• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I'll give you most of his recent signings have been dire, Oxlade Chamberlain has been a good signing though. Alex Song?

Chamberlain looks a real prospect, but its early days.

I think you will find Song has been around a while, and even then is hardly a world beater.

Wenger had an amazing spell in the transfer market that cemented his reputation as someone who can really spot talent, buy a lump of coal and polish it into a diamond.

Wenger hasnt done it since though. He did get the odd one, Nasri for example - but he wasnt unknown, wasnt cheap and certainly wasnt 'like' the previous buys.

And now he just seems to get very average players (on the whole)

I think all of Arsenal's problems started due to their finance problems since moving to the new stadium. We have to think about this before moving to a new stadium ourselves. But still you have to give huge credit to Wenger for keeping them top 4 every year despite all the problems they have had.

If my interpretation of the plans are correct, we're mainly relying on the naming rights deal to fund the development. Loans from the banks will be in the 70-80 million pound range, which is easily manageable for a club with revenue streams like the ones we'll have once the stadium goes up. So I don't think we'll take on as much debt as they did, and subsequently, think we'll be able to spend money on the squad relatively easily without having to worry about reducing debt.

Speaking of which, 80 million in debt could be erased by the sale of Bale + Modders, with a bit left over (50+40 mill). Slightly unsettling, that.;)

Chamberlain looks a real prospect, but its early days.

I think you will find Song has been around a while, and even then is hardly a world beater.

Wenger had an amazing spell in the transfer market that cemented his reputation as someone who can really spot talent, buy a lump of coal and polish it into a diamond.

Wenger hasnt done it since though. He did get the odd one, Nasri for example - but he wasnt unknown, wasnt cheap and certainly wasnt 'like' the previous buys.

And now he just seems to get very average players (on the whole)

He missed out on Modric because he thought he was too small. :ross::ross:

I hate the net spend argument as I see that only for accounting and investor relation purposes. Ultimately if you spend 100m you spend 100m on players. Wenger spent 100m on a pile of crap - panic buying.

You sell a sub who never played for 100m but you spend 100m on 'improving' the first team - you still spent 100m.

I think it's very relevant. In my opinion more relevant than just the total spend. Toure, Clichy, Nasri, Fabregas and Adebayor haven't been subs who have never played, but key players for them and Wenger has been able to spend because they sold key players for tons of money. He hasn't spent that money particularly well all the time, but being forced into selling your best players is relevant.

Very true - but as I pointed out - take away the ?ú70m Emirates Marketing Project have handed them these last few seasons and it paints a very different picture.

Not that that was even my point, I was simply trying to show that Wenger habitually spends a lot more on players than people believe.

The myth that he only ever gets players for pennies seems to have become fact some way along the way.

And despite spending (relatively) big on players he just doesnt seem to get value for money at all. There are of course exceptions, but these are few and far between

I think we pretty much agree. I don't think City just handed them money though. Toure was a very good player and is still good, Arsenal have struggled to replace him ever since they sold him. Clichy isn't a world beater, but a good left back and one they have missed this season. Nasri was one of their best players and Walcott/Gervinho haven't come close to replacing him. Adebayor is very good, thinking that their striking options behind van Persie are beyond brick I would say they still haven't been able to replace him either.

Where I agree is that Wenger does spend more than some people in the media and some fans seem to believe. He spends quite a bit on youngster that often gets ignored and of course they spend big on wages. Still, keeping them in the top 4 for so long while breaking even or even making a profit in the transfer market is quite impressive. Ever since Reyes flopped though he has almost seemed scared of spending big in the transfer market and he's rather gone for several cheaper options hoping that one of them works out. I think it's hurt them, especially when compared to how Ferguson has repeatedly acted very decisively in the transfer market when needed, same of course for Mourinho while at Chelsea and Mancini at City even if they've had cheat mode turned on.

Someone needs to post this so as their macaronic fudgewit sandwich eating clam-following can see what broken promises actually look like!!!!!! Tottenham consistently provide youth outreach for the community from the club's pocket as a service to Haringay. All our planning work goes on above board. Those tossers at the death star wrote the book on broken stadium promises...again, read this. Incredible how thick they are not to know their own dirty club's dealings...

http://www.jonathanfreedland.com/articles/other-publications/winners-losers-and-broken-promises

This the guy that writes as sam bourne? very good books his.

