• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Hoddle Era 2001-2003

I will always pop out of the woodwork to post for anything to do with Glenn Hoddle. My love for the club and how i "see" us is absolutely wrapped up in what he was as a player. Hero worship doesn't even come close to my feelings as a kid.

Anyway, interim until the summer assuming we have to wait for our real target? ok and might even stamp a little "Tottenham" into the side and be gone way before he ****es anyone off.

Deep reservations for anything beyond that unless he has changed and does stunningly well.

I still love the man.

Last edited:
I said elsewhere like many others, Glenn Hoddles vision of a 352 scares the life out of me. There is no way I could see that working, I mean we may beat a few teams heavily but we would also lose heavily in others and the two strikers we have are both poachers/finishers, neither would excel in the build up play. On the back of that I would say no. I remember parts of his time, but was only in my mid teens so didn't catch much of it. I remember 352, Ziege always out injured and a flakey defence. I do however also remember the 1998 World Cup which shows a contrast between two different Hoddle teams, I just wonder if he would make us better or worse.

I look at the squad and see the makings of a very impressive 433, the problem is that AVBs interpretation of it was a big problem. Arsenal tinkered with the high line last year and we beat them at the lane with two goals of no great quality, their defence stepped high and Sig and Bale, slid easy passes through great big holes for Bale and Lennon (respectively) to run onto and score from. Since then they abandonned the idea and now have a very sturdy defence. They also seem a far more fluid team this year as they have done away with the traditional winger approach and opted for four central play makers all capable of making and scoring goals. I think if whoever our coach is takes away the high line and focuses on stretching the pitch when in attack we may see the 4231/433 work.

Volspurs has it right with his line ups though, regardless of formation we need to have at least two pass and move ball players in the middle of the park. Looking through the squad and our new players on current performances, we have these sort of players at our disposal although AVB has favoured a stronger defensive presence, strangulating our midfield craft. Looking deeper though we have a 433 squad, certainly we have the full backs and type of attacking players for it. As I have said before what we need is the creative mind in the middle and players making the right moves for one another. The de Boer diamond looks tasty and with those 3 behind two predators like that we would certainly not be found lacking for creativity.

Draw your soccer tactics with this11.com

Just for balance that's kinda how I have seen Bayern setup in the handful of games I have watched this year. Lahm being the deepest but rotating with Kroos at times with Ribery and Goetze dropping deep at times to collect and run at players whilst Rafinha and Alaba bomb forward into the space. Anyways just adapted our players to fit it.

A big resounding NO! What's wrong with people. Glenn Hoddle? Seriously? You're living in the past.

[Walter Sobchak]Over 100 years of beautiful tradition, from Blanchflower to Glenn Hoddle, you're GHod DAMNED RIGHT I'M LIVING IN THE F**KING PAST![/Walter Sobchak]

On a serious note, if we were to play with a back 3, I'd like Sandro to be at the centre of it. Is that mental? I think it would work.

Not mental no, and with the players available to us, I think one of Capoue or Sandro would have to play in it, so we could flexibly fold back into a flat back four with a holding mid when pressured

relevant from 2003

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2401372/Hoddle-should-be-sacked-says-Sherwood.html

Hoddle should be sacked, says Sherwood

Tim Sherwood, the former Tottenham midfielder, has launched a scathing attack on his former manager Glenn Hoddle.

Hoddle has come under fire this week over Tottenham's decision to release Teddy Sheringham at the end of the season.

Sherwood spent four years at White Hart Lane after being signed from Blackburn by George Graham before falling out with Hoddle and being offloaded to Portsmouth in January.

"No one at Tottenham would shed a single tear if Glenn Hoddle was sacked tomorrow," Sherwood said. "The only way they will bring success back to Tottenham is through a change of manager.

"The dressing room is not together and there is no team spirit. Nobody is busting a gut for the manager. The kids have far more respect for guys like Teddy Sheringham, Gus Poyet and Steffen Freund than they do for Hoddle.

"They all turn to the experienced pros for encouragement and advice because the manager won't accept anyone else's point of view and just leaves them all confused.
"The way Hoddle has treated a senior player like Freund is an absolute disgrace. And the decision to release Teddy is entirely down to him.

Sherwood, 34, who played under Hoddle in the England team, added: "When Hoddle was appointed two years ago, there were people at the club who saw him as the GHod of White Hart Lane. But it certainly hasn't worked out that way.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to realise that there is a major problem at the club. And you don't have to be a genius to work out what that problem is."

That was and still is a bitter attack by a player released and as a player he wasnt very good

Glenn is a Spurs legend and always will be but, while Sherwood's attack was harsh, a lot of what he said seems to be true. Look at Ricketts' article the other day. Problems with other players are very well documented. The man seems to have no self-awareness or man-management skills.

Either way, with Sherwood being so highly regarded by Levy, it's hard to see how Hoddle could get appointed if that was genuinely Sherwood's view.

