• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tanguy Ndombele

I feel that too often in big games NDombele simply doesn't show up. Can anyone name a single game where he ( and we) have run the show in midfield?

I feel that too often in big games NDombele simply doesn't show up. Can anyone name a single game where he ( and we) have run the show in midfield?
I think (like most in our team) he is suited to front-foot, attacking football, where you turn it over high and his brilliant passing and vision will create goal scoring chances in the transition.

Ha ha we do about 20 tight passes and manouvers to get the ball to Ndombele in space and just passes it 5 yards backwards to our worst passer. Unbelievable.
That one is really bad as he could have taken that under no pressure and ran with it like he does when he is under pressure

Being harsh on Tanguy after he has had a poor game :rolleyes:, he has been playing well most of the season and he has a off day and s ome fans are jumping on one poor game from him. Nothing fickle in that is they? :(

Being harsh on Tanguy after he has had a poor game :rolleyes:, he has been playing well most of the season and he has a off day and s ome fans are jumping on one poor game from him. Nothing fickle in that is they? :(
No but he should be dug out for a Lazy performance
I mean some players get slated even if they play well

i do not disagree but some of the digging out over a bad game from a usually good performing player is a little over the top from s ome. imo
Yeah true
But it was that bad IMO
And him and bale were the worst for it
And it was a derby in which so many players treated it like a friendly

Ha ha we do about 20 tight passes and manouvers to get the ball to Ndombele in space and just passes it 5 yards backwards to our worst passer. Unbelievable.
Very true.
Good player but need more from him than pointing to where others should pass it, he's good enough to dictate play maybe he doesn't have confidence to do it I don't know?

Just made a couple of video clips as examples of what I'm talking about.

First one: Ndombele makes no effort to get on the ball whatsoever, pointing for the pass to go backwards to another player instead:

Second one, 5 minutes later: he initially makes a small amount of effort to get on the ball, doesn't receive it, gets frustrated, jogs away, points for the pass to go to another defender, and eventually complains / gets frustrated again. When the ball finally gets passed to him at the end of the clip, he shows the most energy of the entire 35 seconds.

I disagree.
He certainly did not have his best game by some stretch, but to my eye, the examples you offer don't present him as a major issue. In each case, the main issue is the press the goons have on Toby and Reggie. The first clip? If he races in to collect a short pass and anything goes wrong, the middle is wide-open. The second clip? The moment around 15 seconds when Toby has the ball, has a chance to play to his right and instead turns back to the left and Tanguy gets frustrated? I remember being frustrated at the time. I was with Reggie also, but again, the press on both of them was good. Then when Ndombele does finally get the ball, he's criticized for not turning and going forward when it looks to me like the quick lay off and his subsequent movement gives us the chance to have an extra man going forward. I think too often we were both slow and poor in our initial passing passages, and that will certainly have an effect on the sort of game Ndombele plays.
Milo made the excellent point that Ndombele does need to learn to be smarter and go down on the first foul rather than try to play through 2 more before either getting done or getting a free-kick.

p.s. the pointing thing? I'll bet you could analyze the match footage and find them all pointing like that at one time or another.

Last edited:

The key is the 20 tight passes it took before he got the ball. If you want the best from Tanguy, get him the ball quickly. Again, and I am surprised no-one is commenting, look at how the goons pressed the right areas to make that quick ball to him much, much harder.

I disagree.
He certainly did not have his best game by some stretch, but to my eye, the examples you offer don't present him as a major issue. In each case, the main issue is the press the goons have on Toby and Reggie. The first clip? If he races in to collect a short pass and anything goes wrong, the middle is wide-open. The second clip? The moment around 15 seconds when Toby has the ball, has a chance to play to his right and instead turns back to the left and Tanguy gets frustrated? I remember being frustrated at the time. I was with Reggie also, but again, the press on both of them was good. Then when Ndombele does finally get the ball, he's criticized for not turning and going forward when it looks to me like the quick lay off and his subsequent movement gives us the chance to have an extra man going forward. I think too often we were both slow and poor in our initial passing passages, and that will certainly have an effect on the sort of game Ndombele plays.
Milo made the excellent point that Ndombele does need to learn to be smarter and go down on the first foul rather than try to play through 2 more before either getting done or getting a free-kick.

p.s. the pointing thing? I'll bet you could analyze the match footage and find them all pointing like that at one time or another.
Both passages Arsenal look more to close down passing options than to close down our defenders initially. Agreed that we need to move the ball better from the back.

Would like Ndombele to do even more to demand the ball. Would like to see either Ndombele or Hojbjerg moving deeper to join in the buildup play.

We don't really have the ability to play a quick and accurate passing game from the back. Playing through pressure we rely very heavily on Ndombele and that makes us easier to press. And vulnerable when Ndombele has an off day, like he did.

The key is the 20 tight passes it took before he got the ball. If you want the best from Tanguy, get him the ball quickly. Again, and I am surprised no-one is commenting, look at how the goons pressed the right areas to make that quick ball to him much, much harder.
TBF though once he got the ball he had loads of room to do something with it. And the guy is more than capable of doing something with it too
I wonder if he like Kane were carrying a knock. The issue is the alternative to him wasnt fit yet

Ndombele needs to move the ball 'at times' quicker and simpler. He seems to relish the chance to beat his opponent with a clever trick. I think there are occasions when he should just move the ball on quicker. He is overcomplicating his possession and getting double, even triple-teamed. He needs to pick his moments.

My uneducated opinion is, when we get aggressively pressed Højbjerg and N'Dombele move to the flanks to defend and the central defenders move closer together forming a low block of a back 6, this then puts all the pressure on the front 3 plus the AM to be able to act as an outlet from the press.

Once we are in a low block the opposition midfield is then free to press our outlet players and unless there is an accurate log ball that negates the midfield entirely we get swamped and lose possession of the ball.

Before N'Dombele was moved alongside Højbjerg in CM he seemed to be our most successful outlet player because he could beat the press and get the ball past the midfield to Son or Kane freeing them to attack the oppositions defence, thus causing the opposition to relinquish the press as they needed to defend deeper. When he is part of the low block he can no longer influence the game the way we have seen when he plays higher up the pitch and as much as I like Moura's runs and Dele's flicks, for these types of games I think N'dombele is our best option in that role, even if it means starting Winks or Sissoko next to Højbjerg in midfield.

I could be wrong, I normally am when it comes to football tactics

My uneducated opinion is, when we get aggressively pressed Højbjerg and N'Dombele move to the flanks to defend and the central defenders move closer together forming a low block of a back 6, this then puts all the pressure on the front 3 plus the AM to be able to act as an outlet from the press.

Once we are in a low block the opposition midfield is then free to press our outlet players and unless there is an accurate log ball that negates the midfield entirely we get swamped and lose possession of the ball.

Before N'Dombele was moved alongside Højbjerg in CM he seemed to be our most successful outlet player because he could beat the press and get the ball past the midfield to Son or Kane freeing them to attack the oppositions defence, thus causing the opposition to relinquish the press as they needed to defend deeper. When he is part of the low block he can no longer influence the game the way we have seen when he plays higher up the pitch and as much as I like Moura's runs and Dele's flicks, for these types of games I think N'dombele is our best option in that role, even if it means starting Winks or Sissoko next to Højbjerg in midfield.

I could be wrong, I normally am when it comes to football tactics
The problem is we lack an AM not Ndombele playing deep. If we ever get Lo Celso fit and firing they marked difference in the quality of football we play will be evident.

Back