• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I think Wheelchair and their keeper have winning mentalities, Vermalen too and probably a few others.

Have they got more mental strength than us - we'll probably find out this season, as it seems ability-wise we're fairly level.

The crowd are key to this as well.

So far this season Arsenal's fans seem better than ours home and away, but I might be wrong.

Certainly our crowd is very poor at home, perhaps the worst in the lge, and while we have good away support, so do most clubs and I've been massively impressed by Arsenal's away support. During the Bradford debacle they were immense for the most part, I don't think our crowd would have been as good.

Another key point is the manager - Wenger had it over Harry IMHO - but in AVB may have met his match

Wheelchair maybe, although it can be argued he's just a mouthy kid right about now. Not really the type to drag them single handed to a result like RVP would have.

Who else? Vermaelen? Meh. Been poor this season by a lot of accounts. Carzola's good but we've got plenty of talent too. I'd say their biggest 'winner' right now is Theo - he seems to have grown up a bit this season and they've decided not to play him much...so good for us.

OT Sol Campbell Says Theo Must Stay and Be Loyal...

Sorry I had to give this its own thread, seriously is Campbell mental, after what that two bit **** did, he has no shame, left every club he was ever at for nothing so he could line his own pockets

Funny seeing Sugar abuse Piers Morgan about it on twitter too

Arsenal cannot afford to let Theo Walcott leave the club, according to ex-Gunners defender Sol Campbell.

The 23-year-old England forward has yet to agree a new contract, with his current deal set to expire next summer.
Continue reading the main story

“It is a critical moment because if you don't get it right in January then you can just forget the rest of the season”

Sol Campbell

"Theo is a big player," Campbell told BBC Sport. "You don't want to lose him for the best years of his football.

"For the next five years, I'd pay to keep him. He's a young lad, a good lad who scores goals, and you need to keep those types of players."

With Walcott entering the final six months of his deal and the transfer window about to open, Campbell added: "January is very critical. It is a critical moment because if you don't get it right in January you can just forget the rest of the season."

Following the departures of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri and Robin van Persie in recent years, Walcott could become the latest high-profile exit.

"People love him, people hate him - but Theo is a good player, a great player, and he's growing every year," said Campbell.

"You can't lose him because his contract is running out or he wants a little bit more money. You've got to keep those type of players. We've lost too many over time.

"It used to be losing these players at 30 years old - now they're losing these players at mid-20s and that's crazy. You can't be losing players at mid-20s because of contract situations - it's crazy now."

Campbell made 211 appearances in two spells at Arsenal, winning two league titles and two FA Cups, and scoring in the 2006 Champions League final

But his former club have not won a trophy since the 2005 FA Cup, were stunned by League Two Bradford City in the Capital One Cup this month and are 15 points behind Premier League leaders Manchester United.

Arsene Wenger's side returned to form with victory at Reading on Monday and are in the last 16 of the Champions League for a 13th consecutive season, but Campbell feels it is vital they bolster their squad in January.

"I think they should find some money somewhere and get some top players in and just go for it," said the 38-year-old.

"They have some top players, but I just don't think there's enough. Jack Wheelchair epitomises what Arsenal are all about. He's got drive, a great football head, he wants to win. Arsenal need a few more like that."

The money available to Wenger for signings and salaries was restricted by Arsenal's move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium in 2006.

But they posted another impressive set of financial results in 2012 and will be boosted by a new £150m sponsorship deal with Emirates Airline

"Arsenal are not in a situation where they are going to go out of business," Campbell explained. "They can actually hedge their bets and go for it.

"It's about gambling at the right time and I think now it's a critical moment to gamble, to buy players, to invest in them.

"We can't keep on losing top players because you're never going to build anything. If top players are going to invest in you, you've got to invest in them. They won't take half [the money] to come to Arsenal. Arsenal are not at that level.

"They've got a wage structure they don't want to break. I think that's a big problem with attracting the real top players."

Arsenal's mixed start to the season has seen Wenger face intense criticism, but Campbell says the Frenchman should remain in charge.

"He is the right man for the job, but he has to realise that the playing landscape has changed and the market has changed," he added.

"You've got to sometimes take a risk. Taking a punt on a player 10 years ago for £500,000 might now be £7m. You can't always get these £500,000 players, turn them into great players and sell them for £20m.

"Seven years plus without a trophy for Arsenal is too long. Arsene would be the first to say that. Why not wait until January and just go for it?"

Last edited:
Re: OT Sol Campbell Says Theo Must Stay and Be Loyal...

Campbell is a prick but doesnt say anything like that in the quotes. Only mentioning of 'loyal' is in the headline.

I think Wheelchair and their keeper have winning mentalities, Vermalen too and probably a few others.

Have they got more mental strength than us - we'll probably find out this season, as it seems ability-wise we're fairly level.

The crowd are key to this as well.

So far this season Arsenal's fans seem better than ours home and away, but I might be wrong.

Certainly our crowd is very poor at home, perhaps the worst in the lge, and while we have good away support, so do most clubs and I've been massively impressed by Arsenal's away support. During the Bradford debacle they were immense for the most part, I don't think our crowd would have been as good.

Another key point is the manager - Wenger had it over Harry IMHO - but in AVB may have met his match

Ehhhh???? Didn't Harry win more league games against Wenger than he lost??

I'd like to know what you mean by 'winning mentality': I don't think they have ANY winners in that side. RVP was the last one to actually win a trophy in England and even that was as a bit-part player before the penalty shoot-out in 2005.

