• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

It was not his worse game for sure but i would much rather we played Lo Celso there as he offers a lot more. Nuno has dropped Alli and now if he wants to get the team playing better he neeeds to play Lo Celso in the CM not Tanguy. imo

I'm definitely not comfortable carrying him in CM.
If he hasn't learnt in two years, I doubt he will now.
He needs to learn in training and be match ready - he's clearly not.
I agree
But against teams where we expect and plan to do naive the ball he is an option there
For him to play as a 10 he has a LOT to learn

Not sure if you are already aware, it's a derogatory reference to Ndombele's skin colour. No need for that at all.

We have the same expression in Norwegian, but it's not racist at all (it literally means "calling a shovel a shovel") - which I've found was the original meaning in English as well.
https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...acist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade?t=1633298934968

... but of course, if it's generally known that it's a racist term in English - then fudge that.

His main problem is his movement off the ball.

Perhaps this can be coached.

But he is very poor at moving into space to receive a pass. This is the same problem regardless which position he plays.

As a 6 or 8 he needs to move into the right position to receive the ball from the back. As a 10 he needs to be the right position to receive the ball from the midfield.

Without this he can't play in either position without slowing the play down.

And this is why always has less touches of the ball than the other central players.

But he is very poor at moving into space to receive a pass. This is the same problem regardless which position he plays.

As a 6 or 8 he needs to move into the right position to receive the ball from the back. As a 10 he needs to be the right position to receive the ball from the midfield.

And this is why always has less touches of the ball than the other central players.
Same as Dele and Moura. If they do receive a pass back its in the wrong place and under pressure immediately that kills off the move.

Modric, Kante and Eriksen had the micro and macro view so that they could play the neat 1-2 into the right space for the through ball into attack. Not sure what its called but requires a spatial intelligence as well as timing . Like take 2 steps that way and suddenly the perspective offers a couple more options.

Modern midfield pressing is also about little traps that cut off options. Thats why we can't build up our play when Dele Moura and Ndomb are in midfield too easy to lure them into dead ends.

I think it can be coached but it takes a long time with no guarantees.

Disagree, I think his movement is fine. Particularly compared to our other midfield options.

Against Villa he was always going to have fewer touches than Skipp and Hojbjerg, that comes with the positions and roles the players were playing. If we found it as easy to find Ndombele in more advanced positions as Skipp/Hojbjerg in deeper positions Villa would have to be defending dreadfully.

He got the ball in good positions quite a lot against Villa, even made some good runs well into the final third. The contrast from the Arsenal game is clear and mainly down to us playing a different style. Just didn't deliver the required quality often enough on the ball in those positions. That will come if we keep getting him the ball in good areas.

Didn't play great but looked like he was trying. Funnily enough it's the sort of performance Alli would get excused for 'because he's that sort of player and it doesn't always come off'.

Got no problems with him an Lo Celso fighting it out for the #10 role, thought the sub should have happened a bit earlier. Now the formation is set, the parts can get put into where they're meant to be.

Didn't play great but looked like he was trying. Funnily enough it's the sort of performance Alli would get excused for 'because he's that sort of player and it doesn't always come off'.

Got no problems with him an Lo Celso fighting it out for the #10 role, thought the sub should have happened a bit earlier. Now the formation is set, the parts can get put into where they're meant to be.
Yesterday though Tanguy looked like he wasn’t at the same work level of others
We had an injection of energy once Lo Celso came on
That’s the level Tanguy has to play at
I still say trying to make him into a 10 which is a new role for him is not something we should be trying until we have a settled system in place, if at all

Lo Celso definitely looks a more buzzy bee schemer type of a player, and I think he enjoys being central as he likes being 'involved' as much as possible. You'll get the defensive side from him all day long as well (plus the brickhouse stuff as a bonus)

Tanguy is different as he does play (to a degree) in his own world and rhythm. And I think that is the negative side of being a 'street footballer' type. The best teams are all well oiled cogs with programmed patterns and tactics. You can't have someone freestyling as its out of sync with the other cogs.

Lo Celso definitely looks a more buzzy bee schemer type of a player, and I think he enjoys being central as he likes being 'involved' as much as possible. You'll get the defensive side from him all day long as well (plus the brickhouse stuff as a bonus)

Tanguy is different as he does play (to a degree) in his own world and rhythm. And I think that is the negative side of being a 'street footballer' type. The best teams are all well oiled cogs with programmed patterns and tactics. You can't have someone freestyling as its out of sync with the other cogs.

it’s a massive part of the issue with him
As technically good as he is, his style of play is instinctive so hard to plan to include for

There's still a chance BOTH can play at the same time though. They are both talents. We saw what Tanguy can do in that Lyon/City game.

Both on their 3rd seasons though, we gotta work it out soon:)

Back