• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Superspur vs Leicester OMT: The Sequel ***

Its what we take from that game that matters now. If you're 19, 22, 23 or 43 what does a game like that teach you? We need to bottle the pain, and what we learnt, and use it for following games. Make sure the team don't return to the dressing room with that feeling again. We've been taking steps forward, yesterday was one back. If we learn from it, it is better than the endless draws.

Its what we take from that game that matters now. If you're 19, 22, 23 or 43 what does a game like that teach you? We need to bottle the pain, and what we learnt, and use it for following games. Make sure the team don't return to the dressing room with that feeling again. We've been taking steps forward, yesterday was one back. If we learn from it, it is better than the endless draws.

The result was disappointing. Some of the individual errors were disappointing. The performance overall was fine. We were clearly the better team, created more and better chances and were unlucky not to win - even more unlucky to lose.

But those games happen in football. In a season it will happen for most teams several times. I agree that it's a learning experience for the team, I think they will be mentally strong enough to deal with it.

Did Verts have a chance at all? i can't remember the last time i see him win an attacking header let alone score a goal.

Frankly, I never like it whenever our defenders join in attack. I would prefer them to fully concentrate in defence and avoid the kind of mistakes that give our opponents easy goals.

Did Verts have a chance at all? i can't remember the last time i see him win an attacking header let alone score a goal.

He's not the strongest in the air. Actually quite a few times I've seen him not even go up for a corner which to me seems like a fine decision.

While he's not great at outright winning headers the way you often have to to be a threat in the air for set pieces he's rather good at not outright losing headers and putting opponents under pressure so that they don't get a clean header on target in our own box.

Edit: Just to add to that. One of the reasons not sending him up for a set piece seems fine to me is that he's one of our best defenders in one against one situations with the ball on the ground. Keeping him back, like keeping a full back at the back for a set piece, has real value.

I don't follow your logic here. What if there is not an available striker that Poch fancies?
They have had months to address this, it not something that has happened overnight. It cannot be that there is not at least one striker in world football either on loan or on a permanent deal who does not fit Poch's profile. To use a business analogy, a gap in the market has unexpectedly opened up this season which we could exploit. Any company that fails to address a glaringly obvious potential weakness deserves to fail imo.

I was watching on a s.tream tonight, and at half-time, they showed the average formation of the players in the first half.

Lamela, Eriksen, Alli and Kane were all very narrow and Lamela was the furthest forward out of everyone, with Kane in the position of 2nd striker/number 10/whatever you want to call it.

I can't help but think we might be better served with only one of Eriksen/Lamela in the team and a more natural goalscorer taking the other spot. IMO, the furthest player forward needs to know where the goal is.

This kind of average formation paints a distorted picture when players interchange as much as our 3 attacking midfielders do. If a player completely hugged the right side touchline for 22.5 minutes then switched sides and hugged the other touchline for 22.5 minutes the "average formation" would put him dead centre I believe...

Of course none of our players hug either touchline for extended periods of time. But interchanging between the right side, central position and left hand side with Kane sometimes dropping deeper or wide with midfielders making runs beyond him while at some times coming deeper to interchange with a central midfielder means that looking at an average becomes pretty much pointless.

Did we have a lack of width yesterday? I didn't think so. We found our full backs well in attacking positions and our attacking midfielders stayed wide (or made runs wide) enough to make that happen.

Eriksen (in the PL), Lamela (Serie A) and Alli (for us this season and League One) are capable of racking up goals from those attacking midfield spots. Lamela is the only one still not showing that fully in the PL, but I think there's a good chance it's coming. This was the first time I've seen Lamela as the one furthest forward on one of those average position maps, think it's probably somewhat coincidental. Alli seems to be the one that gets that most often, and that makes sense as he's a good goalscorer it seems.

They have had months to address this, it not something that has happened overnight. It cannot be that there is not at least one striker in world football either on loan or on a permanent deal who does not fit Poch's profile. To use a business analogy, a gap in the market has unexpectedly opened up this season which we could exploit. Any company that fails to address a glaringly obvious potential weakness deserves to fail imo.

That's not really what's being argued...

Also. Son.

Interesting observation; why do you think this is happening? It smacks of players (or at least Eriksen) not having confidence in Carrol getting them the ball in those spaces - which is most odd as he is commonly the player that can...or is there a worry Carrol will get bullied deep and lose the ball?

Agreed, fine margins indeed and fair play to Leicester for the way they set-up. Imo it is up to US to not get suckered into conceding from late set-pieces in games like this...was very Redknapp vs Manure in that regard today...

I think eriksen's form has nothing to do with carroll. Carroll has had a couple of bad games and about 4 good/very good ones. Eriskens lacklustre displays have rumbled on since feb last year.

No I am sorry - the 'magic' that Leicester had early season was gone and we played into their hands all game. We had some decent chances but what happened was so obvious it was untrue (thought we would get done on the break).

We are and were a better side than them that gifted them a win. I said I was worried as soon as I saw the team sheet.

The game passed carroll by and he should have been taken off earlier. We did not keep the ball well enough in good areas and mostly we had flashes and half chances (bar kanes opp)

We clipped hopeful balls through and looked vulnerable on the break. No one ran in behind kane enough and both centre halves gobbled him. Danny Simpson is an average right back and Marhez let us have the freedom of the left yet we did not double up on him once or get in behind him at all. Davies put a couple of nice balls in for lamela and walker hit a nice one but for the most part our delivery was not good enough and they lapped us up.

