• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tennis thread

Amazing, always thought he would get one eventually. Thoroughly deserved. Without doubt he's the best player in the world at the moment.

@danpope: Best Murray fact of the night: Roger, Rafa & Novak all beat men who'd never won a slam to win their first. Murray's never had that luxury.

Well done to Murray, a great achievement.

He deserved a GS, good on him and the first of several I am sure.

How did the boys singles final go?

I wonder if more people will accept him now that he has won a grand slam. Winning seems to cure everything as people love a winner regardless of what they have done in their lives i.e. Tiger Woods, David Haye, Mike Tyson.

Is there another athlete in British sport let alone tennis that is under as much pressure as Murray? The England football team are under great pressure, but Murray has to shoulder the burden all by himself.

He's proved what a great player he is over the past few years and this win confirms that he is now part of a big 4 in mens tennis.

Fell asleep in the second set - but left the recorder on! Going to watch it later today, sounds like an epic.

Well done, Murray - long overdue based purely on talent and ability. I suppose praise needs to go to Lendl as well. My preference has always been towards Djokovic as a player but he hasn't played great tennis this year, while Murray has been in fine form over the last few months.

Great tennis year so far - all Top 4 seeds have won a GS each

Also good for the sport that there is now another player who has won a slam. And each slam has a different winner, when was the last time that happened?

@danpope: Best Murray fact of the night: Roger, Rafa & Novak all beat men who'd never won a slam to win their first. Murray's never had that luxury.

Well done to Murray, a great achievement.

Not true. Novak had to beat Federer and Hewitt. Nadal had to beat Federer. Federer though got a clean run, tho he had the Pou in the final.

Novak's first GS was against Tsonga in the Aussie Open, mate - 2008

Nadal beat Puerta in the 2005 French Open - his first GS

Roger beat the Greek/Aussie in 2003 - his first GS at Wimbledon

Last edited:
Murray showed huge amount of guts to win that after giving away 2 sets...the camel is off his back now, he'll win plenty more

Strange - it's my least favourite GS on the Tour - would have gone for Wimbledon or Melbourne personally

It's my favourite slam. Having been there twice, I can vouch that the atmosphere is great when Arthur Ashe is full! I love Wimbledon and the history of it, but the crowd can be a bit stuffy.

Roland Garros is my least favourite.

That's not what it says though, and if so, so what?

Hewitt never had that luxury either and didn't bottle it the first 3 times either.

He also didn't have to compete in an era as tough as this.

No way would Hewitt have beaten Fed, Djokovic or Nadal in a final in their primes.

That's not what it says though, and if so, so what?

Hewitt never had that luxury either and didn't bottle it the first 3 times either.

Why are getting agitato-potato over this?

I simply clarified the tweet's context - couldn't care less who beat who where on the route to what.

Murray actually lost 4 finals prior to this, not 3

Why are getting agitato-potato over this?

I simply clarified the tweet's context - couldn't care less who beat who where on the route to what.

Murray actually lost 4 finals prior to this, not 3

Just bitter cos a brit won a slam whilst the Aussies don't really have anyone bar Tomic :p

I think it's also pretty cool that Murray won his first at the US, he's said before that it's his favourite tournament ever since he won there in the juniors.

It does mean, however though that the British media will still bang on about not having won Wimbledon for a thousand years.. I hope is able to win one at some point, although the expectation will be so high from now on.

Back