• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Gym/Fitness/Health thread

Diamond Lights

Didier Zokora
Hi all

So, it dawned on me we do not have a specific thread on health and wellbeing.

Quick story, i was never massively overweight, but was fat, podgy, basically grew up with a terrible diet, eating frozen food as parents both worked full time, and post marriage put on even more kilos. Around 2017 i was changing jobs and decided i needed to make some changes, and through to 2019 lost 10 kilos or saw, a couple of belt sizes down and was in wonderland.

Then Covid hit, gym stopped, had another child and got fat (again). So, the circle continues... and i am back trying to eat clean, exercise, and lose the weight, albeit not as strict as 2017 onwards (no one wants Nandos without chips). the road is long but have already noticed small improvements.

So, here's a thread for anyone and all to take part, if they are on the same journey, if they WISH to take the same journey, if you want advice (i'm not a PT but have used plenty in my journey), if you have ideas, food recipes, suggestions, whatever.

To finish, i've never felt happier than when i could fit into t shirts i couldn't previously, or was noticeably no longer overweight. Made a massive difference to my life, personally, professionally, my heart in 2019 beat 10,000 times less a day than 2017, so I hope this thread helps someone to make some changes to their health.

Just cutting down on carbs makes a huge difference. Minimising bread, pasta, potatoes. Don't have to be silly about it, just take the opportunity to skip carbs from a meal, or have less of them, and it works wonders. Bread especially, I don't think its all that healthy. Wheat that is bred for production, lots of fertilisers and pesdcides. It is not the bread that people ate 100 years ago. If you can be sensible with carbs and sugar, the rest takes care of itself.

Just cutting down on carbs makes a huge difference. Minimising bread, pasta, potatoes. Don't have to be silly about it, just take the opportunity to skip carbs from a meal, or have less of them, and it works wonders. Bread especially, I don't think its all that healthy. Wheat that is bred for production, lots of fertilisers and pesdcides. It is not the bread that people ate 100 years ago. If you can be sensible with carbs and sugar, the rest takes care of itself.

i respectfully disagree, carbs are fine. I don't cut carbs at all, fuel for energy in the gym. Calorie counting is key, knowing what you're consuming. I cut out all liquid calories, it's either water or a coke zero, espresso over latte, things like that. I skip breakfast (some call this intermittent fasting but ultimately, it's the same thing, eating less). I have a Biscoff ice cream after dinner (140 cals), ultimately i eat what i want as long as my overall goals are hit, exercise, high protein etc.

i respectfully disagree, carbs are fine. I don't cut carbs at all, fuel for energy in the gym. Calorie counting is key, knowing what you're consuming. I cut out all liquid calories, it's either water or a coke zero, espresso over latte, things like that. I skip breakfast (some call this intermittent fasting but ultimately, it's the same thing, eating less). I have a Biscoff ice cream after dinner (140 cals), ultimately i eat what i want as long as my overall goals are hit, exercise, high protein etc.

It's interesting to get different perspectives.

As a society, we are addicted to bread, pastry and wheat-based foods. Not sure how relevant it is, but if you look at human evolution, most of our history humans were foraging (fruits, plants, mushrooms) and eating meat. It was probably rare to be able to gorge on carbs when we were hunter-gathers. Until we started growing crops and cultivating wheat. But even then it wasn't all that easy with growing crops a lot harder than it is today. Today verities of wheat have been adapted to grow quickly and profitably, very different from the wild kinds of wheat our forefathers were able to cultivate. They are also infused with fertiliser, sprayed with stuff that kills bugs, and then highly processed. And this product is what powers most of us. Fine. No problem, but is it good for you? Probably not in the volume that we consume wheat-based foods. Everything in moderation is a good mantra. For me, its far better to go to the gym and be powered by carbs from fuits and veg and a little bit of wheat etc. you'll likely lose more weight too. Wholegrains like spelt bread or wholewheat pasta are probably better to indulge in when you do want carbs.

It's interesting to get different perspectives.

As a society, we are addicted to bread, pastry and wheat-based foods. Not sure how relevant it is, but if you look at human evolution, most of our history humans were foraging (fruits, plants, mushrooms) and eating meat. It was probably rare to be able to gorge on carbs when we were hunter-gathers. Until we started growing crops and cultivating wheat. But even then it wasn't all that easy with growing crops a lot harder than it is today. Today verities of wheat have been adapted to grow quickly and profitably, very different from the wild kinds of wheat our forefathers were able to cultivate. They are also infused with fertiliser, sprayed with stuff that kills bugs, and then highly processed. And this product is what powers most of us. Fine. No problem, but is it good for you? Probably not in the volume that we consume wheat-based foods. Everything in moderation is a good mantra. For me, its far better to go to the gym and be powered by carbs from fuits and veg and a little bit of wheat etc. you'll likely lose more weight too. Wholegrains like spelt bread or wholewheat pasta are probably better to indulge in when you do want carbs.

