• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Why?
Wenger has done a fantastic job at Arsenal. Being a Spurs doesn't stop me admiring other teams managers and players, or should I say, it should not!

One of the best manager displays I have seen was when Mourinho took his Chelsea team to City when they were in there pomp a few seasons back, they were running away with the title and got a brilliant draw!

Can't stand the man but he can manage well sadly!

I love football AND support Spurs.

I agree he's done a fantastic job and is massively under appreciated by their support. However I'm quite happy to see his reign end that way rather than the alternative which is them reeling in trophy after trophy and being a member of the European elite and out of our reach.
Its more about them being successful being bad for us. He's had the Indian sign over us for the entire time he's been there. Him leaving can't come soon enough for me.

I agree he's done a fantastic job and is massively under appreciated by their support. However I'm quite happy to see his reign end that way rather than the alternative which is them reeling in trophy after trophy and being a member of the European elite and out of our reach.
Its more about them being successful being bad for us. He's had the Indian sign over us for the entire time he's been there. Him leaving can't come soon enough for me.

Wenger was a great manager for his first 6 or 7 seasons, where he had a distinct advantage in the league (more tactical/progressive, against mostly british managers, good grasp of talent on continent).

As the PL got better, his flaws have shown up, and the biggest are lack of adaptability, inability to see gaps in his team, persistence with players who never make next step or continuously injured (and injury management has to be a big black mark for him as well).

Two views of Wenger

- Very good record for Scum all up, has kept them in CL forever, helps club achieve it's fiscal goals, will probably be their best manager ever
- For last 7 years he has turned them from starting the season as title/cup contenders into a club that finishes 4th. Inability to make any headway in CL despite some 15+ strait years of participation is also a negative. But perhaps the biggest blemish he will walk away with is last season, the failure to win the league when every "legitimate" (money doping) contender out of the running, and lets Leicester win it ...

I no longer rate Wenger, but I do think the Scum will struggle mightily when he goes. The lack of transition planning is going to kill them. He probably should have been promoted into board two years ago (when they won their first trophy in 6 or 7 years), and they should have grabbed a top level manager then. Now the best managers are at clubs that have bigger budgets, better squads ...

He probably should have been promoted into board two years ago (when they won their first trophy in 6 or 7 years), and they should have grabbed a top level manager then. Now the best managers are at clubs that have bigger budgets, better squads ...

I think that he would be a nightmare if moved upstairs and would find it impossible not to interfere

Probably true .. hence the dilemma they face.

I think that the best outcome for them would have been if he'd upped and left for PSG when they came into the money. I cannot see him leaving for another club now and I don't think that he will give it up easily either. I thought that this was telling:

“It’s been my life and, honestly, I’m quite scared of the day,” Wenger says. “The longer I wait, the more difficult it will be and the more difficult it will be to lose the addiction.

“After Alex retired and we played them over there [at Manchester United] he sent a message to me to come up and have a drink with him. I asked: ‘Do you miss it?’ He said: ‘Not at all.’ I didn’t understand that. It’s an emptiness in your life, especially when you’ve lived your whole life waiting for the next game and trying to win it.”​

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/08/arsene-wenger-scared-arsenal-retirement

Sad to see his legacy being diluted by the board allowing think to stagnate for so long.

On the contrary, it couldn't happen to a better club...may his slow demise continue to tinkle off their fans and PLEASE can this be the season we finally finish above them....

Wenger was a great manager for his first 6 or 7 seasons, where he had a distinct advantage in the league (more tactical/progressive, against mostly british managers, good grasp of talent on continent).

I think that they have been on the slide since David Dein left. Wenger is too indecisive to be left in charge of transfers and it appears that there is no one who can manage him since Dein was forced out.

Back