mourinho. I think that's how they fire up their players to do well. They hate losing and they want their players to do so as well. Compared this to the "good losers" like Jol and Redknapp who always have problem motivating their players when down.

Surprised that Arsenal lost to Wigan at home. But I think Arsenal are just toying with us. They know even if they lose all their remaining matches, we will always feck it up ourselves. We just don't have the mentality of a big team.

The Arsenal who has perfected the art of throwing away their season (usually from a place of competing on 3 or 4 fronts), usually over the space of 2-4 weeks?
The Arsenal who has won fudge all for what will be 7 seasons?
The Arsenal who has sold every WC player bar one, who will leave in summer?

Yep, they are toying with us ... more like bricking themselves that without CL football and the RVP they would be midtable dross ...

Mate, you are picking and choosing

- buy 76+ players for 220M+ quid and name 6 that turned out good (half of who were already big names when bought)
- Kuyt was the Dutch top scorer for several years IIRC, good man magement is making him a work horse winger?
- Torres/Gerrard are destroyed after Benitez because the fudger overplayed them, even when injured.
- Inter complacent? for 3 halves of football? more like we had nerves, went for it and ass raped them, in the second leg they knew what was coming and had no answer
- How has Inter done? more like how did he take a treble winning side (that beat Barca in the CL) and fudge it up in 3 months?

Benitez is a disaster, had two good seasons at Pool and brick else since ..

-The majority of his signings were cheap, or on frees. But if you want a few more success stories, Arbeloa's now at Madrid, Bellamy's now back at Liverpool, Johnson's still their full-back, Benayoun's at Arsenal....in six seasons, he signed 76 players, true. But the majority of them were squad fodder or youth teamers. Much like a certain 'Arry, actually.

-Torres and Gerrard were overplayed? Well, Bale and Modric aren't exactly being wrapped in cotton wool right now, mate.

-Inter were complacent for both the second half at the San Siro and the first at WHL. Seeing as they'd gone four goals up in the first one, it wasn't really a surprise. And no one expected us to come back like we did, not even our own fans. Who'd have predicted that we would put in what remains our finest performance of the past decade or so at WHL in the return leg?

-Mourinho himself has admitted that he bled every last drop of effort out of his players, and that no manager could have done well with the men he left behind. Benitez was always going to be on a hiding to nothing, following in the footsteps of one of the greatest club managers alive, and seeing how terribly they've done since (with the same treble-winning personnel, remember, almost no changes), I'd argue Inter had a deeper malaise affecting them than just Benitez' tactical tinkering.

Two good seasons at pool, two consecutive titles with Valencia, the European Super Cup, Italian Super Cup and the Club World Championship with Inter during his supposedly 'terrible' year...some under-rating going on there, mate.

(As for Kuyt, I haven't seen enough of his days in Holland to comment)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17684797

Gotta be said though, you wouldn't have got quotes like that from him 10 years ago. And whatever he says to the media, you wouldn't want to be one of his players in the dressing room after the game.

I just got in from footy myself. What happened? I saw the first half but how did the second play out? Deserved? Arsenal bitter at the end? Why was RVP refusing to shake hands, something happen in the game or he just a ****?

2-1 defeat happened... I think you answered your own question...
I've said it before, I'll say it again... one thing worse than a bad loser, is a bad winner... thankfully, ArseAnal have proved to be both this season...
Talking of which, I thought he 'scores when he wants'... didn't he fancy yet another goal celebration last night then? How very sporting of him to keep the race for 3rd alive!

But I'm not one to gloat at an unexpected home defeat... after all, we're still reeling from ours last Monday...
but what it DOES do, is put the impetus on us to go into the QPR game with a tad more confidence... I feared if we were going into it 11 points behind (which could still be 8, given they play before us) I think that mentally, it could've proved too much... but now, WHATEVER happens between ArseAnal and Chel-hiss-ea, SHOULD give us the momentum to either GO FOR fudging 3rd (If ArseAnal lose) or put some SERIOUS DISTANCE between us and Chel-hiss-ea (if THEY lose) win win innit...? PROVIDED WE fudging WIN OURSELVES... never a given!

2-1 defeat happened... I think you answered your own question...
I've said it before, I'll say it again... one thing worse than a bad loser, is a bad winner... thankfully, ArseAnal have proved to be both this season...
Talking of which, I thought he 'scores when he wants'... didn't he fancy yet another goal celebration last night then? How very sporting of him to keep the race for 3rd alive!

But I'm not one to gloat at an unexpected home defeat... after all, we're still reeling from ours last Monday...
but what it DOES do, is put the impetus on us to go into the QPR game with a tad more confidence...
I feared if we were going into it 11 points behind (which could still be 8, given they play before us) I think that mentally, it could've proved too much... but now, WHATEVER happens between ArseAnal and Chel-hiss-ea, SHOULD give us the momentum to either GO FOR fudging 3rd (If ArseAnal lose) or put some SERIOUS DISTANCE between us and Chel-hiss-ea (if THEY lose) win win innit...? PROVIDED WE fudging WIN OURSELVES... never a given!

Normally I would have agreed but we have such low confidence that we really need a pull a rabbit out of a hat performance. I just dont think our confidence is determined by what happens in other games because its shown that for some inexplicable reason we have not been up for the fight.

This weekend is crucial because both chelscum and arse are gonna drop points (one or the other at the very least) so as our game is AFTER we could be going into the game knowing that it is totally in our hands for third and dont be fooled we should still be going for third (ESPECIALLY if Arse lose the game)

When do Saudi Sportswashing Machine play, Saturday afternoon?
In theory we could be as low as 6th going into the QPR game if both the Geordies and Chavs win.
Best result? Draw/Chavs/Arse?

When do Saudi Sportswashing Machine play, Saturday afternoon?
In theory we could be as low as 6th going into the QPR game if both the Geordies and Chavs win.
Best result? Draw/Chavs/Arse?
Although, if we've got the balls to assume that Spurs will get back into form and beat QPR and Blackburn... Chelsea winning would allow us to overtake Arsenal for third spot going into the final three matches of the season.

Some stupid ****s from AM:

Originally Posted by david smith
"Wigan needs to be relegated, non-classy. First of all both of Wigan's goals shouldn't have stood. Arteta was injured and the players were signalling to the bench and Wigan took advantage. What do you expect him to do roll around on the floor???"

fudging cry babies :ross:

my GHod.

Wigan shouldn't attack because Arteta, who was standing at the time iirc so not badly injured, was in a bit of pain.

It's the ref's job to stop the game, not the players'.

Personally I'd go for a Chelsea win for the reasons outlines above - the rest would then be in our hands to lose - i.e. slight advantage

Back