• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

I am absolutely firm in not having these calls for reviews, its a fudging nonsense.

I also think there should be criteria where by VAR can be used, so as to avoid that creep.

I am absolutely firm in not having VAR but as with VAR there is a demand for it to be added so why not if it corrects a wrong decision, just in the office and everyone saying that the first goal should have been disallowed if we had VAR etc.

I am absolutely firm in not having VAR but as with VAR there is a demand for it to be added so why not if it corrects a wrong decision, just in the office and everyone saying that the first goal should have been disallowed if we had VAR etc.

In game challenges will just add gamesmanship to proceedings, and will also most certainly disrupt the flow of games as you are so against. I just dont see what purpose it serves other than to be contrary to the point of improving the game.

With respect, people in the office (yours or mine) dont know the rules. So their opinion doesnt really count for much, does it?

I think its sensible for VAR to come in with criteria to which it applies, according to Graham Poll restarts arent in that criteria. So the goal should stand.

I would think, with your reluctance around VAR, you would also want it to not intrude on every detail of the game.

Im all in favour of it for key decisions, not for every decision.

In game challenges will just add gamesmanship to proceedings, and will also most certainly disrupt the flow of games as you are so against. I just dont see what purpose it serves other than to be contrary to the point of improving the game.

With respect, people in the office (yours or mine) dont know the rules. So their opinion doesnt really count for much, does it?

I think its sensible for VAR to come in with criteria to which it applies, according to Graham Poll restarts arent in that criteria. So the goal should stand.

I would think, with your reluctance around VAR, you would also want it to not intrude on every detail of the game.

Im all in favour of it for key decisions, not for every decision.

Sorry I was not talking about the rules as they stand, but the fact that there would be a demand to change those rules so yes in this instance their opinions do count. The justification for VAR is there is a demand, the justification for adding "not being in the opposition half" would also be there is a demand. Look at Galeforce in this thread he is calling for it to be introduced in the future.

My fear is we would not stop at what you think is the correct level of VAR, as the argument that is used for any level of VAR "if it removes wrong decisions its a good thing" will can then be applied to other situations. To be clear I do not want VAR to intrude on any detail of the game.

This is a real fear and has been the case in other sports where it has been introduced, adding not encroaching will be one of the areas they "iron out".

I certainly worry they will go too far with it.

I think at the moment the demand, by which I mean from clubs/managers who call for it, is to get big decisions right. Not every single thing that happens on the field recorded and judged.

Im happy to keep it within those kind of parameters and still leave room for human error.

As you have been saying, even with replays its possible to make a contentious decision. My sole hope is that the "right" decision is made much more often than now.

Firstly so the "right" result follows more often than not. And secondly because I hope it will improve how the game is conducted.

I certainly worry they will go too far with it.

I think at the moment the demand, by which I mean from clubs/managers who call for it, is to get big decisions right. Not every single thing that happens on the field recorded and judged.

Im happy to keep it within those kind of parameters and still leave room for human error.

As you have been saying, even with replays its possible to make a contentious decision. My sole hope is that the "right" decision is made much more often than now.

Firstly so the "right" result follows more often than not. And secondly because I hope it will improve how the game is conducted.
I don't want to get hung up on it as I have made my point but Managers even now talk about a ball that went out for a throw (a couple of phases before) to excuse a goal and how the ref should have seen it, if you think Mourinho wouldn't have been banging on about he unfairness of VAR (if we had it) for not being able to review encroachment you are more trusing than me.

I think Mourinho is exactly the sort of clam who would. He is also someone who has no interest in what is best for the game, only himself. I would hope that the authorities draw a line at a sensible point and consequently tell him to fudge off.

While we might differ in our view of the need for VAR, I dont think we differ in fears over how it could be implemented.

Wasn't the point about not being in the opponents' half linked to the rule about the ball having to be played forward from the kickoff? After the recent rule change, and with the ball being played towards our goal, surely Kane wasn't technically offside anyway.

Wasn't the point about not being in the opponents' half linked to the rule about the ball having to be played forward from the kickoff? After the recent rule change, and with the ball being played towards our goal, surely Kane wasn't technically offside anyway.
its not offside - different rule.
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules...l-11-11/law-8---the-start-and-restart-of-play

Kick off

PROCEDURE

• the team that wins the toss of a coin decides which goal it will attack in the first half
  • their opponents take the kick-off
  • the team that wins the toss takes the kick-off to start the second half
  • for the second half, the teams change ends and attack the opposite goals
  • after a team scores a goal, the kick-off is taken by their opponents
For every kick-off:
  • all players, except the player taking the kick off, must be in their own half of the field of play
  • the opponents of the team taking the kick-off must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play
  • the ball must be stationary on the centre mark
  • the referee gives a signal
  • the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves
  • a goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off; if the ball directly enters the kicker's goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opponents

• the opponents of the team taking the kick-off are at least 9.15 m (10 yds)

There is a very simple situation with VAR.

The ref has the power to decide if he can/cannot give a goal
The ref has the power to decide if he can/cannot give a penalty
The clock is stopped when VAR is being reviewed
The clock should also be stopped when a goal is scored

The players let the ref get on with refereeing the game

Goals are so impactful in football results that is essential we give the ref the choice to get a second view if they need.
They will still get things wrong. But anything that reducing things that are wrong is a good thing.

I do get the prolonged uncertainty argument, though. Fractions of a second matter in that gap between chagrin and euphoria, and VAR time tends to inoculate against the latter.

We benefitted from it today but the current interpretation of offside is ridiculous.

Either put it back to how it used to be or get rid of it altogether.
Exactly, seemingly by the letter of the law it was the correct decision, but it’s a joke ruling. Kane should be offside there.

I haven’t played football properly for a few years now, but makes you wonder how these refs on Saturday and even Sunday morning football cope with reffing this?

Someone touched on it earlier.

the argument of if it gets the decisions right we should use, does this not mean it will creep up the amount its used in the game? VAR is used in a game and is not used for a situation that was wrongly called and changed the game, there will be calls for it to be used more, because why not, we have the technology why not use it?

Back