Time will tell of course...

Last edited:
Wheelchair maybe, although it can be argued he's just a mouthy kid right about now. Not really the type to drag them single handed to a result like RVP would have.

Who else? Vermaelen? Meh. Been poor this season by a lot of accounts. Carzola's good but we've got plenty of talent too. I'd say their biggest 'winner' right now is Theo - he seems to have grown up a bit this season and they've decided not to play him much...so good for us.

All about opinions, I'm happy with my list. I think all the ones I've mentioned have got winners mentality, and there's no doubt at all about Wheelchair for me. He could be Arsenal's new Adams, the kid is unbelievable the way he drags Arsenal forward despite his tender years.

Ehhhh???? Didn't Harry win more league games against Wenger than he lost??

I'd like to know what you mean by 'winning mentality': I don't think they have ANY winners in that side. RVP was the last one to actually win a trophy in England and even that was as a bit-part player before the penalty shoot-out in 2005.

Time will tell of course...
Ehhhh???? - Arsenal finished above us every season Wenger and Redknapp went head to head, and along with Chelsea robbed us of a CL spot last season - I stand by my statement, no problem, it's not a statement I like to make, but it's one I believe to be true..

Regarding winners - they have quite a few with winning mentality in their side as I've already indicated.

No-one in our side has won a trophy with us, a few have with other clubs, ditto doubtless Arsenal.

Last edited:
Ehhhh???? - Arsenal finished above us every season Wenger and Redknapp went head to head - I stand by my statement, no problem.

Yes, but didn't we massively close the gap under Harry?? We have been finishing behind Arsenal for years and long before Harry got to uis; plus the gaps were so large that St Totteringham's day was often in early April.
Perhaps your statement should be 'Wenger has had it over every Spurs manager since he's been with Arsenal and only Harry and Jol got close to overtaking him and now I think that AVB will overtake Wenger'.

Also, please can you describe what you mean by 'winning mentality'.

So him saying Theo should sign a deal isnt him saying he should be loyal ???

Diff to what Sugar and Morgan are going on about on twitter then...

Yes, but didn't we massively close the gap under Harry?? We have been finishing behind Arsenal for years and long before Harry got to uis; plus the gaps were so large that St Totteringham's day was often in early April.
Perhaps your statement should be 'Wenger has had it over every Spurs manager since he's been with Arsenal and only Harry and Jol got close to overtaking him and now I think that AVB will overtake Wenger'.

Also, please can you describe what you mean by 'winning mentality'.

Am happy to rejig that statement along your lines if you wish, but I stand by my original statement as well.

What I mean by 'winning mentality' is the ability to win games, that simple.

Arsenal have more shown more of that mentality throughout Wenger's reign than any of our managers. Remember unlike Harry and Jol with us, Wenger has won trophies with Arsenal, stacks of them actually including more titles than we've won in our entire 130 year history.

We'll see who does the business at the end of the season, I think most of us agree there's little to choose between the squads in terms of playing ability.

I think things like winning mentality, managerial nous, will play a huge part.

Of course you could say winning mentality is part of playing ability, then we just see who has the most ability in that case.

Luck does play a part too, I don't believe the 'table never lies', I think it blatantly tells porkies at times, like last season, when Arsenal and Chelsea were incredibly lucky to rob of us of CL, but tell that to Chelsea and Arsenal supporters, they really weren't 'bovvered' :)

I read it as Arsenal should up their offer and pay him what he wants because they can't afford to keep losing players of his calibre.

That's not about theos loyalty at all..

I did only skim read it though..

I read it as Arsenal should up their offer and pay him what he wants because they can't afford to keep losing players of his calibre.

That's not about theos loyalty at all..

I did only skim read it though..

That's the way i read it as well :-k

Yep no criticism of Walcott in there at all. In fact, he's criticising the club for not paying him enough, which pretty much sums up what Campbell has always been about

Am happy to rejig that statement along your lines if you wish, but I stand by my original statement as well.

What I mean by 'winning mentality' is the ability to win games, that simple.

Arsenal have more shown more of that mentality throughout Wenger's reign than any of our managers. Remember unlike Harry and Jol with us, Wenger has won trophies with Arsenal, stacks of them actually including more titles than we've won in our entire 130 year history.

We'll see who does the business at the end of the season, I think most of us agree there's little to choose between the squads in terms of playing ability.

I think things like winning mentality, managerial nous, will play a huge part.

Of course you could say winning mentality is part of playing ability, then we just see who has the most ability in that case.

Luck does play a part too, I don't believe the 'table never lies', I think it blatantly tells porkies at times, like last season, when Arsenal and Chelsea were incredibly lucky to rob of us of CL, but tell that to Chelsea and Arsenal supporters, they really weren't 'bovvered' :)

Fair points.

I think however it could also be said that Wenger 'had' a bigger winning mentality in the past; he has slowly been less and less able to re-create, though of course he does have the experience of winning in the first place.

Time will tell, but hopefully we can finally prove this year to be able to surpass them; it really would lead to mass suicide in the Gooner fan ranks; they REALLY wouldn't be able to handle being beneath us.

COYS

Well i agree with you mark it deserves its own thread, because campbell is a **** and any chance we get to see this we should always highlight it.

Some of the others just want to be a bit silly and go on about what is actually said rather then see what the two face hypercritical prick is implying.

Maybe Sol should come out of retirement and sign for Zenit, I'm sure those fans would love him

Back