• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - number 10, attacking midfielder, second striker

Who is the best No. 10 or 2nd striker to play for Spurs in the PL

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Barmby should get a mention he was a regular in the side by the time he was 19 and played nearly 100 games. He formed a good understanding with Sheringham and only left because his old lady wanted to move back up north. He was only 21 when he left and it was a pity that his old lady wore the trousers in his house.

And if we can only name a player for one position then Berby should be in the CF spot ( imo)

So the most nominated are:

Sheringham
Berbatov
Van der Vaart
Keane

Who should make the short list?

Eriksen instead of Keane for me. With Keane going in the advanced forward poll

Re Barmby, I do remember him more on LWF than #10, simply because his best time overlapped with Klinsmann

If it's only one poll per player I would put both Berbatov and Keane in the CF poll, although I think putting them in both makes more sense. Neither played a supporting role behind a clear lone striker, both were very much part of a two striker formation with neither having a defined role.

Same here; if a player can only be nominated in one category, then I think Berbatov belongs in the CF poll. If we're relaxing the rule for the forward roles, fair enough.

So does it become a straight battle between Teddy and VdV?

I think we should choose whether we want 2 up front or a lone forward

For me it's the former with VDV to miss out and Sheringham to (rightly) be in a forwards poll

I think we should choose whether we want 2 up front or a lone forward

We debated the formation last time we did this. I think that in this position, we should consider allowing players to go in for both #10 and #9 if they have played both but if a player wins this poll they are out of contention for the more advanced position. What do others think?

We debated the formation last time we did this. I think that in this position, we should consider allowing players to go in for both #10 and #9 if they have played both but if a player wins this poll they are out of contention for the more advanced position. What do others think?

I think we should just lump VDV in with the forwards then - if he gets enough votes then the final formation should reflect that - we don't really have enough AMCs to make it a viable poll (hence shoe-horning in Berbatov and Sheringham) whereas a CF poll will have a wealth of options to vote for and for the most part our best premier league attacks were built on a front 2

I think we should just lump VDV in with the forwards then - if he gets enough votes then the final formation should reflect that - we don't really have enough AMCs to make it a viable poll (hence shoe-horning in Berbatov and Sheringham) whereas a CF poll will have a wealth of options to vote for and for the most part our best premier league attacks were built on a front 2

What do others think? I'm willing to go with the majority?

Seems like a good idea.

This option does include second forwards. If Sheringham and Berbatov are in this poll and one gets enough votes then we have effectively opted for a front two. As long as they are eligible for the CF role as well the voting takes care of the formation.

This option does include second forwards. If Sheringham and Berbatov are in this poll and one gets enough votes then we have effectively opted for a front two. As long as they are eligible for the CF role as well the voting takes care of the formation.

Isn't the plan to lump Berbs, vdV, Sheringham in with Klinsmann, Keane, Kane and whoever else, and vote for 2 - like with CB and CM?

Not sure, but if so it serves the same purpose. Those wanting a 4-2-3-1 style side can pick RvdV, others can pick two forwards.

I suppose one advantage of the two forward picks approach is that people could vote for Defoe and Keane if they wanted to, so it adds more flexibility.

Not sure, but if so it serves the same purpose. Those wanting a 4-2-3-1 style side can pick RvdV, others can pick two forwards.

I suppose one advantage of the two forward picks approach is that people could vote for Defoe and Keane if they wanted to, so it adds more flexibility.

If Keane and Defoe end up as a winning pair, it would be like England selecting Gerrard and Lampard as their alltime best CM partnership. There would be such irony.

So second strikers are included in this poll. If you pick one then, we'll line up 4-4-2. Any player who has lead the line, who is in this poll, but doesn't win can be considered again for the striker position.

Our shortlist so far is:

Sheringham
Berbatov
Van der Vaart
Keane

Have we missed anyone? Is there any more support for Barmby or someone else?

That is perfect by my thinking. I'll vote for Sheringham, while having the option of picking Berbatov or Keane as CF.

ok, one more*

I know he's not generally remembered favourably but on occasions Sergei Rebrov was magnificent, he didn't score many goals but he did score big goals, an equaliser for a point against the goons in a match played in our box for example, eviceration of West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine in the FA Cup

a player we didn't see the best of as we didn't have anyone worthy of being on the same pitch as him

wrong place, wrong time, but his fair share of unforgettable games

*i know no one will vote for him, solely for the sake of discussion

Back