• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Club Formerly Known As Steaua Bucuresti

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
Steaua Bucharest were simply referred to as 'hosts' during Sunday's Romanian league clash against CSMS Iasi after losing a legal battle over their trademark.

Deprived of their name, colours and badge on a surreal night of football, the Romanian champions scored in the fifth minute of injury time to beat their opponents 1-0.

Romania's most famous club, who were founded in 1947 as an army side, had their registration cancelled by the country's highest court on Wednesday after losing a battle with the ministry of defence.

The ministry had first resorted to law in 2011, saying the club had used the Steaua brand illegally since 2004.

The court verdict effectively left the most popular and successful club in Romanian football as a team without a name and no identity.

The 1986 European champions, playing in yellow instead of their famous red and blue shirts, were presented on Sunday by the stadium's announcer as 'the champions of Romania'.

They appeared as 'hosts' on the scoreboard and the club's emblem was replaced by an empty square. Steaua was never mentioned.

The name effectively became invisible, removed from all training kits and officials' suits. The teams' two names were missing from the teamsheet, which were presented to reporters before the clash.

The club have since reached agreement with the country's defence ministry to be allowed to use the club's name, colours and badge in their Europa League match against Dynamo Kiev on Thursday.

Steaua said in a statement that the agreement followed a meeting between Steaua president Valeriu Argaseala and ministry representatives on Monday.

The club's flamboyant owner Gigi Becali and general manager Mihai Stoica are currently serving prison terms for abuse of power.

On the field, Poland centre back Lukasz Szukala scored the winning goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time with both teams reduced to 10 men after CSMS Iasi's Branko Grahovac and Steaua's Andrei Prepelita were sent off in the closing stages.

Steaua, who have won their last five league matches without conceding a goal, top the standings with 43 points from 17 matches, followed by CFR Cluj on 33.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2865366/Steaua-Bucharest-referred-hosts-stripped-colours-badge-legal-battle-ministry-defence.html

B4XKX0BIYAAqojJ.jpg

B4XCfS5IEAA0X3L.jpg

B4Sh8i-CEAA46q6.png

B4XRxtJCIAA2LEW.jpg

The lone away fan received a round of applause upon his arrival in the 18th minute.

Were they playing Wigan?? :lol:

IIRC didnt they once bring 64 fans to the Lane for an away game, or now I think about it, was that Bolton?

I think that was Bolton - tbf that season we played them in the league and both cups iirc at WHL

Were they playing Wigan?? :lol:

IIRC didnt they once bring 64 fans to the Lane for an away game, or now I think about it, was that Bolton?

No, you are spot on. I was at the game and we were in the lower half of what would usually be the away end. Dreadful game which we lost 1-0, think it was Rodallega who scored. Even though we were right below the away fans you couldn't hear anything when they scored. Was a strange atmosphere really as it was almost like having a 100% home attendance.

Back