Sherwood was alse a decent player to be fair.

Glenn is a Spurs legend and always will be but, while Sherwood's attack was harsh, a lot of what he said seems to be true. Look at Ricketts' article the other day. Problems with other players are very well documented. The man seems to have no self-awareness or man-management skills.

Either way, with Sherwood being so highly regarded by Levy, it's hard to see how Hoddle could get appointed if that was genuinely Sherwood's view.

Rohan who never played at the top level again?? That Ricketts??

For every Sherwood there is a Ferdinand (both Les and Rio) a Shearer etc

I never take players who have left has a decent yardstick to whats gone on

Also I hear Hoddle and Levy are very very close now

Hoddle is made for international management,he has much less time with the players so he can not lose them like he has done most places.

I think the truth encompasses both viewpoints.

I think Sherwood was telling it pretty straight. I think he was a **** for doing so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2028286/Gary-Neville-England-players-terrified-live-fear-failure.html

By GARY NEVILLE
UPDATED: 00:27, 21 August 2011

There’s no doubt that the FA mishandled managerial appointments, letting Venables go too easily and appointing Glenn Hoddle and Steve McClaren before they were ready. But would any manager have turned us into England’s first winners since ’66?

Hoddle took over from Venables and it’s been said before: if only he had possessed the man-management skills to go with his undoubted football intelligence. He was a very good coach who wanted England to play the right way.
He also believed in alternative methods, including Eileen Drewery, the faith healer, who’d visited the camp a few times before the World Cup. As a bit of a sceptic, I’d never gone to see her.
When the 1998 World Cup started, some of the players started taking injections from Glenn’s favourite medic, a Frenchman called Dr Rougier. It was different from anything we’d done at United, but all above board, I’m sure.
After some of the lads said they’d felt a real burst of energy, I decided to seize any help on offer. So many of the players decided to go for it before that Argentina match that there was a queue to see the doctor. Before the game, Glenn did his usual pre-match routine of moving around the players, shaking their hands and touching them just over the heart.
We’ll never know if the methods had any positive effect. One of the masseurs told me Glenn had asked the staff to walk around the pitch anti-clockwise during the game against Argentina to create positive energy. Sadly, it didn’t do us much good.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/2237402/

TONY ADAMS has admitted that he believes the seeds of doubt over Glenn Hoddle's reign as England manager were sown when the now-Tottenham Hotspur boss criticised David Beckham back in 1998.

The story of Hoddle telling England skipper Beckham that he was incapable of performing a piece of skill in training has passed into folk-lore.

Indeed one of Hoddle's appointed captains, Adams, thinks that this moment had a profound effect on his standing with the players.

"It has been well-documented too, how Glenn criticised David during training saying he wasn't good enough to do a particular skill," Adams told the Observer Sport Monthly.

"Looking back, Glenn may regret it. It should certainly be something he learns from.

"Becks was a fantastic trainer, as were all the United lads.

"It was a moment that shocked many players and I think that Glenn lost the respect of some that day, something that may have continued into the subsequent Euro 2000 campaign when he lost his job.

"But then, Glenn was a young manager. Perhaps there was a bit of envy.

"He was, after all, not long away from playing for England himself and could still do a lot in training.

"If he was envious - and that's understandable and human - he should have made that public.

"I would if I was manager and had a good centre back.

"I would simply say: 'he reminds me of me.'

"Technically Glenn was one of the best managers I played for, but as Sir Alex Ferguson once said: 'Never use sarcasm on players. It doesn't work.'

"In five or ten years when Glenn's man-management skills are better and he is further away from his own playing era, he will be a fantastic manager."

Rohan who never played at the top level again?? That Ricketts??

For every Sherwood there is a Ferdinand (both Les and Rio) a Shearer etc

I never take players who have left has a decent yardstick to whats gone on

Also I hear Hoddle and Levy are very very close now

Ricketts was actually fairly complimentary of Hoddle. He wasn't attacking him. Just said his methods were unorthodox and the senior players didn't believe in them towards the end. He has no reason to lie about that.

The vast majority I've ever heard speak of Hoddle have said the same thing. Great football brain but very strange beliefs and a poor man-manager. There's a trend there so you have to believe that there's something in it.

dunno how to feel about this.....if he were to be appointed then obviously I would back the legend.......but something tells me his appointment wouldnt work out......who knows....

I don't think it would work long term, I really hope he ends up as England manager. He has the vision to change things at that level. Whoever the manager of England they will never get any respect from the ***** who get picked, they think they know it all. As the game has become dominated by coaches and systems, British players don't have the technique or mental capacity to implement game plans

These were the years I had my season ticket. 0-3 at home to Fulham, 1-3 at home to Southampton and 0-4 at home to Blackburn in the final game of the season. It was the worst run of results I can remember.

I love Hoddle. I don't want him back though.

Back