This the guy that writes as sam bourne? very good books his.

yes mate...don't know his fiction, going to check one out once i've got through the three books i'm working through right now...currently re-reading Stoker's Dracula, fudging top-drawer! oh, thread-relevant? fudge the gooners!!!!!

yes mate...don't know his fiction, going to check one out once i've got through the three books i'm working through right now...currently re-reading Stoker's Dracula, fudging top-drawer! oh, thread-relevant? fudge the gooners!!!!!

They are thrillers, i have read 2 he might be a leftie but he writes good books, to many long words at times but the wife is always on hand if i get stuck.

Every manager gets things wrong. Look at the players he has signed, most of them for fudge all:

Henry
Vieira
Petit
Overmars
Nasri
Van Persie
Vermaelen
Clichy (not as good as he used to be but he was probably the best left back in the league for a season or two)
Pires
Adebayor

Not to forget:

Ljungberg
Bergkamp
Kluivert

He did a real overhaul of the dinosaurs of Arsenal in the 90's, say what you want about Wenger (and most of it is probably true too), but you can't take away the man's ability to sign quality once in a while.

Whinger need professional help:
Ars?¿ne Wenger has suggested that Arsenal should regard the prospect of securing fourth place in the Premier League and entry into next season's Champions League qualifying round as comparable to winning a cup. "The first trophy is to finish in the top four," said Arsenal's manager in the wake of Saturday's 2-0 FA Cup fifth-round defeat at Sunderland. "And that's still possible. I believe finishing fourth is vital for us, so let's focus on that."
Barring a Champions League miracle in the second leg of a tie in which Milan lead 4-0, Wenger is contemplating a seventh consecutive season without a trophy. The Frenchman's critics believe he is in denial about Arsenal's current decline but on Saturday evening Wenger mounted a robust defence of a team which Roy Keane, working as an ITV pundit, said was the worst Arsenal side he had watched and one who are letting their manager down.
"That we lost here is basically down to the fact that we had to give a lot in Milan on Wednesday night and then we had to travel again, and that is difficult for any team in the world," Wenger said. "But I thought it was a good performance from us."

Ars?¿ne Wenger has suggested that Arsenal should regard the prospect of securing fourth place in the Premier League and entry into next season's Champions League qualifying round as comparable to winning a cup. "The first trophy is to finish in the top four," said Arsenal's manager in the wake of Saturday's 2-0 FA Cup fifth-round defeat at Sunderland. "And that's still possible. I believe finishing fourth is vital for us, so let's focus on that."
Barring a Champions League miracle in the second leg of a tie in which Milan lead 4-0, Wenger is contemplating a seventh consecutive season without a trophy. The Frenchman's critics believe he is in denial about Arsenal's current decline but on Saturday evening Wenger mounted a robust defence of a team which Roy Keane, working as an ITV pundit, said was the worst Arsenal side he had watched and one who are letting their manager down.
"That we lost here is basically down to the fact that we had to give a lot in Milan on Wednesday night and then we had to travel again, and that is difficult for any team in the world," Wenger said. "But I thought it was a good performance from us."

This is arguably worse than his 'I want over-21 loans banned, even though I loaned Benayoun' spiel.

Wow. Honestly you could be right about him not being right in the head. Either that or he genuinely has no respect for the press (fair play if so) and is just deliberately making ridiculous statements whilst privately acknowledging the problems at his club. But if he really does think like this, then scum fans should be very very worried.

Wow. Honestly you could be right about him not being right in the head. Either that or he genuinely has no respect for the press (fair play if so) and is just deliberately making ridiculous statements whilst privately acknowledging the problems at his club. But if he really does think like this, then scum fans should be very very worried.

Whilst on the subject of those clams, noticed the gooner forum has been locked down - apparently to much in fighting and wenger abuse going on

"There are a lot of frustrated Gooners around at the moment and don't for one minute think that I'm not one of them.

The Gooner has always been about providing a platform for Arsenal fans to have their say and this forum has been an extension of that. However, I strongly believe that it's possible to do that in a respectful manner, but unfortunately that seems to be beyond some people.

Therefore, for the time being and with regret, I've decided to suspend the forum with immediate effect.

I apologise to everyone who uses the forum and abides by the (extremely lenient) guidelines for use. It's always a shame when the majority have things spoilt by the few."

clamS

When I read quotes from him I can hear his silly voice in my head. That's the worst part of it.

you know he's French, don't you? Thats why he speaks in an outrageous French accent.................

then he waves his private parts at you, and farts in your general direction.

you know he's French, don't you? Thats why he speaks in an outrageous French accent.................

then he waves his private parts at you, and farts in your general direction.

You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, son of a silly person! I blow my nose at you

Back