• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Though what happens for penalty calls where the ref waves it away but might have been wrong? The game ordinarily carries on, but do we then stop it for VAR to review the incident? Or play on while VAR reviews, then go back if it was a penalty? You could end up with a non penalty call, other team goes up the other end and scores, then VAR says it was a penalty, so that goal gets wiped off and the game goes back to a penalty for the other team. That would be bizarre to watch, even if it's the right decision.
That's how it should currently work if the referee wants a VAR review. If a penalty claim occurs and the referee's decision is for play to continue but he wants the incident reviewed then, if play doesn't stop beforehand (because the ball goes out of play or another offence occurs), the referee should stop it as soon as play is in a neutral area.
http://theifab.com/backend/library/lib/Protocol Summary (EN)

You arent, its a breach of rules - but not something VAR can pick up.
Our pen is just as likely to be "non obvious" due to him getting the ball, unless poll changed his mind on a replay (my stream jumped a bit)

(*not starting an argument just pointing out negatives to counter the positive)

*if VAR can't pick up the player in the opposition half I would be livid if against us if things like offside can be

You arent, its a breach of rules - but not something VAR can pick up.

Something else they can easily fix, position of all players at KO, goal kicks, FK’s penalties, etc can easily be checked by VAR.

Dollars to doughnuts, had the Eriksen goal been called back for Kane encroaching he would never ever do it again.

Do we really want the game to change in this way? I go back to the positives do not outweigh the negatives

I do, I don’t see any negatives, nothing is more important than being right. The goal should be perfectly officiated matches, anything that moves us closer to that is worth it.

I do, I don’t see any negatives, nothing is more important than being right. The goal should be perfectly officiated matches, anything that moves us closer to that is worth it.
Not for me, I see reffing as common law rather than to the letter of the law.

I like hustle and bustle at a corner, pens need to be more certain than free kicks etc. And I would guess most agree (most not wanting VAR)

Our pen is just as likely to be "non obvious" due to him getting the ball, unless poll changed his mind on a replay (my stream jumped a bit)

(*not starting an argument just pointing out negatives to counter the positive)

I think if a ref had 20 seconds to watch that from a few angles he makes the right call.

And, lets be honest - the point is that he has the absolute best chance of making the right call, compared to seeing it in real time from 20 yards. And thats really the crux of it for me.

*if VAR can't pick up the player in the opposition half I would be livid if against us if things like offside can be

Its not applicable to VAR as its a restart, according to Poll. Seems there is criteria in place for what VAR can be used for.

Not for me, I see reffing as common law rather than to the letter of the law.

I like hustle and bustle at a corner, pens need to be more certain than free kicks etc. And I would guess most agree (most not wanting VAR)

I may well be a minority (the enlightened often are ;)) but the sooner it’s a non contact sport not affected by the inconsistencies of human nature the better.

Not in VAR yet, would it be one of the things they iron out..

There is lots of calls for common sense reffing.

I am too happy to keep going tonight, carry this on later :)

It wouldnt, Graham Poll said - it wouldnt be applicable because it was a start/restart to the game.
I think Poll was wrong (it wouldn't be the first time). The protocol says "The Laws of the Game do not allow restart decisions (corner kicks,throw-ins etc.) to be changed once play has restarted, so they can not be reviewed." That is to say the decision can't be reviewed but the restart itself can be. VAR can't be used to review whether the ball was out of play, which team touched it last, etc. but it could be used to review whether play was correctly restarted (if that was the start of the attacking move that led to a reviewable incident).

regardless of whether its allowed or not now I would be pretty certain the rules would be changed if we scored this against Man U, there would be mission creep imo.

Potential VAR decisions last night for me would have been:

1st goal
Ali penalty
Son penalty
Lloris hand ball (have not seen it conclusively either way).

Based on previous I would imagine Man U would get all the calls on review ;).

regardless of whether its allowed or not now I would be pretty certain the rules would be changed if we scored this against Man U, there would be mission creep imo.

Potential VAR decisions last night for me would have been:

1st goal
Ali penalty
Son penalty
Lloris hand ball (have not seen it conclusively either way).

Based on previous I would imagine Man U would get all the calls on review ;).

I am absolutely firm in not having these calls for reviews, its a fudging nonsense.

I also think there should be criteria where by VAR can be used, so as to avoid that creep.

Back