• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Superspur vs Leicester OMT: The Sequel ***

Against Leicester, defending a corner, our defender (Toby?) is blocked off and Wasilewski powers home a free header.

3 days later the same thing happens for Huth. This is not coincidence it is brilliant corner planning.

They will try it again in a week, we need to be ready for it AND do it back to them

Anyone think Dembele next to Dier offers us so much more than Carroll
Carroll was better in the last two EPL games: the amount of missplaced forward passes hugely decreased , clicked well with the rest of the team during counter attacks. He was also one of the best players on the pitch in 2nd half against Leicester in FA Cup but was (strangely) subbed off. Still I think his defensive actions are really week. He's lightweight, doesn't win many tackles without fouls and looks horrific in the air. Dembele ahead of him all day long, but Carroll should get playing time through subs and cups.

Last edited:
Against Leicester, defending a corner, our defender (Toby?) is blocked off and Wasilewski powers home a free header.

3 days later the same thing happens for Huth. This is not coincidence it is brilliant corner planning.

They will try it again in a week, we need to be ready for it AND do it back to them

If you can get opposition teammates to knock each other over in the box that is indeed brilliant, it must be some kind of Jedi mind control

I am not saying that our defending at corners is great but I do think that Huth's goal was just a very good finish. From that distance to get the ball over the man on the line you would probably say was unlikely 9 times out of 10. But if that is zonal marking you would probably accept the risk from someone that far out?

Did Poch mention him being a backup no.9? I don't recall that being the case - he said he (as well as N'jie) can cover in attack. This obsession with one type of forward player doesn't seem to effect the manager as much as our supporters
How do you know if your last sentence is true Bill? Poch is hardly going to come out Redknapp style and say we are desperate for a forward who can play the lone striker role. But the fact we were in for berahino at the end of the last window when we had both Son and Njie signed up suggests he is looking for someone for that role.

I'm not being pedantic.

Milo summed it up with a striker Poch fancies, which I think is more than fair. But there are quite a few criteria this should include:

-Value for money.
-Available
-Fit our system.
-Good enough (significantly better than Son who you claim is not an out and out centre forward).
-Better than the other alternatives, and if we're going to sign him in January, not significantly worse than someone we could get in the summer.
-Able to make an immediate impact, again if we're going to sign him this January because we need someone now.

This to me does not read as "someone in world football available that fits Poch's profile". That to me is too simplistic and a bit of a straw man argument at this point.

Clubs with a lot more money than us have struggled to find strikers to cover for their superstars spending tons of money in the process. Every signing will be a gamble. If the gamble is worthwhile on any individual player - I trust the transfer team. And if their decision now is that the right player isn't available this January I think that's a conclusion worth supporting.
I think you are putting words in Milo's mouth brain. We will have to agree to disagree on this point. As you said in an earlier post if I have concerns about our transfer policy then I should voice them.

It's quite comical the way we conceded the corner and then the goal but overall I were pleased with the efforts of our players. But in tight games and we've been involved in few this season, as much as I love Poch and the players, I do feel we should add variations to our game during the 90 minutes.

Yesterday we had 16 corners and in something like 14 of them, we had Kane standing next to their goalkeeper. Why for example, not have Carroll doing that job and have Kane around their penalty spot for some of them?

Then there's the question of substitutions and formations. Is it only like for like? Are we proactive enough from the bench in looking for ways to win these tight games? Were it not worth a try in putting Rose out on the left wing in front of Davies, to double up against their struggling full-back?

Despite a good defence, we've drawn to many games and our three defeats have been of the narrowest. The players and the manager can do better, but it's not always more sweat that's required, it's more to do with nous.

Keep the faith, it'll come.

How do you know if your last sentence is true Bill? Poch is hardly going to come out Redknapp style and say we are desperate for a forward who can play the lone striker role. But the fact we were in for berahino at the end of the last window when we had both Son and Njie signed up suggests he is looking for someone for that role.

Reading it back that isn't quite what I meant - what I meant is I don't think we're heading towards Kane + a Kane lite as backup I think we'll end up with two contrasting forwards, capable of playing together or in different roles or instead of one another - I don't think there's anything to suggest Poch wants a backup just to make do like some are in favor of - in fact there's probably a fair bit over this last 18 months which would suggest the opposite and I think we can take those quotes about Son and N'jie being able to cover CF as well as our clear interest in signing Berahino in the summer as a sign that he'd rather wait for the right player and use what's available in the squad than just buy a backup Cf that has no use other than to be back up

We need to get hold of their machine that makes our players block each other off at corners. Then we would score more from corners. And on a serious note, against a team like Leicester, stick a man on each damn post!

Its what we take from that game that matters now. If you're 19, 22, 23 or 43 what does a game like that teach you? We need to bottle the pain, and what we learnt, and use it for following games. Make sure the team don't return to the dressing room with that feeling again. We've been taking steps forward, yesterday was one back. If we learn from it, it is better than the endless draws.

I want to double like this post. I am still tinkled of about the comical Dier/Alder clash that left that lump Huth with a free header, but it is exactly these sort of games that provide Poch and his staff with the ammo they need to fire us to a stronger mentality and better results. Onwards and upwards, and COYS!!

We need to get hold of their machine that makes our players block each other off at corners. Then we would score more from corners. And on a serious note, against a team like Leicester, stick a man on each damn post!

there was a man on the post (Davies?), it was such a spawny header (his eyes were closed and it came off his nose) it looped right over him

And Davies got in Hugo's way from the angle I seen it from, it was s microcosm of Leicesters season, decent corner, someone slips they have a shot it goes in.

OK fair point galeforce bedford 90210... Jedi mind tricks :)
Maybe Morgan and Huth did some clever spin/move which left Toby barrelling into Dier...
Or maybe Toby just lost Morgan by 10 yards, I haven't seen the whole action properly.

Toby possibly took out the man who was marking Huth in Dier

It happens and we move on

Back