• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Snippet from ESPNFC Transfer Talk live blog:

Gab Marcotti: I can't comment on the past but Levy is not the reason Spurs haven't signed a striker this month. In fact, I've heard he definitely offered Pochettino Austin in the summer. It's Poch who's reluctant... He is very wary of upsetting squad balance and is only interested in a long-term solution, rather than a stop-gap

I like this Poch guy. He really has a vision for the future and isn't a knee-jerk manager. As much as some people may bemoan this in this transfer window, I think we'll see the fruits of this approach in the long term.

I still believe that we need a striker and can see us getting severely punished for not
bringing one in but I do trust Poch's decision and it seems that squad morale is just as an important matter for him than tactics. It is quite refreshing to have someone who isn't a AVB or a Redknapp but is a little bit of both.

Because as good as Chadli and Son are, skills like attacking the 6 yard box, timing runs into the box, holding the ball up, bringing others into play, linking attack and midfield among other things come more naturally to a striker.
Then if that's the case and presumably they don't have those skills (which they do posses to a certain extent), they shouldn't be good enough to even fill in for a game or two. So the question remains the same: if they're good enough for a game or two, as you claim, why not for more games?

I'm struggling to square the first and second half of this sentence.

Well he played there growing up and for Soton so that's what I meant by natural, it didn't mean to come across as he's a natural striker so he will score 30 goals if he played up front.

That doesn't mean he isn't a natural striker, whether he would succeed playing up front long term is another arguement.

He signed for Arsenal when he just turned 17 and has been played on the wing for the 10 years since - he's no more a striker than any of our options.

Thierry Henry was a winger who Wenger converted to a striker. Eric Dier was a CB last season, now he is playing DM.

What's your point? Walcott thought he was and played as a striker as a kid ( most do) but he is not a striker and his apperances for the Arse have been mostly as a winger. Your assumption was he is a natural strike which he obviously is not.

Then if that's the case and presumably they don't have those skills (which they do posses to a certain extent), they shouldn't be good enough to even fill in for a game or two. So the question remains the same: if they're good enough for a game or two, as you claim, why not for more games?

I don't believe you can sustain playing without a striker for more than a handful of games, certainly not close to half a season. Chances are we will have to play somewhere between 20-30 games until the end of the season.

What's your point? Walcott thought he was and played as a striker as a kid ( most do) but he is not a striker and his apperances for the Arse have been mostly as a winger. Your assumption was he is a natural strike which he obviously is not.

Someone claimed that our backups for Kane are no different to Arsenal's, I pointed out that I believe they are not.

N'jie played as a striker for Lyon alongside Lacazette and from what I have read played the forward role in his youth so I guess that's our natural striker right there...

I don't believe you can sustain playing without a striker for more than a handful of games, certainly not close to half a season. Chances are we will have to play somewhere between 20-30 games until the end of the season.
Look, we're getting plenty of goals from other positions and we have the best defense in the league. We don't need to blow teams out of the water every game. 1-0 or 2-1 wins will do just fine to keep us on track to pursue our objectives.

Back