• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

I know this might sound flakey, but I think we need to try to look past the categorical meaning of the word "center forward". Sure, Kane has been playing in this position more than any other player we have over the past two seasons, and is the only player we now have identified as a "center forward", but it's not like he was born with "center forward abilites", and is the only person in our squad capable of doing the job we usually think of a "center forward" doing. Soldado was per definiton a center forward, but did not score a lot of goals for us.

Nacer Chadli, on the other hand, is not identified as a center forward, but has proven time and again that he can indeed score goals for us. Whether he has some of the same "core" abilites that Kane have playing in Kane's position is difficult to say (we can assume that he isn't as accomplished for a number of reasons), but to think that he's completely incapable of doing a job in that position, or that any player recognized as a player playing as a center forward would do a better job than him at it - would be guesswork. Chadli knows the team, and the team's system, better than a new player does. And he does score goals for us. N'Jie hasn't scored any goals for us yet, but he should be more familiar with out system now than a new player would be. Son has scored a few goals now, and should also be more familiar with our system and our players than a new player would be.

I think that we're better off, in the end, in this part of the season, with players that know our team well, and know the system well. Maybe bringing Berahino in would be an instant hit, maybe not (it would be a massive gamble for the amount of money asked for him). He might have come good for us eventually, of course, but he might just as well have had to spend the first few months here adjusting to and learning our team's system.

I know this might sound flakey, but I think we need to try to look past the categorical meaning of the word "center forward". Sure, Kane has been playing in this position more than any other player we have over the past two seasons, and is the only player we now have identified as a "center forward", but it's not like he was born with "center forward abilites", and is the only person in our squad capable of doing the job we usually think of a "center forward" doing. Soldado was per definiton a center forward, but did not score a lot of goals for us.

Nacer Chadli, on the other hand, is not identified as a center forward, but has proven time and again that he can indeed score goals for us. Whether he has some of the same "core" abilites that Kane have playing in Kane's position is difficult to say (we can assume that he isn't as accomplished for a number of reasons), but to think that he's completely incapable of doing a job in that position, or that any player recognized as a player playing as a center forward would do a better job than him at it - would be guesswork. Chadli knows the team, and the team's system, better than a new player does. And he does score goals for us. N'Jie hasn't scored any goals for us yet, but he should be more familiar with out system now than a new player would be. Son has scored a few goals now, and should also be more familiar with our system and our players than a new player would be.

I think that we're better off, in the end, in this part of the season, with players that know our team well, and know the system well. Maybe bringing Berahino in would be an instant hit, maybe not (it would be a massive gamble for the amount of money asked for him). He might have come good for us eventually, of course, but he might just as well have had to spend the first few months here adjusting to and learning our team's system.
It's not about who can play where, it's about having players that can replace others without sacrificing quality. We could stick Vorm up front, because he CAN play there. He is a footballer. But he's nowhere near Kane in ability in that position. Neither are anyone else in the squad.

Personally I would say that now have a thin squad in two positions.

1. Centre forward. In fact our squad isn't "thin" here it is non existent. There isn't another centre forward in the squad after Kane. Of course this was also the scenario in the first half of the season, so there is no change in this respect, let's just hope that our luck stays in with Harry staying fit.
2. Centre half. We started the transfer window with 4 centre halves with first team experience. We have ended the transfer window with 2 (fit) centre halves with first team experience.

I don't think this has been a good window for us. Irrespective of whether they were getting games or not we transferred 4 squad players, we have also had one of our two first choice centre halves ruled out for what is likely to be the rest of this season. Our overall squad is undoubtedly weaker overall coming out of the window it was going into it.

This 100%. It is almost negligent for any business to be run in a way not to mitigate potentially foreseeable risks. To go into the second half of a season with one centre forward and only two (fit) dedicated centre halves is extraordinarily risky IMO. We trimmed the squad by letting four players leave, to not replace them in the key areas where we have such an obvious need can be seen as reckless by any casual observer.

Personally, I would love to know the reason why the MD mk2 signing didn't happen after he apparently had agreed terms and had a medical. Surely we must have had previously agreed terms with Fulham and any loan back situation. It makes no sense to me.

Reactions: DTA
Surely we need to rename this thread now? ;)

Below is a list of forwards who moved to / from teams in the PL this window. To be fair there isn't too much quality in there. I would've taken any of the three that I have bolded. I can understand why the club didn't push for either Afobe (still raw) or Austin (big wages and long term contract for a pure back up player) As I've already said Doumbia is the one that puzzles me. He would've provided perfect short term cover. I see that Saudi Sportswashing Machine also have an option to buy him this Summer (so he'll be playing for a contract) I see no downside with this deal.

Does any body have the list of forwards who moved to/from European clubs this window?

