• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Re: Lets not laugh at the other North London club 2013/2014

Are you doubting the depth of quality we've built into this squad so far? Do we really need to play our first team to knock off a bunch of Caspian strivers? Would you not have happily traded the memories of last season's failed EL campaign for another two points in the Premier League?

Thank you. Moving on...

That's not how it works, you cant just trade in competitions for points.

No i'm not doubting the depth of quality, what i am doubting is the amount of game time our first eleven have had together. They need more time to gel and in the long run getting that time now would be a massive plus in our campaign for the top four.

So they get a chance to gel, they get a chance to knock in a number of goals and boost confidence and they finish off the tie. Would you rather we send our second eleven and then have a second leg to concern ourselves with ahead of the Arsenal match? No, i thought not.

Thank you, Moving on...

Are you doubting the depth of quality we've built into this squad so far? Do we really need to play our first team to knock off a bunch of Caspian strivers? Would you not have happily traded the memories of last season's failed EL campaign for another two points in the Premier League?

Thank you. Moving on...

So you preferred the failure in the Europa to the failure in the EPL. Or the other way around?

Thank you. Moving on...

You're offering a swap when there's no guarantee that we would have achieved 2 more points in the league, even if we had treated Europe badly. I loved the Inter game at home and the Lyon fixtures. I loved Dembele's late goal and Bale's free kicks. Heck, even the Basle ties were entertaining and had good footballing moments, even if it failed to end to our liking.

We should never disregard any competition. This club is built on glory, we should try to be as successful as we can. Of course, rotate the squad but never treat a competition with a lack of respect. I was very disappointed crashing out of the FA Cup against Leeds last season. Why should I want us to deliberately get knocked out of cups. No thanks.

Moving on

If we are incapable of doing well in the Europa as well as the EPL we might as well give up the ghost.

Let's pull out of the FA Cup and the League Cup. Cancel all the international games. We can't handle it.

Reading the f365 mailbox it seems the natives are starting to realise what a few of us have been saying for a while.

Jack Wheelchair. Worlds most pointless footballer.

So you preferred the failure in the Europa to the failure in the EPL. Or the other way around?

It's not about preferring failure of any kind. I get the Spurs thing about aiming high. But maybe - just maybe and nothing more - if Dembele doesn't pot that late equalizer against Lyon to see us through, then we've got fresher sets of legs to let us win that debacle at home agains Fulham. A win there and the whole Bale debate evaporates and we're all wearing diapers 'cause we're tinkling ourselves laughing at Arsenal.

I'd happily sacrifice the Europa League this season to see us focus our best energies and talents on a top-four finish. If we hold onto Bale, then we will have a massively stronger hand to play next summer, whether he stays or goes. And if we can lend a boot to Arsenal's step into decline, even better. A perfect start before the transfer window closes might - just might - make it easier to hold onto Bale for now.

This thread is living up to its name as there is no laughing at Arsenal in it.

Back on topic..
BQBJkKnCAAAvcUy.jpg

It's not about preferring failure of any kind. I get the Spurs thing about aiming high. But maybe - just maybe and nothing more - if Dembele doesn't pot that late equalizer against Lyon to see us through, then we've got fresher sets of legs to let us win that debacle at home agains Fulham. A win there and the whole Bale debate evaporates and we're all wearing diapers 'cause we're tinkling ourselves laughing at Arsenal.

I'd happily sacrifice the Europa League this season to see us focus our best energies and talents on a top-four finish. If we hold onto Bale, then we will have a massively stronger hand to play next summer, whether he stays or goes. And if we can lend a boot to Arsenal's step into decline, even better. A perfect start before the transfer window closes might - just might - make it easier to hold onto Bale for now.

Trouble here is, we do all that just to secure "top 4" (or 4th, in our case) and we are no better than Arse who we mock each year for celebrating making CL over us.
We are here to win trophies.

Finishing 4th is not a trophy.

Trouble here is, we do all that just to secure "top 4" (or 4th, in our case) and we are no better than Arse who we mock each year for celebrating making CL over us.
We are here to win trophies.

Finishing 4th is not a trophy.

There is a certain relativity to finishing top four. Granted, do an Arse routine and win nothing with 15 straight years of qualifying and just finishing top four begins to look lame. Should Spurs finish top four this year, there's an entirely different sense of achievement from it.

For us, it enhances our ability to retain or attract quality players. It also serves to bolster our stadium project and all the related commercial aspects to getting it going.

