• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I think us and Arsenal have similar level squads and best XIs.

I think in a joint first XI we'd both provide 5 players. Who'd produce the 6th would mainly depend on formation, philosophy, etc.

For me, Lloris Sandro Dembele JV and Bale are in from our side, maybe one of Defoe Ade Lennon, hard to call.

My guess is for Arsenal to get 7pts from their next 3 games, we'll need 6 from ours to keep above them I reckon.

Sat 22 Dec 2012 - Premier League WiganvArsenal 12:45
Wed 26 Dec 2012 - Premier League ArsenalvWest Ham 15:00
Sat 29 Dec 2012 - Premier League ArsenalvNewcastle 17:30
Tue 1 Jan 2013 - Premier League SouthamptonvArsenal

Come on Wigan!!
They are so due a result.

I think us and Arsenal have similar level squads and best XIs.

I think in a joint first XI we'd both provide 5 players. Who'd produce the 6th would mainly depend on formation, philosophy, etc.

For me, Lloris Sandro Dembele JV and Bale are in from our side, maybe one of Defoe Ade Lennon, hard to call.

My guess is for Arsenal to get 7pts from their next 3 games, we'll need 6 from ours to keep above them I reckon.

Last year Arsenal had a stronger first XI because they had Van Persie - having a striker who can score 30 goals like that makes a massive difference to a team. People talk about us losing Modric, but we will feel that half as much as a team would losing RVP considering the impact he has on the team. Plenty of teams play good football and hold the ball well, you dont need Modric to do that (but it helps). Not many teams in the history of the PL have had a striker score the amount RVP did, especially with a goal out of nothing ability like RVP had.

Now they have lost him if we don't finish above them it will be criminal.

Last year Arsenal had a stronger first XI because they had Van Persie - having a striker who can score 30 goals like that makes a massive difference to a team. People talk about us losing Modric, but we will feel that half as much as a team would losing RVP considering the impact he has on the team. Plenty of teams play good football and hold the ball well, you dont need Modric to do that (but it helps). Not many teams in the history of the PL have had a striker score the amount RVP did, especially with a goal out of nothing ability like RVP had.

Now they have lost him if we don't finish above them it will be criminal.

Absolutely. The RVP tray joke kept me going at work last term. He was absolutely phenomenal and this term United are 5th behind us if he was not signed.

Paper review on SSN was amusing, Custis, laughing at Wenger saying the crisis is over and they are back, etc and how over the top Oliver Holt is in his piece today in defence of Wenger..

He said put it in perspective they beat an awful Reading no more

HI Golfball, if we don't finish above Arsenal, it won't be criminal, IMHO. It'll be par for the course, to use a golfing analogy :) Arsenal and ourselves have similar level squads and first XIs, but they have history on their side overwhelmingly.

Arsenal are favourites to finish above us this season and for good reason, they normally do and have enough of a squad to do it again.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-4-finish/exchanges

We are going to have rack up the points in our relatively easy run to stand a decent chance of top 4 I reckon. I think 9 from the next 4 will probably be needed, 8 would be okay, anything less and I can see Arsenal being even stronger favs after the next 4 games.

Last edited:

Come on Wigan!!

Haven't Wigan been decent this season? I have it in my head that they're the kind of team that can get results against anyone, but that might just be in my head.

Come on Wigan!!

Haven't Wigan been decent this season? I have it in my head that they're the kind of team that can get results against anyone, but that might just be in my head.

Edit: Arsenal - West Ham could get interesting, I don't think Allardyce and Wenger are the best of friends and generally Arsenal don't enjoy playing against West Ham style teams, could see Carroll give them some problems if he's fit.

Piers Morgan saying that he fears Cazorla and Wheelchair will be sold to Manchester United during the January transfer window, mostly in jest but we can only hope!

Why's he still tweeting? Doesn't he have a date with the Santa Monica Pier (no relation) following the RVP sale.

Edit: Arsenal - West Ham could get interesting, I don't think Allardyce and Wenger are the best of friends and generally Arsenal don't enjoy playing against West Ham style teams, could see Carroll give them some problems if he's fit.

Wigan had a very easy start to the season, but have resorted to type. Some nice passing, but little in terms of results.

Wigan had a very easy start to the season, but have resorted to type. Some nice passing, but little in terms of results.

And their win against us was the low point of our season, forget Everton away, the way we lost to them at home truly shocking, the result that could kill us in May.

And their win against us was the low point of our season, forget Everton away, the way we lost to them at home truly shocking, the result that could kill us in May.

Any result in which we have not gotten all the points are the results that 'could kill us in may'..

Come on Wigan!!

so they played Reading then that rum bunch.

what a spawny lot, with that run of fixtures, just when they're under pressure.

I don't really think Arsenal have this amazing winning mentality. I think they are a confidence squad. When it's going well for them it goes very well, when it isn't they retreat into their shells. If they had a winning mentality I think they'd have made a bigger fist of a title challenge over the past few years.

RVP had a winning mentality. Probably their last player that did. He was the one that got them out of trouble. This current crop...I don't actually fear too much and their win over us was seriously lucky and papered over the cracks.

We all play 19 teams twice.

Just wait until January!

Southampton (A)
Swansea (A) - FA CUP
Emirates Marketing Project (H)
Chelsea (A)
Liverpool (H)

Well yes and no, we all have to play the same teams. We have a relatively easy run too in the next four games. I take your point about being under pressure, but had they had an easy run earlier maybe they wouldn't be under pressure, but sitting above us, with us under pressure.

I don't really think Arsenal have this amazing winning mentality. I think they are a confidence squad. When it's going well for them it goes very well, when it isn't they retreat into their shells. If they had a winning mentality I think they'd have made a bigger fist of a title challenge over the past few years.

RVP had a winning mentality. Probably their last player that did. He was the one that got them out of trouble. This current crop...I don't actually fear too much and their win over us was seriously lucky and papered over the cracks.

I think Wheelchair and their keeper have winning mentalities, Vermalen too and probably a few others.

Have they got more mental strength than us - we'll probably find out this season, as it seems ability-wise we're fairly level.

The crowd are key to this as well.

So far this season Arsenal's fans seem better than ours home and away, but I might be wrong.

Certainly our crowd is very poor at home, perhaps the worst in the lge, and while we have good away support, so do most clubs and I've been massively impressed by Arsenal's away support. During the Bradford debacle they were immense for the most part, I don't think our crowd would have been as good.

Another key point is the manager - Wenger had it over Harry IMHO - but in AVB may have met his match

Arsenal's home support is even worse than ours (and that's saying something!). Crowd there are very negative at the moment, and not afraid to express it. Other than that, they're as quiet as ever.

Back