• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Must be a Generation thing.

if you went through the nineties as a Spurs fan, almost getting relegated and mostly being mid table then I dont get too uspet with the current team
. As far as I am concerned this is liquid football and the best I have ever seen my team play apart from the late 80's when I was only a nipper.

So must be the johnny come lately's that have this attitude.
. ,

Exactly. I went through the 70s and we did get relegated, we were pants. Like you say, these times are probably up there with the best, if not the best times I have enjoyed as a Spurs fan.
Unfortunately, having endured the bad times and seen many implosions, it is hard to not worry there is one around the corner, but match -by-match, month-by-month, those thoughts are dwindling, albeit slowly

To be fair, there used to be a lot of moaning in the stands. Our upward rise has slowly reduced it, so that it's fairly rare to hear someone shout "WHAT THE fudge ARE YOU DOING YOU [insert stereotype] clam!"

. ,

Exactly. I went through the 70s and we did get relegated, we were pants. Like you say, these times are probably up there with the best, if not the best times I have enjoyed as a Spurs fan.
Unfortunately, having endured the bad times and seen many implosions, it is hard to not worry there is one around the corner, but match -by-match, month-by-month, those thoughts are dwindling, albeit slowly

Luckily I was playing in the 70's so only saw a few games, but it was depressing sitting in the dressing room listen to Sports Report and an other defeat.
Always remember hearing us winning 4-1 at United with Peters getting them all.

I was chatting to a Watford fan the other day, season ticket holder for many years. And a nouvea riche Cheatski fan.
Watford asked why I chose Spurs.
I said that in the 80s when I was a little kid picking a team, Spurs were very good and I didn't want to pick Liverpool because my brother supported them, so I chose Spurs.
Cheatski piped up and said "Eh, good in the 80s, Spurs??? When was that?!!!!"
So I told him we won the FA Cup in 81 82 and UEFA Cup in 84 and could have won the league a couple of times, got kicked out of Europe by Barca and IIRC Real Madrid had to pay the ref a bung to get past us blah blah and won the FA Cup in 91...then there was a huge bleak period in the 90s and 00s with only 2 League Cups and lots of mid table rubbish.
Watford couldn't believe that I thought it was bleak.
From his perspective we had been riding high year after year, living the high life.
I said how depressing it was to be mired in mid table as the Goons went unbeaten and won leagues and cups and even recently won FA Cup after FA Cup.
Again he couldn't believe it, from his perspective we should have been happy as Larry, from a Watford perspective.

I was chatting to a Watford fan the other day, season ticket holder for many years. And a nouvea riche Cheatski fan.
I said that in the 80s when I was a little kid picking a team, Spurs were very good and I didn't want to pick Liverpool because my brother supported them, so I chose Spurs.
So I told him we won the FA Cup in 81 82 and UEFA Cup in 84 and could have won the league a couple of times, got kicked out of Europe by Barca and IIRC Real Madrid had to pay the ref a bung to get past us blah blah and won the FA Cup in 91...then there was a huge bleak period in the 90s and 00s with only 2 League Cups and lots of mid table rubbish.
From his perspective we had been riding high year after year, living the high life.
I said how depressing it was to be mired in mid table as the Goons went unbeaten and won leagues and cups and even recently won FA Cup after FA Cup.
Again he couldn't believe it, from his perspective we should have been happy as Larry, from a Watford perspective.

I've got a Blackpool supporting mate who likes to remind me that our failure is better than their success

I'd heard that he rated him highly, I hadn't heard him say that the Arsenal thing was an issue. If he's linked to any English club it's Everton. I thought that we had tried to get him in but Pep pipped us.

I'm sure that he's a decent coach but it'd be an impossible job with Wenger still around and he would be too inexperienced to tell him to fudge off.

Absolutely this!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Its all perpsepctives

The arse fans moaning have never had it so good after Wenger came...

Now others have caught up and over took them their disgruntled

Man6 man6 fans would bite their hand off for finishing 6th, but again many many fans wouldn’t pay the crazy price s the get asked to

All supporters are guilty of having a very insular view about what constitutes a disaster for their team and we're no different. In recent years the period under AVB/Sherwood felt like the end of the world yet we finished 6th that season and qualified comfortably for the Europa League. Prior to that 2 points from 8 games in 2008 felt horrendous, being in a relegation battle under Pleat in 2004 and then most of the 90s were embracing moments to be a football fan. However, you only have to look at some of our traditional advseraries like Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Leeds who have suffered (in the latter's case a prolonged) relegation. Heck even City had to deal with 3rd division football for a season. Take a further step back and you consider the likes of Coventry City who have lost their identity, Leyton Orient - their football league status and Wimbledon (back in the day) who have lost their club all together.

