• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Superspur vs Leicester OMT: The Sequel ***

Davies/Rose is at least up for discussion at this point. Rose wasn't great yesterday and with the way we have changed our full backs recently I would actually expect Davies to be a bit more likely than Rose.

Would we know if Dembele was back in contention at this point? Could still be in with a shout perhaps?

I also wouldn't be totally shocked if Bentaleb got a start ahead of Carroll, though I don't think it's likely.

I think he will go for Rose. Rose can play a wingback role if we need to go 3 at the back to deal with Leicester's 442.
I can't see Davies being trusted against Mahrez.
Rose will at least kick him if he can't deal with Mahrez. Davies in a similar situation would fade out of the game.

Looking at the comments I've seen from the Leicester fans i know i hope we batter them now.. i mean absolutely tear them apart and leave them in tears

I doubt that will be the case but i can hope :)

We could still do a lot lot better.

I'm not sure if that's the case if we're currently leading the way in goals from set pieces - of course we should be looking to improve all parts of our game but the scope for improvement when you're already doing better than everyone else is much smaller.

I think it highlights quite well the idea that all teams fans think they do poorly with set pieces, regardless of how well they actually do

Last edited:
I think he will go for Rose. Rose can play a wingback role if we need to go 3 at the back to deal with Leicester's 442.
I can't see Davies being trusted against Mahrez.
Rose will at least kick him if he can't deal with Mahrez. Davies in a similar situation would fade out of the game.

Could be, but it could just as easily be Davies imo.

Rose kicking Mahrez and picking up an early yellow would not be good. Davies has been good against quick tricky wingers this season, pretty much nullified Deulofeu against Everton after having Lennon in his pocket for all except one situation before their sub.

I'm not sure if that's the case if we're currently leading the way in goals from set pieces - of course we should be looking to improve all parts of our game but the scope for improvement when you're already do better than everyone else is much smaller.

I think it highlights quite well the idea that all teams fans think they do poorly with set pieces, regardless of how well they actually do

Spot on. I think it comes in part from watching all of our set pieces, while primarily one gets to see the successful set pieces from other teams in highlights.

Could be, but it could just as easily be Davies imo.

Rose kicking Mahrez and picking up an early yellow would not be good. Davies has been good against quick tricky wingers this season, pretty much nullified Deulofeu against Everton after having Lennon in his pocket for all except one situation before their sub.

Spot on. I think it comes in part from watching all of our set pieces, while primarily one gets to see the successful set pieces from other teams in highlights.

Fair point. But virtually every cross Gray put over was dangerous compared to a risibly poor percentage from Eriksen. We get an awful lot of possession in and around the opponents box so I would expect us to have a higher number of corners and free kicks. The fact we are up there with Man Citt should therefore cause no surprise. I would like to see number of successful conversions as a percentage of free kicks and corners as this would give a much better idea of how we are doing compared to our peers.

Fair point. But virtually every cross Gray put over was dangerous compared to a risibly poor percentage from Eriksen. We get an awful lot of possession in and around the opponents box so I would expect us to have a higher number of corners and free kicks. The fact we are up there with Man Citt should therefore cause no surprise. I would like to see number of successful conversions as a percentage of free kicks and corners as this would give a much better idea of how we are doing compared to our peers.

Would you have guessed before the stat was posted that we were top in this regard?

We're up there with the other top teams that should also (following your logic) get a lot of set pieces... Surely that points towards us doing alright (at the very least).

We know there's limited time available for coaches to work on stuff on the training ground. There could be such a thing as too much focus on set pieces... Us doing as well or better than other teams in this regard seems pretty solid to me. Some teams probably do spend more time than us working on set pieces (looking at you Pulis and Allardyce). But that probably has something to do with the potential for improvement they have in other areas. Working on intricate passing and off the ball final third movement against bus parking teams will not give them much improvement with the players they have. For us we have a lot of other areas of focus that can pay off, potentially over and above the improvement we can get from improving our set pieces.

Would you have guessed before the stat was posted that we were top in this regard?

We're up there with the other top teams that should also (following your logic) get a lot of set pieces... Surely that points towards us doing alright (at the very least).

We know there's limited time available for coaches to work on stuff on the training ground. There could be such a thing as too much focus on set pieces... Us doing as well or better than other teams in this regard seems pretty solid to me. Some teams probably do spend more time than us working on set pieces (looking at you Pulis and Allardyce). But that probably has something to do with the potential for improvement they have in other areas. Working on intricate passing and off the ball final third movement against bus parking teams will not give them much improvement with the players they have. For us we have a lot of other areas of focus that can pay off, potentially over and above the improvement we can get from improving our set pieces.

I don't get your logic. We have major problems still in breaking down teams that park the bus. One way to unlock the deadlock is to improve our conversion from dead ball situations. We get many free kicks and corners and if we can improve our conversion rate just a fraction this could make all the difference at the end of the season. Or are you happy with Eriksens delivery and don't think there is room for improvement?

I don't get your logic. We have major problems still in breaking down teams that park the bus. One way to unlock the deadlock is to improve our conversion from dead ball situations. We get many free kicks and corners and if we can improve our conversion rate just a fraction this could make all the difference at the end of the season. Or are you happy with Eriksens delivery and don't think there is room for improvement?

I think there is a diminishing return on investment as you get better and better. Going to take a lot more work to get from 8 goals to 10 goals than from 2 goals to 4 goals... As we're better or at the level of other top clubs it seems unrealistic to expect a huge change. Time on the training ground is limited, wouldn't want to see other areas of our play get less attention because of an undue focus on set pieces.

Not happy with Eriksen's deliveries for corners against Leicester. But I think some variation is likely and he's also taken excellent set pieces this season. I imagine most teams also have good days and bad days in terms of set piece delivery.

Even if our conversion rates drop us down a little lower on the standings we're still doing well from set pieces considering we're above the sides around us who should generally be posting similar set piece counts - You said you wanted Eriksen off of corners AND free kicks - is that something you are sticking to in light of the fact we're scoring more goals this way than any other team?

I'd liken that to wanting to drop the leader of the goal scoring charts because his goal to game ratio isn't as good as players further down the standings

I think that Eriksen needs a rest. And knowing that Leicester are bound to sit deep we need more threat from our attacking three. So im going to go with:

------------------Lloris------------------
Walker----Toby-----Verts----Rose
-----------Dier-------Dembele---------
--Lamela------Alli-------------Son-----
---------------Kane-----------------------

I think that Eriksen needs a rest. And knowing that Leicester are bound to sit deep we need more threat from our attacking three. So im going to go with:

------------------Lloris------------------
Walker----Toby-----Verts----Rose
-----------Dier-------Dembele---------
--Lamela------Alli-------------Son-----
---------------Kane-----------------------

I pretty much agree with that, though Davies seems to be getting the nod over Rose at the moment (I'd play Rose) and I think Poch will play Eriksen rather than Son.

I think this game is quite important - we've been waiting for Leicester to fade for a while and everyone expects them to do so. A win for us against them will start the questions over whether their bubble is bursting and put some pressure on them

Back