Juan Iturbe (loan)
Benik Afobe (£10m)
Lewis Grabban (£7m)
Alexandre Pato (loan)
Emmanuel Adebayor (free)
Oumar Niasse (£13.5m)
Steven Naismith (£8.5m)
Patrick Bamford (loan)
Andrej Kramaric (loan)
Seydou Doumbia (loan)
Charlie Austin (£4M)

Dame N’Doye (loan)
Alberto Paloschi (£8M)
Steven Fletcher (loan)
Danny Graham (loan)
Emmanuel Eminike (loan)

Surely we need to rename this thread now? ;)

Below is a list of forwards who moved to / from teams in the PL this window. To be fair there isn't too much quality in there. I would've taken any of the three that I have bolded. I can understand why the club didn't push for either Afobe (still raw) or Austin (big wages and long term contract for a pure back up player) As I've already said Doumbia is the one that puzzles me. He would've provided perfect short term cover. I see that Saudi Sportswashing Machine also have an option to buy him this Summer (so he'll be playing for a contract) I see no downside with this deal.

Does any body have the list of forwards who moved to/from European clubs this window?

Juan Iturbe (loan)
Benik Afobe (£10m)
Lewis Grabban (£7m)
Alexandre Pato (loan)
Emmanuel Adebayor (free)
Oumar Niasse (£13.5m)
Steven Naismith (£8.5m)
Patrick Bamford (loan)
Andrej Kramaric (loan)
Seydou Doumbia (loan)
Charlie Austin (£4M)

Dame N’Doye (loan)
Alberto Paloschi (£8M)
Steven Fletcher (loan)
Danny Graham (loan)
Emmanuel Eminike (loan)

Asking why we didn't sign this or that player as cover until the summer is pointless. Poch didn't want a short term signing. The answers to why has already been given by the man himself.

I wouldn't have minded Naismith or Fletcher but Naismith's price was crazy considering Martinez wanted rid

good signing for Norwich though and he'll understandably get a lot more starts there, i'm not sure Fletcher will start many but the QoL down there is a step up certainly

CaKbCj3W0AAcygr.jpg

CaKbCj7XEAE9JFw.jpg

Blog: Do you know more than Pochettino?

What I dont get is the way people that disagree with the club's strategy this transfer window wrt getting in a striker are being cast!! Fans love the club and it is their emotive right to make statements and point out where they feel things could be better.

I wouldn't have minded Naismith or Fletcher but Naismith's price was crazy considering Martinez wanted rid

good signing for Norwich though and he'll understandably get a lot more starts there, i'm not sure Fletcher will start many but the QoL down there is a step up certainly

Weren't we in for Kramaric at one time? IIRC he chose Leicester over us!

Mods - this needs to be reported to the authorities and taken down immediately. It is a racist anti-Semitic slur.

@Jordinho - Jordy - you should have known better than to post it here.

I disagree that it was wrong to post it here. No one is agreeing with the anti-Semitism or pig ignorant Tweets, in fact quite the opposite.

I disagree that it was wrong to post it here. No one is agreeing with the anti-Semitism or pig ignorant Tweets, in fact quite the opposite.

The more successful we get, the more we will see of that kind of "fan". Just look at the sort that rants about Arsenal and United on youtube.

The more successful we get, the more we will see of that kind of "fan". Just look at the sort that rants about Arsenal and United on youtube.

It's exactly the same as the tacos who were abusing Carroll on Twitter. Everyone has a voice, everyone has a platform, unfortunately, most of them do not have a clue.

Would you have allowed a blatant anti black or anti Muslim post. I don't think so.

Take it down immediately or you will be as culpable as the original poster.

@scaramanga - this is now as issue you need to deal with.

Would you have allowed a blatant anti black or anti Muslim post. I don't think so.

Take it down immediately or you will be as culpable as the original poster.

@scaramanga - this is now as issue you need to deal with.

amazon will sell you a copy of hitlers book, that doesn't make them culpable for the holocaust

there have been multiple posts on reports of racism on here, likewise posts anti to all religions (many by me), plenty by Scara himself

nobody has a right to not be offended

the best way to deal with these fudgers is to publicly shame them

amazon will sell you a copy of hitlers book, that doesn't make them culpable for the holocaust

there have been multiple posts on reports of racism on here, likewise posts anti to all religions (many by me), plenty by Scara himself

nobody has a right to not be offended

the best way to deal with these fudgeers is to publicly shame them

You and all others that think this way need to get a grip of yourselves. There is a law of the land dealing with this issue. This post breaches it. By re-posting, you and others become immediately culpable.

I am giving one last chance to deal with this matter internally.

You and all others that think this way need to get a grip of yourselves. There is a law of the land dealing with this issue. This post breaches it. By re-posting, you and others become immediately culpable.

Hmmmm - I haven't seen the post (I'm assuming it is twitter and anything linked by twitter is blocked by my firewall at work) but are you sure there is a law of the land dealing with this issue?

One last chance?.... Before what Pirate?

that's not how the law works, if it was news organisations wouldn't be able to report anything

there was a high profile case of twitter trolling related to British olympic diver Tom Daley a couple of years ago, the offensive tweets were quoted in many outlets, the original tweeter was charged, no newspapers were

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2012/jul/31/tom-daley-twitter-abuse-law

Its obviously offended (and i can see why- the d.ick who originally wrote that needs a slap) so cant we just delete it and move on.

Back