• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tactics Thread

And sometimes we don't even need a 10.

String the 3 more across the pitch like Skipp Winks PEH at Leicester away. 2 of them go box to box.

We have 4 to choose from now, and Bentancur looks a player, he can be one of them
I really like having two players pressing from the midfield kinda like spoilers … it’s what Kante did when he came in vs us in the league at home. Get turnover higher up the pitch

Royal to defend only as Romero pushes into midfield.
.......................... Lloris.......................
.......... Romero... Dier... Davies.........
Royal....................................Sessegnon
..............Bentancur...Skipp................
........................Kulusevski..................
..................Kane.............Son..............

Interesting.
Mini-wonkies.
The left is traditional, Davies sits deep and Sessegnon is free to attack,
On the right we have a defensive Royal and a more attacking Romero.

Could be interesting, as long as the system is drilled and midfielders know where to go and who to cover.

As long as Doherty and Sanchez aren't playing, that suits me. Chickens.

We are commiting too many in defence and hence too little pressure up front. Our attacks are either slow and systematic to pack the opposition in their own half or when we go fast we are outnumbered. Quite different from last season where Son had ample space to run into.

So far its a hard watch for me, but no doubt its an effective antidote to the little triangles and blitz attack that is crowd pleasing and fashionable. Can't help but think that Conte is compensating for the lack of quality as he manage some more exciting yet equally effective football with Chelsea.

We are commiting too many in defence and hence too little pressure up front. Our attacks are either slow and systematic to pack the opposition in their own half or when we go fast we are outnumbered. Quite different from last season where Son had ample space to run into.

So far its a hard watch for me, but no doubt its an effective antidote to the little triangles and blitz attack that is crowd pleasing and fashionable. Can't help but think that Conte is compensating for the lack of quality as he manage some more exciting yet equally effective football with Chelsea.
Our attacks aren't slow and we don't get out numbered in attack. Yesterday we ended up with several 3 on 3s and with better decision making we would've scored more.
It's also fairly direct with getting the ball into the forwards quickly when possible. Not saying it's the nicest football to watch, but it's not because of the attack.

The reason for this is simple, in the modern game most good teams have 2 of the 5 in defense aka their wing backs who can contribute to both defense and attack, we have Perisic other than that its blunt. Also neither of the two CM contribute particularly in attack other than the odd ball over the top from PEH, they rarely even add to the numbers further up the pitch.

Its not the system, its the upgrade needed to RWB and CM for me

Our attacks aren't slow and we don't get out numbered in attack. Yesterday we ended up with several 3 on 3s and with better decision making we would've scored more.
It's also fairly direct with getting the ball into the forwards quickly when possible. Not saying it's the nicest football to watch, but it's not because of the attack.

Yeah, when we can we're direct and quick with our attacking play. And looking rather dangerous with a good consistency.

Our ability to break down teams that sit back, when forced to be patient remains less proven.

Our record in the last 15 games is exceptional
And I mean exceptional
Yet we have fans who think the manager may need to change things

Amen to that, Conte is still working on the team and despite what s ome fans think it CAN NOT be done over night. 9 months as manager and with quite a few new players, different system and attitude from him takes time.

Watch the first 15 minutes of the match again.

• Kane scores.
  • Kane is clean through 1-1 with the keeper, takes a poor touch and he’s well tackled. Normally he’d at least get the shot off and probably score too.
  • Ball breaks to Son on edge of the box in space - shoots a foot wide of the top corner.
Chances to score were being created. And that was just 15 minutes, in the half we were supposedly not very good in. Whenever you score the other team reacts and raise their game - normally. They have some talented players but we kept them to one solitary shot on target. We were away from home. Only real criticism from me is we didn’t finish more chances.

Last edited:
Said it a few times before but our system is very similar to Liverpool in my view

- both play with a front 3
- we play with WBs and their FBs play as wing backs
- we both have a group of 5 (3CBs and 2 holding midfielders for us vs 2 CBs and 3 largely unadventurous CMs) who generally provide a platform for the above 5 to attack

The only real difference in my view is that we wont have the right type of player as RWB. In the same way that Reguilon is a capable LB but not a LWB, Royal is a capable RB but not a RWB

Said it a few times before but our system is very similar to Liverpool in my view

- both play with a front 3
- we play with WBs and their FBs play as wing backs
- we both have a group of 5 (3CBs and 2 holding midfielders for us vs 2 CBs and 3 largely unadventurous CMs) who generally provide a platform for the above 5 to attack

The only real difference in my view is that we wont have the right type of player as RWB. In the same way that Reguilon is a capable LB but not a LWB, Royal is a capable RB but not a RWB

Personally I’d say Liverpool’s midfielders contribute more in attack (both from watching them play and seeing the stats). 11 goals and 11 assists in 76 starts between Keita, Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago last season.

Agree a better RWB would make a big difference though!

Agree a better RWB would make a big difference though!
Yes, Emerson Royal is more Troy Archibald Henville rather than Trent Alexander Arnold.

Also Liverpool press high (heavy metal football) which is massively different to Conte Spurs.

• Kane scores.
  • Kane is clean through 1-1 with the keeper, takes a poor touch and he’s well tackled. Normally he’d at least get the shot off and probably score too.
  • Ball breaks to Son on edge of the box in space - shoots a foot wide of the top corner.
Chances to score were being created. And that was just 15 minutes, in the half we were supposedly not very good in. Whenever you score the other team reacts and raise their game - normally. They have some talented players but we kept them to one solitary shot on target. We were away from home. Only real criticism from me is we didn’t finish more chances.
And … they were chasing the game so committed men forward

I know some do if fans don’t like this football, but it’s football than wins matches and therefore trophies

we looked more likely to score a second than they did an equaliser

go behind vs us and it can be game over

has any team came back vs us except for Southampton at home in freak game ?

• Kane scores.
Watch his career goals video and see that he's lost quite a bit of unpredictability and agility. I don't think it's him losing ability naturally, but injuries seem to have changed the way he attacks. Still has a attacker's intelligence up there that doesn't go away, so I think he go back to a false 9 to create more space for Son and Kulu.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

Watch his career goals video and see that he's lost quite a bit of unpredictability and agility. I don't think it's him losing ability naturally, but injuries seem to have changed the way he attacks. Still has a attacker's intelligence up there that doesn't go away, so I think he go back to a false 9 to create more space for Son and Kulu.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Fapatalk

No Kae is just fine. Without him we'd have been in trouble. Scored both goals ffs. On another day with the same setup we could have bagged 3-4. I think Paratici and Conte both think we could do with one more player with pace to make our counters more potent, but we're still doing fine with our front 3. Their stats are world-leading.

I know Conte won't and its probably not the right thing to do, but.....
I'd like us to try a 4231 and play Kane as the 10 with Richarlison in front of him.
Conte's system relies massively in creativity from the wing backs but we only have the threat coming down the left. Our midfielders work hard but don't create so Kane keeps dropping deep and smart teams are pretty much man marking him so he can't turn and get his head up.

I know Conte won't and its probably not the right thing to do, but.....
I'd like us to try a 4231 and play Kane as the 10 with Richarlison in front of him.
Conte's system relies massively in creativity from the wing backs but we only have the threat coming down the left. Our midfielders work hard but don't create so Kane keeps dropping deep and smart teams are pretty much man marking him so he can't turn and get his head up.
Or just okay better attacking wing backs… which he has

Back