• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

Is that really true? He played exceptionally well in a team where his defending saved them many a time.

Easy to say a player is brick if he wouldn't get into our team but can't knock Ashley he is a very competent defender.

I think it's true
He is hyped up for his stats which are generally recovery stats
He is a reactive rather than proactive defender for me and I think he isn't great.

Last session he was apparently top for blocks and clearances yet is no where on headers and tackles... That to me is a defend reacting to danger not managing it.

When you see Toby he rarely blocks or clears... He just cleans up as he reads the game

I think it's true
He is hyped up for his stats which are generally recovery stats
He is a reactive rather than proactive defender for me and I think he isn't great.

Last session he was apparently top for blocks and clearances yet is no where on headers and tackles... That to me is a defend reacting to danger not managing it.

When you see Toby he rarely blocks or clears... He just cleans up as he reads the game
You don't have to be brick to not be as good as Toby though, he's just very, very good.

Compared to the Stones of last season I'd say he's an upgrade. Pretty good but no world beater.

You don't have to be brick to not be as good as Toby though, he's just very, very good.

Compared to the Stones of last season I'd say he's an upgrade. Pretty good but no world beater.

Yeah I'd agree on that

Stone so far has shown a very poor understanding of defending and is hyped up because he can pass a ball

Yeah I'd agree on that

Stone so far has shown a very poor understanding of defending and is hyped up because he can pass a ball
If Stones is worth 50mil what is Alderweireld worth?

Toby had a very messy end to the season to be honest, but up to that point he had been imperious. Toby has what all truly great defenders have and that is the ability to read the game. No need to be best tackler or header if you can tell the future. I don't see that with Stones yet but I guess time is on his side.

Last edited:
the price paid for a play has more to do with what the playing club can afford, than a sign of the player's performance potential if you asked me.

the price paid for a play has more to do with what the playing club can afford, than a sign of the player's performance potential if you asked me.

I honestly think Stones & Pogba are examples of when clubs make an inquiry (both were looked at last summer), the club holding the player put out a stupid ass price and instead of the interested club walking away, they stuck around.

This has created some kind of weird cycle were in absence of being able to actually buy a top tier world class player, clubs that need to appease their fans are buying a world class price tag. Its almost like the sport equivalent of someone being famous for being famous.

Williams is a decent enough CB but I'm not sure why his reputation seems to have gone through the roof all of a sudden

Worth having him in the camp for 12M just for his leadership and presence.
Unless our players have all grown an extra cobbler, I'm still concerned about our ability to manage and close games out, or rally the troops when things start to go wrong.

Hope I'm being unnecessarily nervous.

If you are nervous this summer, you must have been frightened to death last year at the same time.

If Stones is worth 50mil what is Alderweireld worth?

Toby had a very messy end to the season to be honest, but up to that point he had been imperious. Toby has what all truly great defenders have and that is the ability to read the game. No need to be best tackler or header if you can tell the future. I don't see that with Stones yet but I guess time is on his side.

Well Toby is better defensively, IMO can pass as well of not better, has shown leadership qualities, is a regular international for a top side and has played champions league... But has turned 27

Honestly in the current market he would be worth £30 to £40m

But in comparison to Stones.... £80m

That's what's crazy about paying a huge huge premium for potential

I've never rated him, I agree with Bedford he reacts to situations rather than managing, and he over plays the passing at the back. His greatest strength is his self belief which is important in a centreback. He spent his career playing for teams with little expectation other than survival it will be interesting to see how he copes at a big club. I know many of the children on here will laugh at that but they are.

I've never rated him, I agree with Bedford he reacts to situations rather than managing, and he over plays the passing at the back. His greatest strength is his self belief which is important in a centreback. He spent his career playing for teams with little expectation other than survival it will be interesting to see how he copes at a big club. I know many of the children on here will laugh at that but they are.

I think a lot of people just seem to assume he'll be the next Rio Ferdinand, because Ferdinand was just as crap at defending at the start of his career too

I think a lot of people just seem to assume he'll be the next Rio Ferdinand, because Ferdinand was just as crap at defending at the start of his career too

The comparisons are fair though as Ferdinand got much better with age

And yeah we were taking about Williams

The comparisons are fair though as Ferdinand got much better with age

And yeah we were taking about Williams

Sorry - I think I quoted a different post to I meant to

Ferdinand got taught to defend by a decent old school centre back (O'Leary). I'm not sure Guardiola is exactly the person to do that with Stones.

Adnan Januzaj closes in on Sunderland loan after being left 'humiliated' by Jose Mourinho.

Chelsea allow Bertrand Traore to join Ajax on loan.

Martín Demichelis signs for Espanyol on one-year contract.

Arsenal to complete the signing of defender Shkodran Mustafi as agent confirms agreement over £30m deal.

West Ham confirm loan signing of Jonathan Calleri from Deportivo Maldonado.

Swansea City complete club record £15.5m deal for Atlético striker Borja Bastón.

Former England defender Jonathan Woodgate joins Liverpool as a scout.

Adnan Januzaj closes in on Sunderland loan after being left 'humiliated' by Jose Mourinho.

Chelsea allow Bertrand Traore to join Ajax on loan.

Arsenal to complete the signing of defender Shkodran Mustafi as agent confirms agreement over £30m deal.

If they give it a go, I'm sure they can reach 100 players out on loan. It's ridiculous! fudging clams!
Arsenal going the Emirates Marketing Project way of paying stupid fees for defenders that can't defend.

Back