• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Where did you see the word 'lucky'? I'm still of the opinion that 'being in the right place in the right time' isn't a measurable skill. Inzaghi is indeed a top player but that's easier to say because his playing days are practically at an end now and because he managed a high scoring ratio for more than two decades - which would be impossible on pure luck. However, we should also remember that he still got a lot of stick whenever he went through a barren spell, particularly in his AC Milan days.

If 'being in the right place at the right time' was actually a measurable skill, how do you explain that some players suddenly lose it? Ravanelli had a fairly decent record until he turned 30 when it suddenly became quite miserable. I can't help but think that when you sign a guy with no particular skill other than a great scoring record, you're playing Russian roulette: someday the goals will dry and when that happens you're not left with much.

On the other hand, if you sign a guy like Berbatov you know you'll get a lazy git with superb ball skills and that's something you can rely on, regardless of his goalscoring form.

But, again, it's just a matter of opinion and I certainly don't claim mine to be any more valid that yours.

I love you, Mr G. Good to have you back.

would love llorente but think we might go for ba

At 7m (and having proven his fitness) I think Ba is a no brainer. Not necessarily as a first choice striker, but to boost the striker pool I think he is a bargain.

If we got Ade back as the main man, he got injured - who better to bring in?

He plays with one up top doesn't he? The most important thing a lone striker has got to be able to do is hold the ball up and bring others into play.

Not always, depends on style of play and the other players. In our case, I tend to agree, since pre-Modric, we always had a problem with a disconnect between midfield and attack. Usually, this was resolved by a more direct approach to the likes of Mido and Berbatov, with another striker, Keane or Defoe there to feed off them (maybe with one of the more mobile midfielders,like Lennon, supplementing). Modric has essentially resolved this problem to a large extent by enabling us to play with a more advanced line of possession. Think about how deep we used to hold the ball in the days when Carrick or (gulp) Jenas/Zokora were our main ball circulators, compared to now.

Now, though, we are likely to lose Modric, so potentially the old problem rears its head. It all depends on how AVB sets us up, but his general preference to play with a high line that closes the gap between the three sections of the team, along with the players we're being linked with, i.e. Moutinho, someone like Modric who is brave enough and capable to hold possession 10-20 yards higher up, even under aggressive pressing from the opposition, is encouraging. In that sense, we may be able to be highly productive with a relatively finishing-focused striker. It would take a lot of work in the transfer market (I think we'd need to consider changing the wide forward personnel also, since only Bale really has the physique, pace and game to make up for the lack of a more target, hold-up-focused forward) and on the training ground, but since AVB has done it before, I suppose there's no reason he couldn't do it again.

Personally, though, I'm with you, and I'd always favour a more multi-functional main striker. It gives you far more options to change system and style of play during games, and generally makes for an easier setup, particularly in the Premier League. That's why I'd be over the moon if we made Adebayor a permanent signing, as he is one of the best around at covering all bases.

Why not play VDV in the false nine and save the money we were gonna waste on a defunct forward.

The future is a funfair, a carousel in midfield, bumper cars at the back, ghost trains on the wing and big stick of candy floss in goal.

COYS.

if only Rossi wasnt injured....i think we'd have gone in big time for him this summer, and just the clinical finisher we need

because he can no way shape or form play up top by himself?

at Villareal he only started performing when they moved him centrally and partnered him with Nilmar.

but he wont be on his own, thats my point. He will be part of a 4 man attack, and they will all interchange and move around causing all sorts of havoc

thats what you get with Rossi, intelligent movement as well as the goals. He is not the typical goal hanging centre forward that people believe him to be

Nilmar missed quite a few games and Rossi still scored goals and was effective, with the likes of Valero, Cani and Carzola providing the support

There's no point in having wingers like Bale and Lennon then buying a striker shorter than Robbie Keane.

have you ever seen an AVB team play?? did you see his Porto side with the midget Falcao banging them time after time???

Bale and Lennon will not play as out and out wingers under AVB

have you ever seen an AVB team play?? did you see his Porto side with the midget Falcao banging them time after time???

Bale and Lennon will not play as out and out wingers under AVB

Will be interesting to see who we end up going for under AVB. He didn't sign Falcao for Porto I think and Porto didn't play in the Premier League. For Chelsea he signed Lukaku who was supposed to be the next Drogba, looks like he wants to bring in a bit of height and strength with Ade for us. Most of the other strikers we've been linked to have been tall or tallish.

Back