• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

Well why would we? we are operating on a much smaller budget - Ar5ena1 are closer to all of those teams financially than we are to them and despite that we've finished above Chel53a, City and United in that period, contrary to your claim.

United 13/14 - Moyes season?
Chel53a 11/12 - AVB

We finished above them both in those years also...

City in 08-10? Not sure they were in the swing of the Mansour ownership at this point and am pretty sure we also finished above them during this time

Over acheiving :D

yeah and thats why i say levy is a genius too. we still havent managed to finish above arsenal though (which was my claim).

Emirates Marketing Project started spending pretty much instantly as soon as mansour arrived

and yeah, you might not realise it, but we really are overacheiving too

yeah and thats why i say levy is a genius too. we still havent managed to finish above Ar5ena1 though.

Emirates Marketing Project started spending pretty much instantly as soon as mansour arrived

and yeah, you might not realise it, but we really are overacheiving too

City started spending but didn't put together a genuine side to trouble the top four until a couple of seasons late (11/12 iirc) the fact your using finishing above them in this period as an example of Arsenal over achieving just shows how skewed your view on reality is

Arsenal work on a budget much more in tune with the top 3 than any of the chasing pack below them ,the brief period in time when that wasn't the case and they only had an average spend on wages and transfers of 50m per season more than us they were scraping by a point or two above in the league - i think it's quite clear that the rest have caught them up off the field and the only thing keeping them out in front is the money, level that financial playing field and they'd really struggle IMHO

Last edited:
City started spending but didn't put together a genuine side to trouble the top four until a couple of seasons late (11/12 iirc) the fact your using finishing above them in this period as an example of Ar5ena1 over achieving just shows how skewed your view on reality is

Exactly! They started spending when they still had a lot of dross and cloggers in their team. It was only the season after we pipped them to CL that they started to bring in the really classy players to take them to the next level such as Toure and Silva. Hilarious that they in this period are being used to show 'consistency' by Wenger. Hilarious!

they wouldnt have henry or vieira.

look how much the "new henry" has been sold for. and hes far less well known than henry was at the time

Henry was an unwanted winger at Juventus when Arsenal signed him. If Martial had gone to Italy and flopped then I'm sure that Arsenal would be able to sign him now.

Henry was an unwanted winger at Juventus when Ar5ena1 signed him. If Martial had gone to Italy and flopped then I'm sure that Ar5ena1 would be able to sign him now.

henry was a worldcup winner (scoring i think 3 goals in that wc). who moved to juventus one of the biggest teams in the world at the time. and although he wasnt lighting things up, was a regular starter for juventus. and aged only 22/23 iirc.

he was hardly unwated. thats just a myth that ppl like to say because they either dont know, or they are trying to hollywoodise henry's story. make no mistake, he was a well known wonderkid at the time. the profile of player arsenal dont really want to compete for financially today.

dont forget, juventus sold henry for more than they paid for him. and he was a record signing for arsenal at the time. this was hardly a 500k anelka type of deal

he has more similarities to ozil and alexis than he does to martial. theres a big chance arsenal simply would not be in the market for a player like this in the current footballing landscape. no doubt he would be being sold for top dollar in todays market

They were saying on Football Weekly earlier in the month that the board had to force through the move for Ozil because Wenger kept dithering and got cold feet over the fee.

seems he was right, he's not been a disaster but he's not justified the fee either imo

it'll be interesting to see what happens when Wenger steps aside

I think they will have a similar drop off to United after Fergie

yes they spend big and pay a lot of wages but he does continue to get top class performances out of players who probably aren't

it'll be interesting to see what happens when Wenger steps aside

I think they will have a similar drop off to United after Fergie

yes they spend big and pay a lot of wages but he does continue to get top class performances out of players who probably aren't

Was it Keane who talked about them being obsessed with selfies? It was spot on. There's no winning mentality or leadership in thay squad. They will need a complete clearout of all the serial bottlers.

henry was a worldcup winner (scoring i think 3 goals in that wc). who moved to juventus one of the biggest teams in the world at the time. and although he wasnt lighting things up, was a regular starter for juventus. and aged only 22/23 iirc.

he was hardly unwated. thats just a myth that ppl like to say because they either dont know, or they are trying to hollywoodise henry's story. make no mistake, he was a well known wonderkid at the time. the profile of player Ar5ena1 dont really want to compete for financially today.

dont forget, juventus sold henry for more than they paid for him. and he was a record signing for Ar5ena1 at the time. this was hardly a 500k anelka type of deal

he has more similarities to ozil and alexis than he does to martial. theres a big chance Ar5ena1 simply would not be in the market for a player like this in the current footballing landscape. no doubt he would be being sold for top dollar in todays market

You seem to be contradicting yourself in these two lines.

And Henry's stock was low when he joined Arsenal and he certainly was not even close to the player he developed into there.

I just find it all a bit contradictiry 'Wenger can't be expected to do any better than he is because of the finances of the teams above, but i will laud him as a genius for finishing above teams that they have far greater financial clout than'

Doesn't stack up

Was it Keane who talked about them being obsessed with selfies? It was spot on. There's no winning mentality or leadership in thay squad. They will need a complete clearout of all the serial bottlers.

barcelona seem to have a contingent who love a selfie. isnt neymar the selfie king?

roy keane showed how out of touch with reality he was with those comments. selfies have nothing to do with football ability.

arsenal come 4th because they are the 4th best team in the league. not because they love selfies. nor because they lack "leadership" or a "winning mentality" either

I just find it all a bit contradictiry 'Wenger can't be expected to do any better than he is because of the finances of the teams above, but i will laud him as a genius for finishing above teams that they have far greater financial clout than'

Doesn't stack up

ive replied to this a number of times already in this thread over the past few days

You seem to be contradicting yourself in these two lines.

And Henry's stock was low when he joined Ar5ena1 and he certainly was not even close to the player he developed into there.

alexis and ozil are the exceptions. they were lucky that the likes of manutd and city etc etc felt their squads were full at the time of purchase. usually players with these credentials end up at one of the bigger spending clubs.

ive replied to this a number of times already in this thread over the past few days

And you've had every point you've made tonight argued against many times over the entirety of this thread - i haven't seen any valid reasoning as to why you can use finances to excuse Wenger from doing better than he is whilst at the same time praising him for finishing above teams he massively outspends, it's a complete and utter contradiction

alexis and ozil are the exceptions. they were lucky that the likes of manutd and city etc etc felt their squads were full at the time of purchase. usually players with these credentials end up at one of the bigger spending clubs.

I think that Ozil is too inconsistent to be of interest to the bigger clubs but that is how Henry was viewed at the time. I think that it is a good comparison but Henry improved after joining Arsenal whereas Ozil has never really fulfilled the promise that he showed early in his career.

Neymar I'd like to see you comment in some Spurs threads rather than this one some time :)
i do. but i like to restrain from stuff like omts because i often realise i chat crap because im too emotional at the time of posting

barcelona seem to have a contingent who love a selfie. isnt neymar the selfie king?

roy keane showed how out of touch with reality he was with those comments. selfies have nothing to do with football ability.

Ar5ena1 come 4th because they are the 4th best team in the league. not because they love selfies. nor because they lack "leadership" or a "winning mentality" either

They are the 4th richest team, but that doesn't naturally translate into the 4th best team. The constant upheaval at other teams means they should have done a lot better with the squads they've had, even with Wenger's inability to address obvious weaknesses. Ferguson won the league with far worse.

Back