• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I do enjoy watching them rant about how bad they are... After all the stick we have had to endure over the years it really is fantastic..

I couldn't help but think yesterday as to how many of their players would get in our team... My hopefully unbiased answer is none of them.. Aubameyang as back up to Harry is about it. Wonderful.

Come on you beautiful Spurs...

Whatever happened to that guy who just defended Wenger about everything? Was it Neymar? Not seen him here for 18 months, this was the only thread he posted in, but he wasn’t an Arsenal fan!

I think you've sort of answered your own question.

All supporters are guilty of having a very insular view about what constitutes a disaster for their team and we're no different. In recent years the period under AVB/Sherwood felt like the end of the world yet we finished 6th that season and qualified comfortably for the Europa League. Prior to that 2 points from 8 games in 2008 felt horrendous, being in a relegation battle under Pleat in 2004 and then most of the 90s were embracing moments to be a football fan. However, you only have to look at some of our traditional advseraries like Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Leeds who have suffered (in the latter's case a prolonged) relegation. Heck even City had to deal with 3rd division football for a season. Take a further step back and you consider the likes of Coventry City who have lost their identity, Leyton Orient - their football league status and Wimbledon (back in the day) who have lost their club all together.

Then you look at Woolwich fans - in the interests of balance lets recognise that most of them who were supporting Woolwich prior to 1988 knew some fairly mediocre times during the 70s and 80s when it was common for them to finish beneath us. I generally apply the rule that if they can remember Perry Groves and Gus Caeser they're not too bad.

Yet, there are the many who latched on to the Ian Wright and Henry/Bergkamp teams under Wenger and signed up purely for the glory believing that they have a personal entitlement to success - in many cases most of them see supporting Arsenal as a symbol of social superiority particulalrly over SPurs fans. We all know there;s a truth in the statement that 'you don't choose your team, your team chooses you' - and for so many of the 00s Gooners this is exactly the case. As the years have progressed their arguments have gradually eroded away. This is not what they signed up and they can't deal with it -it's like the kid at school from the wealthy family who has all the private tutoring, gets dropped off in the 4x4, goes on the most expensive holidays only for daddy's company to go tits up and the kid he bullied for years suddenly gets the better exam results and the better looking girlfriend. This is not what they signed up to!

The reality of the situation is surely that Woolwich has reached its nadir - the way football is now they (and us) are virtually guaranteed top 6, european football, brand exposure and all that comes with it for the foreseeable future - unless of course a mid-tabler (Everton perhaps) suddenly gets rich/good and joins the party.

Lets enjoy this situation for what it is!

All supporters are guilty of having a very insular view about what constitutes a disaster for their team and we're no different. In recent years the period under AVB/Sherwood felt like the end of the world yet we finished 6th that season and qualified comfortably for the Europa League. Prior to that 2 points from 8 games in 2008 felt horrendous, being in a relegation battle under Pleat in 2004 and then most of the 90s were embracing moments to be a football fan. However, you only have to look at some of our traditional advseraries like Villa, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Leeds who have suffered (in the latter's case a prolonged) relegation. Heck even City had to deal with 3rd division football for a season. Take a further step back and you consider the likes of Coventry City who have lost their identity, Leyton Orient - their football league status and Wimbledon (back in the day) who have lost their club all together.

Then you look at Woolwich fans - in the interests of balance lets recognise that most of them who were supporting Woolwich prior to 1988 knew some fairly mediocre times during the 70s and 80s when it was common for them to finish beneath us. I generally apply the rule that if they can remember Perry Groves and Gus Caeser they're not too bad.

Yet, there are the many who latched on to the Ian Wright and Henry/Bergkamp teams under Wenger and signed up purely for the glory believing that they have a personal entitlement to success - in many cases most of them see supporting Arsenal as a symbol of social superiority particulalrly over SPurs fans. We all know there;s a truth in the statement that 'you don't choose your team, your team chooses you' - and for so many of the 00s Gooners this is exactly the case. As the years have progressed their arguments have gradually eroded away. This is not what they signed up and they can't deal with it -it's like the kid at school from the wealthy family who has all the private tutoring, gets dropped off in the 4x4, goes on the most expensive holidays only for daddy's company to go tits up and the kid he bullied for years suddenly gets the better exam results and the better looking girlfriend. This is not what they signed up to!

