• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Limp Struggle to Sneak into the top 4 2021/22

I’ve said it many times, people keep bleating on about where we could be if we win our games in hand - there was never any chance we will win all our games in hand, we just aren’t that good and there is literally no easy game in this league. On the flip side our rivals have and will continue to drop points to lesser teams also - West Ham for example lost 3-2 at home to Southampton aswell. But it is annoying to read post match talk on here the majority of times is this assumption these sort of games will just be a routine 3 points. No wonder some people get so worked up when we lose, some need a reality check about both how good we actually are and how strong this league is…..
Yep. At most I’d forecast our average ppg for the games in hand depending on the quality of the opposition. So 1.7 = 5 points for the 3 games would see us just go ahead of West Ham but it’s a really tight race and will probably come down to whoever can go on a run (not sure how the run ins compare )

And we weren’t depleted either?
They were missing all of their CMs aswell as Van Dijk, West Ham and Leicester have both beaten full strength Liverpool teams at home, yet we were super happy with a draw which highlights just how far we have fallen in big games. Wolves beat Man U 1-0 by the way so they have beaten a top team aswell….

They were missing all of their CMs aswell as Van Dijk, West Ham and Leicester have both beaten full strength Liverpool teams at home, yet we were super happy with a draw which highlights just how far we have fallen in big games. Wolves beat Man U 1-0 by the way so they have beaten a top team aswell….
They have
BBC were wrong then
They did say they were binary with just 1s and 0s in there score
We also were missing our CM. We started with Tanguy, dele, winks and none of them were starters before or after. We were also missing our best CB…

They have
BBC were wrong then
They did say they were binary with just 1s and 0s in there score
We also were missing our CM. We started with Tanguy, dele, winks and none of them were starters before or after. We were also missing our best CB…
Winks seems to be a regular starter for us (too regular for my liking).

Winks seems to be a regular starter for us (too regular for my liking).
When we played pool?
I think it may have been his second start this season at that point after the Leeds game
Deles first start in the league in some time
And I think tanguys last league start for us

I don’t understand our consistency. How can we play so well against Brighton, then so poorly against Southampton?

Is it complacency? Do the team think it’s an easy three points, whilst Southampton work hard for the result? This isn’t to undermine Southampton who were excellent, fought hard for the win and definitely deserved it but what the fudge happened to us?!

The performance and result against Brighton show what we are capable of AND we need this level for rest of season otherwise, let’s just stop trying for top 4 now as we won’t get it.

I don’t understand our consistency. How can we play so well against Brighton, then so poorly against Southampton?

Is it complacency? Do the team think it’s an easy three points, whilst Southampton work hard for the result? This isn’t to undermine Southampton who were excellent, fought hard for the win and definitely deserved it but what the fudge happened to us?!

The performance and result against Brighton show what we are capable of AND we need this level for rest of season otherwise, let’s just stop trying for top 4 now as we won’t get it.

We were good against Brighton, but not great. It showed what we can do when some things go our way.

Southampton play a style, particularly in the first half, that we struggle with because we're more or less incapable of playing through a good high press. When Brighton did similar in the second half we also struggled, but that 3-1 goal dropped their momentum.

We also had phases and moments where we didn't defend well against Southampton, not as much against Brighton.

Southampton rested players in the previous game.

Inconsistency, yes to an extent. But imo it's mostly other factors.

We were good against Brighton, but not great. It showed what we can do when some things go our way.

Southampton play a style, particularly in the first half, that we struggle with because we're more or less incapable of playing through a good high press. When Brighton did similar in the second half we also struggled, but that 3-1 goal dropped their momentum.

We also had phases and moments where we didn't defend well against Southampton, not as much against Brighton.

Southampton rested players in the previous game.

Inconsistency, yes to an extent. But imo it's mostly other factors.
It will be interesting today to see how Saints go against United.

It will be interesting today to see how Saints go against United.
I think Man U will win. A comment that really stuck with me was when England beat New Zealand in semi of the rugby World Cup and the coach of New Zealand said he thought England would lose the final because of the high level of performance they played in the semi felt like their ‘final’ performance - I thought he was wrong and we’d win but we did lose the final. Basically, it’s really hard to raise your game to that level twice in a matter of days. Especially for a middle of the road club like Soton, they were great against us but don’t see them being that level again less than three days after our game. Love to be proved wrong of course….

I thought our heads went down when Foster made that save from reggie.
Oh no, him again, we aren't going to win again.

I think Man U will win. A comment that really stuck with me was when England beat New Zealand in semi of the rugby World Cup and the coach of New Zealand said he thought England would lose the final because of the high level of performance they played in the semi felt like their ‘final’ performance - I thought he was wrong and we’d win but we did lose the final. Basically, it’s really hard to raise your game to that level twice in a matter of days. Especially for a middle of the road club like Soton, they were great against us but don’t see them being that level again less than three days after our game. Love to be proved wrong of course….
I get his point, but we might of lost just from the fact we were playing S.Africa?

I get his point, but we might of lost just from the fact we were playing S.Africa?
Yeah there’s always that:D I just think there is definitely something to the ‘after the lords mare show’ concept, especially mid table teams in this league who have the potential to put in the type of performance Soton did but to do something similar with all that energy required so soon after I’m not convinced. But I’ve been wrong a million times before, and hope they smash Utd today….

Not sure how much of it was Southampton raising their game and us just being damn right awful. We played inyo their hands with our setup making it relatively easy for them to play their own game. It's may or not do the same but imagine having seen our result they will probably adapt more than we did.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Not sure how much of it was Southampton raising their game and us just being damn right awful. We played inyo their hands with our setup making it relatively easy for them to play their own game. It's may or not do the same but imagine having seen our result they will probably adapt more than we did.

Southampton had 10 fresh players vs us
They had none that played at the weekend before
Today they haven’t changed their team and United have a day extra rest
It will show

Southampton had 10 fresh players vs us
They had none that played at the weekend before
Today they haven’t changed their team and United have a day extra rest
It will show
Player rest or not, we were abjectly awful in what we tried to do even without Southampton's pressure. It was a flat performance on our part regardless. If Southampton had put in a similar performance it would have just been a poor game.

Player rest or not, we were abjectly awful in what we tried to do even without Southampton's pressure. It was a flat performance on our part regardless. If Southampton had put in a similar performance it would have just been a poor game.

If we had a weekend off I think we may have have had fresher legs to deal with their pressing

Back