• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Guardian sport @guardian_sport

Mesut Ozil becomes latest Real Madrid player to rule out Arsenal move

@gunnerblog 1h

Mourinho talking to Eto'o.
AVB talking to Lamela & Eriksen.
Wenger talking to himself, rocking back & forwards, muttering about top quality.

A5032_zpsf9d5ea6f.jpg

Going to be an interesting contrast in styles on Sunday.

Arsenal play tika-taka possession based football, we play fast, direct, counter-attacking football.

Arsenal have small, nippy players. We have big, powerful brutes.

Arsenal have an established, settled side. We should have at least four new signings in the starting lineup.

Could go either way. We could muscle them off the ball at every opportunity, push them back into their own half, then hit them with our pace on the counter when they try and come forward. Or they could pass the ball through us, exploit our high line or our inability to defend corners and we struggle to break them down.

It's a huge game for us. I know 6 points at this stage means nothing when we've ****ed up 10 points in February and 7 points in March in the last two seasons, but given that we've missed out on CL football by 1 point in the last two seasons, every point counts, especially in these "six pointer" games. I think we can win the game with a bit of luck, especially considering their injury problems at the moment, but I'd still take a point.

It's a huge game for us...I think we can win the game with a bit of luck, especially considering their injury problems at the moment, but I'd still take a point.

Good post...and actually I think it's a huge game for both teams above and beyond the normal derby bragging rights.

For us, a loss would blow our 100% start and would be a real downer after an exciting week of transfer news. Losing would suck all the air out of that high.

For them, being at home, if they are losing the fans could again turn on Wenger and the team, which would be ugly. I see a few people on arsemania really worried about this scenario. And their recovery after the opening day would be set back again.

Honestly, I think both Wenger and AVB would take a point now if you offered it to them.

Going to be an interesting contrast in styles on Sunday.

Arsenal play tika-taka possession based football, we play fast, direct, counter-attacking football.

Arsenal have small, nippy players. We have big, powerful brutes.

Arsenal have an established, settled side. We should have at least four new signings in the starting lineup.

Could go either way. We could muscle them off the ball at every opportunity, push them back into their own half, then hit them with our pace on the counter when they try and come forward. Or they could pass the ball through us, exploit our high line or our inability to defend corners and we struggle to break them down.

It's a huge game for us. I know 6 points at this stage means nothing when we've ****ed up 10 points in February and 7 points in March in the last two seasons, but given that we've missed out on CL football by 1 point in the last two seasons, every point counts, especially in these "six pointer" games. I think we can win the game with a bit of luck, especially considering their injury problems at the moment, but I'd still take a point.

Do we? :-k

Seems Walcott is the appointed AFC mouthpiece these days, coming on commenting Forrest son, let us do our talking on the pitch

Theo Walcott is adamant that Arsenal have not been overtaken by Tottenham Hotspur in the battle for north London supremacy.

While the Gunners have yet to open their chequebook during the summer transfer window, Spurs have embarked on an elaborate spending spree.

It would appear as though the sale of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid will end up financing those moves, and the Welshman's departure will represent a significant blow.

Andre Villas-Boas is, however, looking to piece together a squad he hopes will be good enough to force its way into the Premier League's top four.

Arsenal have occupied such a standing throughout Arsene Wenger's reign as manager and, despite the lack of transfer activity at Emirates Stadium, there is a feeling within the squad that they remain one of English football's elite clubs.

Asked if Spurs can now claim to be superior to Arsenal ahead of Sunday's eagerly-anticipated derby date, Walcott said in the Evening Standard: "Not at all. I feel we're very, very strong.

"Everyone makes out our squad is very weak and there are not many of us but I think we showed in the last few games that we bounced back from a bad result in the first match [a 3-1 defeat against Aston Villa] and proved a lot of people wrong.

"Every club are different and they invested their money very well. For us players we just want to do a job on Sunday, we don't care if they have brought in £30m stars.

"They have some very good players and a very good manager but we need to make sure we focus on ourselves. The way we're playing at the moment we believe we can beat anyone.

"It's a massive game and I always enjoy them. The fans make it very special. It's very early in the season considering there is an England game coming up but us players love it and it's a fixture I always look at straight away.

"Tottenham are playing very good stuff at the moment but we are looking very sharp so for the neutral it's going to be a pretty impressive spectacle."

I hope no-one says anything.

We will need to be careful. Players like Cazorla and Wheelchair will look to get people booked early and sent-off. They have previous. I think Capoue has a fantastic temperament and way about him, but he will have to be smart about his work, and I can see Dembele getting booked early on if he's not careful, ditto Rose who will have to focus hard. It's very very important to make that first 30 minutes without a booking IMO...

I think it's going to be about the subs. We should have Defoe, Sandro, Siggy and perhaps even Lamela among ours. In my book, that is enough. I am quietly confident, plus I simply cannot see them handling Paulinho, who looks like he is just going to get better and better (he's already really good!)...

Back