The reality of the situation is surely that Woolwich has reached its nadir - the way football is now they (and us) are virtually guaranteed top 6, european football, brand exposure and all that comes with it for the foreseeable future - unless of course a mid-tabler (Everton perhaps) suddenly gets rich/good and joins the party.

Lets enjoy this situation for what it is!

I think it's also older fans who are phucked off that they ever left Highbury. They were sold on it as the club going to the next level, but what happened is that a team that fought for the title at Highbury moved to the new stadium and got worse over time, further from winning the league now than any time in the past 20 years. I think those older fans think, not unreasonably, that they could have just stayed at Highbury and at least had that going for them.

It's character building for them. We will end up with a lot of the same sort of knob-heads jumping on the band-wagon as well if we end up with any sort of long-term success.

It's character building for them. We will end up with a lot of the same sort of knob-heads jumping on the band-wagon as well if we end up with any sort of long-term success.

We've got more than enough already judging by all the Levy bashing over the years. It's instant success or GTFO.

listening to Claude on the ScumTV show and their fans booing etc. They are just are so entitled these days. There are now 6 legit teams in the race for the top 4 positions. Even in their worst year ( last year ) they finished 5th and won the FA Cup. We all know they have good players, it could turn for them at any time really.

But them just moaning on and on like they have a divine right to be in the top 4 is just sad. They have had it too good really and need to take a step and realize its a fight every season from now on. Maybe they should stop selling players to Many United and Emirates Marketing Project and try not to strengthen rivals.

I have to admit it feels like a role reversal. They are now in Puma, we are Nike etc and they are out of the top 4 for what could be their second season in a row ( never happened to them before ) its a learning process for their fans. Money on players does not guarantee a top position. We used to thrown money at buying players and it did not give us success.

Looking at them from outside. I think if they had a Director of football that bought them 2 cb's and one defensive mid and they would be a scary team again.

Bit too early for the mind the gap jokes for me, but enjoyed that none the less!

To be fair, the emergence of social media have made our fans seem more fickle and entitled as well. As soon as we play a poor match or get a semi-bad result, the hoardes on Twitter grab their pitchforks and start spewing out brick.

Must be a Generation thing.

if you went through the nineties as a Spurs fan, almost getting relegated and mostly being mid table then I dont get too uspet with the current team. As far as I am concerned this is liquid football and the best I have ever seen my team play apart from the late 80's when I was only a nipper.

So must be the johnny come lately's that have this attitude.

Must be a Generation thing.

if you went through the nineties as a Spurs fan, almost getting relegated and mostly being mid table then I dont get too uspet with the current team. As far as I am concerned this is liquid football and the best I have ever seen my team play apart from the late 80's when I was only a nipper.

So must be the johnny come lately's that have this attitude.

Yeah, you would think so. I know a fair few old timers that just love to have a moan as well though, but then again, they're the people that would just fear us losing all our players and manager if we ever won the league. :p

I listened to that and it was pathetic. I mean. We all love football. But crying on the radio because you are 6th and still got a chance of the Europa league. I mean! get a grip. Wrighty was like head in hands like he was going to well up as well.

maybe he should try supporting a team like Leyton Orient who are scraping to stay in the Conference. Or Portsmouth who dropped 4 divisions after winning the cup. Or even Everton who had been mid table and just above relegation for years now with their history and success from he 80's.

Get a life mate.

Wrighty was like head in hands like he was going to well up as well.
Hopefully he was hiding his laughter.
The chap is unwell. BBC 606 shouldn't really be exploiting him. Someone calls a public service broadcaster in tears about Arsenal, you refer them to community care rather than putting them on air and then tweeting it for grins.
In their defence, everyone who phones into 606 is mentally unwell, they'd have to cancel the show.

The chap is unwell. BBC 606 shouldn't really be exploiting him. Someone calls a public service broadcaster in tears about Arsenal, you refer them to community care rather than putting them on air and then tweeting it for grins.

Well, next time, maybe. Bit hard to protect them from themselves. Look at all the 'unwell' clowns on Alsoran TV.

Who actually gets to make the decision?

Call screener? Or a ratings-starved producer?

Back