And when we use the term 'top four' it refers to one of the top four placings, not just fourth. I believe we can achieve a higher finish than fourth, but we must marshal our resources wisely. If saving energy in one competition helps us achieve a top-four finish, especially at the long-term expense of our arch rival, then we must do that this season. Last season had it's priorities. This season has others. Next year's will be different again. Maybe we'll have the opportunity to make a stronger statement in the domestic cup competitions. They have to be taken as they come and treated accordingly.

Last edited:

Why does it have to be one or the other? Given, the Europa League is a bit of a stretch (my views on that competition remain firmly in the 'ambivalent' category), but it only takes six games to win the FA Cup, the same number of games as the EL group stage alone. It takes the same number of games to win the League Cup, which, while certainly a diminished competition compared to the EL and the FA Cup, is still a trophy that is there to be won.

It can be done.

Why does it have to be one or the other? Given, the Europa League is a bit of a stretch (my views on that competition remain firmly in the 'ambivalent' category), but it only takes six games to win the FA Cup, the same number of games as the EL group stage alone. It takes the same number of games to win the League Cup, which, while certainly a diminished competition compared to the EL and the FA Cup, is still a trophy that is there to be won.

It can be done.

exactly...im sure this was the thinking for manu in 99........

I want us to compete for everything....and that means rotation, keeping players fresh and blooding the likes of Carrol in the EL & cups... we will never win anything on the basis of a perceived first 11 anyway. A True sportsman wants to win trophies....not finish 3-4..... your not gonna say to the grandkids 'yeah we gave up on the fa cup in 2014 little Sammy but look where we finished in the league......4th'

We have to have the mentality that we can challenge city,utd,arse,chels for league positions and win euro & domestic trophies.... I think AVB has and the more he fills out the squad his way the better the rotation will be and our fixtures managed.

So what's the likelihood of Fenerbache getting hoofed out of the CL on those corruption charges. UEFA's banned them two years and they're appealing to Court for Arbitration in Sport. Arsenal might be quite beatable in this round yet they have this potential safety net should they lose. I think it's unlikely Fenerbache would be allowed to remain, especially if they knock off a high-profile side like Arsenal.

It can be done.

now pile all those games together, all those potential games for potential trophies........and then congest a sub set of them when the league is showing fatigue/ injuries.....it then becomes a problem

if you were looking at each competition individually then sure its not that hard to get it done

but all those competitions you are trying to win.........you may have to risk sacrificing one or two

now pile all those games together, all those potential games for potential trophies........and then congest a sub set of them when the league is showing fatigue/ injuries.....it then becomes a problem

if you were looking at each competition individually then sure its not that hard to get it done

but all those competitions you are trying to win.........you may have to risk sacrificing one or two

It just looks as if Arsenal have decided that the UCL is the one to sacrifice early this year... :)

[video=youtube;7gSFEaI4HdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSFEaI4HdA[/video]

Seems to be the feeling among the Gooners at the moment....

I still reckon they will strenghen before the window closes, but have they left it too late to bring in REAL quality?

[video=youtube;7gSFEaI4HdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSFEaI4HdA[/video]

Seems to be the feeling among the Gooners at the moment....

I still reckon they will strenghen before the window closes, but have they left it too late to bring in REAL quality?

Agree and the later you leave I the less selection there is and the more the selling club will charge... It's a false economy.

I think there problem is attracting the calibre of players in on salaries they want to pay for a club that doesn't appear to be going upwards. You need to sign someone to show intent and you need to show off your Crown Jewels to attract people to the project. They have a stadium but lack the name players now Dein used to do the buying well for them but I have no idea who does it for them now, but whoever it is is failing

I think part of the problem for them is that, in Dein, they used to have someone who was always involved in all the politics of football, and more often than not, used to get his way. Gazidis probably hasn't got anywhere near the same clout.

Announcing to everyone that you are flush at the start of the transfer window wasn't the cleverest thing to do either.

Arsenal should bid big for Begovic. They probably need cover at CB, maybe someone like Williams from Swansea, and full back cover too after the carnage on Saturday. Coentrao would be perfect as I've seen him play as DM on occasion too and was not too bad at it actually. But they'll probably end up buying 3 attacking midfielders or the latest hot prospect from the French under 11 team.

thats the thing, Wenger says who is there to buy but he could go to any club in the championship, buy their keeper and its a guaranteed upgrade on the clown they have now

Back