I'm one of the lucky ones, can eat more or less what I want and makes little difference.
Even when young and training I couldn't put weight on, good frame, broad shoulders, narrow hips but i just burn calories.
So I'm no expert, but is fruit not just sugar?

I'm one of the lucky ones, can eat more or less what I want and makes little difference.
Even when young and training I couldn't put weight on, good frame, broad shoulders, narrow hips but i just burn calories.
So I'm no expert, but is fruit not just sugar?

FFS, i hate you. I look at a milkshake and put on weight.

Also i have a very low calorie maintenance, around 1700 calories probably (i'm short), so it means i need very little food to function

I'm no expert, but is fruit not just sugar?
Not at all. There is sugar in fruit, so if you blend it / juice it and just drink the juice, that is a big sugar hit without much fibre.
But if you eat fruit, the sugars are contained in all of the fibre, so as you digest the fibre it slowly releases the sugar.
Basically - you should eat fruit, you should not drink juices as that is a big sugar hit.

Am vaguely thinking of buying some huel, ready to drink

I imagine it would be handy when I get peckish each day at 11 or perhaps even as a lunch replacement... has anyone tried it?

Vitamins and all food groups, allegedly.

Not cheap. £3 a bottle even if you buy loads. But then a simple milkshake at Tesco is getting on for that price nowadays.

https://uk.huel.com/products/huel-ready-to-drink

Am vaguely thinking of buying some huel, ready to drink

I imagine it would be handy when I get peckish each day at 11 or perhaps even as a lunch replacement... has anyone tried it?

Vitamins and all food groups, allegedly.

Not cheap. £3 a bottle even if you buy loads. But then a simple milkshake at Tesco is getting on for that price nowadays.

https://uk.huel.com/products/huel-ready-to-drink

You just reminded me that I bought a couple of large boxes of Huel 2 or 3 years ago. One of the boxes is still in the garage, long expired I'm guessing!

I lasted about 4 or 5 days of having one for lunch each day (Instead of having an unhealthy lunch at work). It was nice not having to worry about what to have but they tasted like drinking dirt! Maybe they have improved since then, I would assume so as you see them everywhere now, but when I had them I think it was online only.

Maybe try one first would be my suggestion.

I'm not sure it's a sustainable lifestyle choice but as a one off every now and again it's better than eating something unhealthy

Sounds like Gruel. So many tasty things to eat! Why eat a clever marketing campaign that tastes like cardboard? We need a quick healthy recipe thread. Even using a Microwave you can smash out quick healthy lunches.

Sounds like Gruel. So many tasty things to eat! Why eat a clever marketing campaign that tastes like cardboard? We need a quick healthy recipe thread. Even using a Microwave you can smash out quick healthy lunches.

It's definitely the part which I struggle with. I can keep up a regular exercise/ gym routine etc. but really struggle with quick and easy healthy meals. I dont mind cooking family dinners most days but really struggle with healthy lunches. I've tried bulk prepping (Like various chicken and veg meals like you see online) but it gets a bit tedious after a while.

Have you tried it? Just that if you haven't, it would be odd for you to have an opinion on what it tastes like.

Did you read 3 posts above? I've seen the ads and wondered what they tasted like. @dingdongo kindly outlined.

Thanks for clarifying that you haven't tried it! Might want to look up the notion of anecdotal evidence plus personal taste being unique before writing an idea / product off based on one online post but I understand that change / things being done differently is sometimes unsettling.

Thanks for clarifying that you haven't tried it! Might want to look up the notion of anecdotal evidence plus personal taste being unique before writing an idea / product off based on one online post but I understand that change / things being done differently is sometimes unsettling.

As we’re not conducting a randomised controlled trial, why don’t you just pile in and describe the taste yourself?

As we’re not conducting a randomised controlled trial, why don’t you just pile in and describe the taste yourself?

There's plenty of flavours, but I had a stint on the vanilla. I was a big fan, but appreciate that it's not going to be for everyone - For me preparing three meals a day was a ball ache so I'd have a decent breakfast, Huel or a natural protein shake during the day and then put more effort in to a proper evening meal... Obviously there's still a bit of prep but meant a good chunk of my intake was sorted without having a plan stuff.

I am going to blast back in the gym this weekend and have a plan laid out. Based on the above arguments easier for me as I am WFT but will also delve into the world of shakes as I am a strong believer of lift heavy and fuel quick after which stood me well in past.

My plan written by a fireman PT, which is good for me as I am 6 foot 2 and currently 17 stone is no food before 12, black coffee only before and water and then three meals between 12 and 8pm, no coffee also after noon as I switch, gym at 6pm and then post mean planned for 7:30 and then early night.

Key for me and always worked in past was, protect my body and frame, work round my day and sleep well. Loads of water and method in this plan ins 90% of the fast comes as you sleep so you don't really feel hungry despite the lack of meal after 8pm (I will be in bed by 10pm) and then no meal before noon. Its hugely manageable

Back