• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

well unless Dier and Dembele form really drops I cant see Wanyama replacing them and cant see Jansen starting over Kane unless his form drops, not trying to be negative, just think with the champs league and not being able to rest players as much on the wed and then needing them again on the sat will be lots of game time for the strongest 11 which I dont feel has changed from the first 11 that finished last season

I think you will see something like what you saw with Walker/Rose & Trippier/Davies for Waynama & Jansen, additionally both of them will allow Kane/Dier/Dembele to get taken off 10-20 minutes from end in games we are comfortable in.

I don't see us rotating heavily in PL & CL, but do think the FA/CC cups will see a 2nd team.

Only teams that can afford to pay people 120K+ to sit on the bench can rotate as heavily as you are thinking.

Dembele misses games at start of season, then it's up to him to get back in the side. I'd like to see cover for Erikson, I don't think we have anyone as effective as him in that role at the moment.

do you not think we need an improvement on Lamela?

No I dont think we do. We needed an improvement on Mason - we got Wanyama. Perhaps we might look at improving on Chadli - however we have Pritchard who might have a break out season. Development requires patience. Lets see how it goes.

so do you think then that with the first 11 we have we are (as a club) at a level where we cant improve on players such as Lamela, Eriksen etc

so do you think then that with the first 11 we have we are (as a club) at a level where we cant improve on players such as Lamela, Eriksen etc

Within our resources and wage structure? I'd be interested in your suggestions on who would be tempted to come to us who would be a significant upgrade on either.

I'm happy with both to be honest. think they will continue to improve next season.

Im not sure who to go for, thats why I was interested to see what you guys think? are we at the level, with like you say our wage structure, that what we have is the best we can get (even with champs football now) or are we able to push that little bit higher for a top player that would improve the first team

Within our resources and wage structure? I'd be interested in your suggestions on who would be tempted to come to us who would be a significant upgrade on either.

I'm happy with both to be honest. think they will continue to improve next season.
When considering this I always think at what sort of price we would be prepared to sell the two players for? IMO considering their talent, age and performances we would be wanting upwards of £40 million for Eriksen and perhaps not far off of that for Lamela. Therefore one would assume it would cost us at least that amount to purchase a player who would be a definite improvement on either of them. Are we going to pay a £40 million+ transfer fee? Would we pay the wages of a £40 million player (upwards of £150k a week). I think we all know the answer to that one.

Im not sure who to go for, thats why I was interested to see what you guys think? are we at the level, with like you say our wage structure, that what we have is the best we can get (even with champs football now) or are we able to push that little bit higher for a top player that would improve the first team

I'm no expert on world football but having watched CL last year and the Euros etc I can't think of any top player that would come that is either affordable or is likely to work in the high-pressing game that Poch uses. The next 'level' up on these two are star names that I'm not sure would fit the ethic or atmosphere of the current camp or have that ego thing going on already. Mata for example - not sure he would function within this system.

Think we would only upgrade if we identify that 22+- year old on the cusp and get in there before the real Big Boys. As Finney says we are unlikely to spend £40m on an established player (at least until post-new stadium) anyway.

I'm no expert on world football but having watched CL last year and the Euros etc I can't think of any top player that would come that is either affordable or is likely to work in the high-pressing game that Poch uses.

Now is definitely a low point for talent in world football

I wonder if this is the culmination of the X-Box generation reaching adulthood and the decline in grassroots participation (my league has shrunk from 50 to 33 teams in the last 3 years, and another big local league has folded completely this summer) across the developed world?

Last edited:
It's unlikely we could get better than eriksen and Lamella, but we could improve their current understudies.

Son and Njie had injury issues all season and were in their settling-in year.

We all know that Poch can add 20-40% extra value to players when he gets them up to speed and working for the system. We have to have faith he will do that with these two, and they'll become next season's Dembele/Lamela/Rose/Walker etc.

Interesting how everyone rates Lamela so highly

He is a good fit to the system. Not perfect but it works well with him.

To me he sums up how England get it wrong. Try and get all the 'best' players on the pitch come he'll or high water rather than having a system and using the players that fit that system best. Lamela has his limitations but his contribution to the current system is perhaps more important than his own individual stats.

So far so good re transfer window; do we have enough pace in attacking areas though?
I guess this is what Batshuayi or even Berahino would have brought to the table if we'd bought them..

Interesting how everyone rates Lamela so highly
Goals, Assists and consistently plays a full part in our high press with his huge work rate. We could probably find somebody who would improve a little on his goals and assists, but it would be VERY difficult to find a player who would do that and also contribute to the 'ugly' side of the game like Lamela does.

It is why I'm sure we won't be going anywhere near signing a player such as Mata as the workrate and pressing is just as important, if not more important than the goals and assists in Pochettino's system.

Nothing but speculation, but I feel we could see Chadli out / Berahino in. Or at least I'd like that.

What's the point of swapping a 3rd choice LWF for a 3rd choice LWF.

I think Son is kind of already Chadli's replacement, just like Njie was Townsend's.

Back