• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

I dont know if Bernard is any good but I am confused of whether we have a brickload of money that we can spend 6m or so on Chadli (is he any good?) and have left overs for creative midfielder and a striker? or we are still focussing on the non priority areas.

Out of curiosity. There are a lot of talk about creative midfielders /players. But, who in our squad du people find to be creative?

Enic are buying Belgians and Brazilians as they're seen as good investments with the World Cup in mind.

I think Damiao could still happen .

Why is there no talk of Kiessling?

Not necessarily to us, since he has CL, but in general?

I know nothing about him, other than he scored a lot of goals last year, his hold up play is meant to be good and he scores a lot of scrappy goals.

I haven't seen much of Chadli, but I thought the general idea was that he would be first choice on the left in a 4-3-3. Very much a priority area.

I think Lennon could still play that role thats why I dont see it as a priority area as much as us bringing in a striker. Because none of us really know what the financial situation is we cant reallyh say whether that £6m will affect the budget for a striker or not. If it does then I wouldnt be too happy personally then again as Billy mentioned all this could be a financially calculated signing with someone like Dempsey going out the door as I dont think he could play that role.

I think Lennon could still play that role thats why I dont see it as a priority area as much as us bringing in a striker. Because none of us really know what the financial situation is we cant reallyh say whether that £6m will affect the budget for a striker or not. If it does then I wouldnt be too happy personally then again as Billy mentioned all this could be a financially calculated signing with someone like Dempsey going out the door as I dont think he could play that role.

Two players per position - we now have Lennon, Bale, Chadli and Townsend for the wide positions in a 4-3-3. Perfect! I cant believe we would have spent £24m on a midfielder and wide man if that meant we couldn't then by the CF which we've been desperate for for since Berbatov left

Lennon, unfortunately, do not fit in as a wide man in a 4-3-3. Lennon, as much as I like him, is a pleyer mostly suited to playing in a 4 man midfield, where he can run at a fullback. He is also a player who needs to be set up in a situation where he can do just that. He also showed many times last season that he is found wanting insted of attacking the far post when crosses comes in. In a 4-4-something formation, Lennon will stil thrive, but setting a wide player up, goal face with ten meters to the fullback is getting more and more difficult.

And Bale could play as a striker, and Adebayor could regain his form...

Even if Lennon could play that role we have no idea if he will be good enough so either way we certainly needed another option there and Chadli seems like a great purchase at that price.

AVB has said that we're not done yet in the transfer marker, it seems obvious that we're in for a new striker.

Out of curiosity. There are a lot of talk about creative midfielders /players. But, who in our squad du people find to be creative?

Primarily the two Toms.

Siggy showed glimses that he had decent vision and a through ball on him that might be honed in time. Apparently Holtby did for Germany/Schalke, but we'll have to judge that once he has settled a bit more.

Falque and Pritchard are supposedly known for it too, but I've only seen cameos of the former and none of the latter.

Wrote a post in the AVB thread and it's a point that has been brought up earlier by others too. A complete striker capable of scoring goals, but also holding up play and being a real threat in the air as well as along the ground would be fantastic.

With Ade still not back and Soldado and Defoe all too similar is there a striker we could get that would tick all the boxes? Preferably someone a bit younger who would be alright fighting for their place in the squad and also being capable of playing alongside Soldado up front.

Benteke will probably get mentioned, I really doubt he's all that gettable. If he really wanted to move to us he wouldn't have signed a new contract this summer. Llorente was linked to England earlier in the season as he was struggling to get into the Juve team, but he's been getting games so I don't think he could be on the list either.

People have been bigging up Jackson Martinez at Porto, but I haven't seen much of him. Could he be the man? Probably gettable if we meet his release clause, but that would mean breaking our transfer record again and to me that makes him very unlikely.

Everyone's (or just my) favourite twitter scout and opinionater Tor Kristian Karlsen tweeted his "5 top forwards from outside the five big European leagues and included: Mitroglou (Olympiakos) and Castaignos (Twente) in addition to Martinez that might fit the bill? Anyone seen any of those in action? (FYI his list also included Luiz Adriano and Batshuayi).

Any brilliant suggestions?

Burak Yilmaz impressed me last season (before Drogba was signed), definitely gettable. Will add more but on phone

Could Kiessling be gettable and a good shout? I know Leverkusen are having a great season so far, but the money there will be smaller than in the PL and it's not like they'll win the league anyway. I'm sure they wouldn't want to sell him and he's not young, but he might be available for something we could afford?

Still Benteke for me.

He claimed to want to move to us this summer despite him being reported to be an Arsenal fan. He then turned around and signed the improved contract offer from Villa. Wasn't there even a report that he said something along the lines that he could never sign for us?

I just don't think he's particularly gettable, I think he's waiting for bigger clubs to come in for him.

He claimed to want to move to us this summer despite him being reported to be an Arsenal fan. He then turned around and signed the improved contract offer from Villa. Wasn't there even a report that he said something along the lines that he could never sign for us?

I just don't think he's particularly gettable, I think he's waiting for bigger clubs to come in for him.

I think he'd jump at the chance to join us, personally. More of a chance in the summer than January though.

Everyone's (or just my) favourite twitter scout and opinionater Tor Kristian Karlsen tweeted his "5 top forwards from outside the five big European leagues and included: Mitroglou (Olympiakos) and Castaignos (Twente) in addition to Martinez that might fit the bill? Anyone seen any of those in action? (FYI his list also included Luiz Adriano and Batshuayi).

Konstantinos Mitroglou is the striker hype at the moment,
scoring more goals than he play games this season and sending Greece to the World Cup with three goals against Chiriches Romania in the play off.
Scored every 67th minute of play in 13/14

Linked to both Liverpool and Arsenal.
"At Arsenal we know him well because we have played against Olympiakos in the Champions League," Wenger told Eurosport.
"He has both physical presence and the ability to finish in the box.”

I saw Luc Castaignos play at age 17 and really wanted us to sign him then, most impressive striker i've seen watching youth football, looked the complete player.
Internazionale were the ones to land him, it was clearly too soon for him and turned out to be a massive set back for him.
I haven't seen him play for Twente, but it seems he's got his career back on track. Wouldn't be surprised if he get a name for himself next summer.

Back