The reality of the situation is surely that Woolwich has reached its nadir - the way football is now they (and us) are virtually guaranteed top 6, european football, brand exposure and all that comes with it for the foreseeable future - unless of course a mid-tabler (Everton perhaps) suddenly gets rich/good and joins the party.

Lets enjoy this situation for what it is!

Mate, lets be clear, I'm laughing all the way .. but a few thoughts

- We 10-12 years ago were in a very different place, we either got our brick together or we would have faded like those teams you mentioned vs. the pretend disaster of AVB/Sherwood (btw, I remember during MJ's era, all 3 of those you named had significantly better records in the PL era). Levy steered us out of danger.
- The Scum is in an interesting place, there is a problem in the club that just changing Wenger isn't going to address, at best they will have a Pool/Manu drift for a few years of 6th-8th, most likely their cash will allow them to stay in top 6.

in any other club wenger would have course have been out 3,4,5 years ago, I still think there's a 50/50 chance he's there next season, its clear he wields extraordinary power there, Gazidis won't say anything to him and Kroenke doesn't care about winning, just about creating revenue which is what the club is still just about doing, its a riveting car crash to watch.

in any other club wenger would have course have been out 3,4,5 years ago, I still think there's a 50/50 chance he's there next season, its clear he wields extraordinary power there, Gazidis won't say anything to him and Kroenke doesn't care about winning, just about creating revenue which is what the club is still just about doing, its a riveting car crash to watch.

Scouting & negotiation appointments above Wenger's head this year, and wee Josh Kroenke apparently getting involved. It really does suggest a change of manager before too long, the joyous thing is that there's every chance of a dreadful choice.

Mate, lets be clear, I'm laughing all the way .. but a few thoughts

- We 10-12 years ago were in a very different place, we either got our brick together or we would have faded like those teams you mentioned vs. the pretend disaster of AVB/Sherwood (btw, I remember during MJ's era, all 3 of those you named had significantly better records in the PL era). Levy steered us out of danger.
- The Scum is in an interesting place, there is a problem in the club that just changing Wenger isn't going to address, at best they will have a Pool/Manu drift for a few years of 6th-8th, most likely their cash will allow them to stay in top 6.
Two things. When talking about the Seville v Spurs uefa qtr final in another thread, it surpirised me that that was 11 years ago, and lasagne-gate 12 years ago. So even back then we were doing good under MJ and arguably no worse than HR and the AVB years, basically pushing for CL which is about par for our resources. It is only Poch that has made us punch above our weight, with a system that includes 100% teamwork and ever increasing mental strngth and belief. And although Levy has been a marvel of the pitch he has lucked out with Poch, and beautifully so.

I agree that changing Wenger isn't the silver bullet. Arsenal need to luck out if they are to bounce back quickly. They have cash but consecutive CL qualification failures (it's 6 into 4 these days)will take its toll, unless, as i say they luck out with a boss who doesn't care too much about money pouring in. Good luck with that.
They also have more contract issues to sort out, the shadow of Wenger (moving him upstairs would be a disaster), and a flaky bunch of players.

Two things. When talking about the Seville v Spurs uefa qtr final in another thread, it surpirised me that that was 11 years ago, and lasagne-gate 12 years ago. So even back then we were doing good under MJ and arguably no worse than HR and the AVB years, basically pushing for CL which is about par for our resources. It is only Poch that has made us punch above our weight, with a system that includes 400% teamwork and ever increasing mental strngth and belief. And although Levy has been a marvel of the pitch he has lucked out with Poch, and beautifully so.

I agree that changing Wenger isn't the silver bullet. Arsenal need to luck out if they are to bounce back quickly. They have cash but consecutive CL qualification failures (it's 6 into 4 these days)will take its toll, unless, as i say they luck out with a boss who doesn't care too much about money pouring in. Good luck with that.
They also have more contract issues to sort out, the shadow of Wenger (moving him upstairs would be a disaster), and a flaky bunch of players.

Poch is doing a fantastic job, but if we didn’t have him Levy would have found someone else to keep the progress going.

Back