• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Centre Back thread

So it was €55m for this whole time now some reporting it's €60-65.

I expected this to get done at €45+10 but if there's any truth to this then it's over, move on.

looks to me like Atalanta are shifting the goalposts to see what they can squeeze out of this. As you say, time to move on if that is the case.

looks to me like Atalanta are shifting the goalposts to see what they can squeeze out of this. As you say, time to move on if that is the case.

Without knowing our financial position and targets, its difficult to say move on I think, however if we look at what Ruben Diaz cost I dont think their asking price is unreasonable

Question is therefore whether we can afford that price. Obviously if we cant afford that, then we should expect to get an inferior player in his place

The helpful thing is that none of Man C, Man U, Cheatski (post Kounde) or Liverpool are in the market for another CB, Real and Barca have no money....so it feels like we should have ability to be more competitive for a CB this summer

£13m I believe
His one impressive season as you describe it was better than VVD one good season at Southampton for comparison. His team made CL. He won an international tournament and was voted the best in his position in the league

He does sound worth it. I guess Juve missed a trick. He's not the tallest, but he seems like a good solid CB. Fingers crossed we get him.

Selling Toby without a replacement CB lined up would be a black mark against the new transfer setup

Selling Toby without a replacement CB lined up would be a black mark against the new transfer setup

I guess sometimes you have to sell when you get the opportunity to sell. If supposedly we are negotiating up to 10 deals at a time then I anticipate we are holding off as long as possible to try and get Romero.

I would expect a new signing at cb before city, but probably won’t be oven ready.

It is, but its also a good sign that we passed on him as it shows we are confident about landing better.

2.5 weeks til the City game....could really do with getting Romero signed soon!! That said, I guess he'll still only have a week or so training after the Copa America though...
Doesn't matter when he arrives. You don't need to train much to tackle City players into oblivion.

There will always be Levy to blame. ;)

I know let's not blame him for anything. Levy is misunderstood and his strategy in the transfer market has been nothing short of amazing. The trophies and transfer history will back up my claims.

It's the other clubs faults that they back their manager and upset the balance.

I know let's not blame him for anything. Levy is misunderstood and his strategy in the transfer market has been nothing short of amazing. The trophies and transfer history will back up my claims.

It's the other clubs faults that they back their manager and upset the balance.

O you little fibber. :p

Impossible to know if Atalanta are shifting the goalposts or not, if they are they're well within their right to do so.

Seems to me we couldn't get a deal for what we hoped we could. So we took a step back, evaluated other options again, signalling to Atalanta that we won't just pay up whatever, then decide if we should go through with further negotiations - perhaps paying more than we thought we'd have to earlier, or consider other options.

This seems to be pretty standard for how we and others operate in the transfer market. But with every new report and speculation there's the immediate reaction from some as if this speculation represents a factual and final decision.

Paratici apparently said that you should pay more than your evaluation i confident that it's the one right player. Perhaps he's just making sure he's confident, perhaps part of the game of negotiations, perhaps we will step back and go for other targets.

Either really is fine as a decision imo.

I don't think any goalposts are being shifted. Atalanta will have a price (only the two negotiating parties know what that is) and we'll be making various offers that are lower than their number, I expect with offers well under that number where the money is paid over shorter terms and more guaranteed and offers that are close to or even as much as their number where the payment terms are over a longer period and/or made up of various bonuses (some of which may be difficult to achieve).

I think Atalanta have to be slightly careful here as, while I'd be surprised if the loan has a break clause, It is reasonably likely that the player could refuse a permanent move there in the event of Atalanta triggering the option. I'm guessing that Atalanta's wage proposal to Romero was higher than his wage at Juventus but it is unlikely to be nearly as high as our wage offer. If Atalanta do not agree to sell to us (or somebody else) this window, it's not inconceivable that clubs will instead start attempting to do a deal with Juventus to take place next summer instead.

