• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Greatest Book Ever Written

Can I suggest maybe adding poetry as a category for those that may enjoy it:

Poetry - Seamus Heaney Death of a Naturalist
General Fiction - To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Crime - Blind Man of Seville - Robert Wilson (Dawaxman you might like his books as they take the crime fiction to a different level than the identikit crime novels)
Classic Literature - The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling (if you count that as classical, if not let's go with dingdongen's Oliver twist)

How about a kid's/young adult category for books such as Harry Potter etc although my vote would go to anything from Roald Dahl

Special mention for Pompeii by Robert Harris too but not sure if top of the fiction list

I like the idea, but I don't think this will have the appeal of the album competition, just because there will be more books people haven't read than albums people haven't listened to. That said, I'll come up with my list on my lunch hour

Moby dingdong Herman Melville.
1984, Animal Farm, Homage to Catalonia George Orwell.
Triage Scottt Anderson.
Montana 1948 Larry Watson. (the anti-To Kill a Mockingbird.)
Henry V, Richard III William Shakespeare.

Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh (General Fiction?)
American Psyho - Bret Easton Ellis (Crime?)

Have you read the other Irvine Welsh Books, i think my favourite was probably Maribou Stork Nightmares and i quite liked ****o with the return of the Trainspotting boys.

This thread lead me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Library_100_Best_Novels

I didn't even know L Ron Hubbard was a novelist and had never heard of Ayn Rand...

I think that page might have been tampered with by some Scientologists. Never trust anything you read on the internet, especially wikipedia. I could go on there right now and declare myself the best writer ever, and I would be, for a few seconds at least.

I'll throw in Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham as a book I'd recommend everyone to read. Is it better to chase after a dream or settle for what you've got?

The Road by Cormac McCarthy was excellent. Fiction I guess.

I've like to add Hitchhikers Guide too as one of my favorites. Science Fiction

Natural history has had some powerful writers. Stephen Jay Goulds had a style that worked for me.

I think that page might have been tampered with by some Scientologists. Never trust anything you read on the internet, especially wikipedia. I could go on there right now and declare myself the best writer ever, and I would be, for a few seconds at least.

I'll throw in Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham as a book I'd recommend everyone to read. Is it better to chase after a dream or settle for what you've got?

Ayn Rand fans probably just as likely to be either editing the page or just overly influencing the polls in the first place. That being said, countdown to some Ayn Rand fan entering this thread initiated...

I enjoyed Of Human Bondage immensely and like all the Somerset Maugham books I've read so far.

Books I've enjoyed:
- Mr Clarinet by Nick Stone
- The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer
- Hell Across the Sea by Aage Krarup Nielsen

Do you guys ever do what I do, read 300/350 pages and then just put the book down if it's dragging out? I've done so on a few occasions.

Sent fra min HTC One via Tapatalk

Biography: Eminent Victorians ( first published in 1918), Lytton Strachey

Autobiography: Toward Freedom (first published in 1936), Jawaharlal Nehru

Science Fiction: The End of Eternity (first published in 1953), Isaac Asimov

Classical Literature: Anna Karenina (first published in 1877), Leo Tolstoy

General Fiction: The Guide (first published in 1953), R.K Narayan

Horror: At the Mountains of Madness and Other Novels (first published in 1964), H.P Lovecraft (short-story collection)

Crime: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (first published in 1892), Arthur Conan Doyle (short-story collection)

Non Fiction: Cosmos (first published in 1980), Carl Sagan

And three categories of my own:

Memoir: The Motorcycle Diaries (first published in 1993), Che Guevara

History: The Influence of Sea Power upon History (first published in 1890), Alfred Thayer Mahan

Travel: From the Holy Mountain (first published in 1997), William Dalrymple

Back