Last edited:
I don't think any goalposts are being shifted. Atalanta will have a price (only the two negotiating parties know what that is) and we'll be making various offers that are lower than their number, I expect with offers well under that number where the money is paid over shorter terms and more guaranteed and offers that are close to or even as much as their number where the payment terms are over a longer period and/or made up of various bonuses (some of which may be difficult to achieve).

I think Atalanta have to be slightly careful here as, while I'd be surprised if the loan has a break clause, It is reasonably likely that the player could refuse a permanent move there in the event of Atalanta triggering the option. I'm guessing that Atalanta's wage proposal to Romero was higher than his wage at Juventus but it is unlikely to be nearly as high as our wage offer. If Atalanta do not agree to sell to us (or somebody else) this window, it's not inconceivable that clubs will instead start attempting to do a deal with Juventus to take place next summer instead.

I thought maybe the reason we’re not replicating the Toby Southampton guzump, is because Juve may not wish to sell.

Not sure what makes you think Atalanta have stuck to their guns regarding their valuation? Most negotiations start with outlier prices and adjust.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I'm really surprised that nobody has tried to sign Nico Elvedi from B. Monchengladbach. Would do really well in the PL I think.

Unfortunately he signed a new deal there a bit earlier this year as he would now be going into the last year of his contract otherwise but he is a top class defender who would probably be gettable for about £30m.

I thought maybe the reason we’re not replicating the Toby Southampton guzump, is because Juve may not wish to sell.

Not sure what makes you think Atalanta have stuck to their guns regarding their valuation? Most negotiations start with outlier prices and adjust.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
I think the problem here is that the loan deal was a two year one without break clauses, so we can't buy him off of Juventus (until Summer 2022 anyway).

What makes me think that Atalanta have stuck to their guns? Normality and history.... We make an offer, Atalanta turn it down, we make another offer, Atalanta turn it down, we ask them what price they want for him, they tell us, we make another offer (well under that), Atalanta turn it down, we increase it a bit, etc, etc.

It would be rare for a club to name their price and then turn down a bid for that amount and state a higher price, especially as player and agent would be aware and become very frustrated at that sort of behaviour with the chance of increasing their income. The only time that really happens is when the asking price bid comes in right at the end of the window when there is no time for the selling club to secure a replacement.

Based on probability we just haven't got to Atalanta's asking price yet and, frustratingly for us, they're not showing any signs that they will compromise and lower it (at least not lower it to whatever amount that we are bidding anyway).

I think the problem here is that the loan deal was a two year one without break clauses, so we can't buy him off of Juventus (until Summer 2022 anyway).

What makes me think that Atalanta have stuck to their guns? Normality and history.... We make an offer, Atalanta turn it down, we make another offer, Atalanta turn it down, we ask them what price they want for him, they tell us, we make another offer (well under that), Atalanta turn it down, we increase it a bit, etc, etc.

It would be rare for a club to name their price and then turn down a bid for that amount and state a higher price, especially as player and agent would be aware and become very frustrated at that sort of behaviour with the chance of increasing their income. The only time that really happens is when the asking price bid comes in right at the end of the window when there is no time for the selling club to secure a replacement.

Based on probability we just haven't got to Atalanta's asking price yet and, frustratingly for us, they're not showing any signs that they will compromise and lower it (at least not lower it to whatever amount that we are bidding anyway).

Or they are just doing their darnedest to maximise their profit on a very valuable asset, even if that means changing their mind about what might be acceptable and annoying the other parties involved; gambling that people won't be so annoyed that they actually walk away. Seems to be how we've conducted some transfers in the past.

Or they are just doing their darnedest to maximise their profit on a very valuable asset, even if that means changing their mind about what might be acceptable and annoying the other parties involved; gambling that people won't be so annoyed that they actually walk away. Seems to be how we've conducted some transfers in the past.
Their position is strengthened or weakened depending on 'other interest'. If we are the only buyer in the room then they have to be careful (of course if they don't want to, or need to sell the player that feeds in as well)
The other intangible is them measuring our desperation.
I think thats why you see alternative options floated on both sides of the deal.

Back