Walker was really bad tonight and that was a home game against the hardest side we will be up against for a while and we don't pick our strongest available side. Shame really as I can see us fade badly and it isn't even feb yet. Pretty fuming allround

Eh?? What do you mean here? Who wasn't picked that was available and should have been??

That's not really what's being argued...

Also. Son.
From what I have seen so far Son is not cover for Kane. He can play alongside Kane but not as a lone striker. He is not an out and out centre forward. We use Son as cover then be prepared for failure. Given the time we have taken to look there must be a striker in world foot ball available (if you are going to be pedantic) who could fit Poch's profile.

Well that was worth resting players in the Cup foe. Hope we put a full side out next Wednesday. This club is about the glory and I'm sick of seeing the Goons win the FA Cup whilst we put everything into finishing 4th only to fall short. Winning breeds confidence. And our club has great history in the FA Cup, it's one trophy we actually led the way in back in 1991 and now we throw it. Can't stand this Champions League obsession even though I know unfortunately its the way football is these days and to compete with the best we have to be in it.
I definitely dont think I enjoy football as much as I did growing up in the 90's even though we were largely rubbish, the two cup wins and especially the 3-1 Semi v Arsenal are some of the best moments of my years supporting Spurs. It doesn't have that magic now, how can it when the game is totally ruled by money.

Eh?? What do you mean here? Who wasn't picked that was available and should have been??

Dembele was deemed fit by Poch so should have started above Carroll. Games like last night he is brave on the ball and helps us keep it better higher up the pitch. He also protects us better when we haven't got it.

There is an argument for Nabil to start against a team who will sit deep and look to counter attack with power and pace. I understand that Poch makes it a challenge for players to win back their shirt but by now I would have hoped that he would had more opportunities and I think last night was a good one.

Rose would have isolated Simpson better and we could have got in behind their weak right side and his pace is also useful against Mahrez. In general he is the better option for home games like these (regardless of my opinion that he is better al round option)

Also I feared Erisken would play left, luckily he didn't and Lamela put in a great shift, as did Alli.

From what I have seen so far Son is not cover for Kane. He can play alongside Kane but not as a lone striker. He is not an out and out centre forward. We use Son as cover then be prepared for failure. Given the time we have taken to look there must be a striker in world foot ball available (if you are going to be pedantic) who could fit Poch's profile.

But the website listed him as a striker on Aug 31st so doesn't that mean that he is and Poch was completely happy with him as our back up 9?

No excuses for that loss, we had 16 fecking corners and how many times did we test the keeper from them? Lamela and Kane both missed guilt edge chances and if it wasn't for Lloris our defensive record would not be as good as it is.
A couple of weeks ago we were top of the league in terms of scoring from set pieces (maybe still are?). Can you name the last manager and spurs team which were capable of doing it? I can't (however I support Spurs not for so long).
I don't say we have no problems with set pieces now. We have some and mainly it's because of Eriksen's delivery, which has regressed during the season, and the fact that opponents learned how we act on corners. Still we could score on two occasions yesterday (at least which I remember): after Toby's header in the beginning of the game and Eriksen's shot. I mean that our missed chances from corners yesterday isn't the main problem.

What worries me much more:
1. Toby's similar mistakes in the last two games in aireals. I can't understand why they're happenning, maybe it's because of lack of concentration.
2. We concede too many goals in the last 20 minutes during the season. Either it's physical fatique because of our high tempo pressing or again, lack of concentration plus some mentality problems of the young squad. Poch should try to sort it out ASAP.
3. Kane's overall play. Yes, he offers some good things to the build-up play, has good vision and at least one 100% goal scoring opportunity in each game which is, sadly, usually denied by the keeper or post, but I think everybody sees that his movement declined, he's not so tough when covering the ball as he used to be during 2nd part of last season, he often slows our pacy counter attacks or looses the ball in rather easy situations. I blame his physical conditions and the fact that we still haven't bought a fcking cover for him. I know Poch thinks (or at least says) that he's happy with the squad and we have Son/Njie who can play up top, but actually it's far from reality. They are not clear centre forwards and lack some skills for it. We also struggle badly with scoring against top teams this season because we don't have a direct attacking option from the bench which is capable of scoring on at least semi-regular basis. Also we miss Eriksen's goals from last season which used to bring us some points.

I also don't get people's self-consolation arguments that we have a very young unexperienced squad and they already overperfom, we lost at home to a mighty Leicester and it's ok, still we're fourth and have an enormous 5 point advantage from 9th place. Get a grip. That is the weekest EPL for many-many years and ALL EPL recognized leaders (maybe except Arsenal and still it's disputable) are perfoming below expectations. Leicester is a team which is half full of below than average players, their game plan is pretty simple and still they're sitting joint top. Our squad can become even more unexperienced/week next season if we fail to reach CL position this season, because there is strong probability the likes of Lloris, Vertonghen will decide to move forward. This looks like a never ending circle. Season after season we're given the chance to return to the CL and become stronger as a team and a football brand but we fail to do it. Yes, sometimes we're victims of pure unluck but when you can make some actions to overcome it and make next step and still don't do it, it's pitty to see.

Dear Mr. Levy. Please overpay, but buy a striker as an alternative to Kane or as 2nd striker who will suit Poch's vision of play or everything good he has done to our club and the style of our play will not result in club's overall progress. I really fear we're on the edge of struggling and one injury off from totally being fcked.

Last edited:

I'm not being pedantic.

Milo summed it up with a striker Poch fancies, which I think is more than fair. But there are quite a few criteria this should include:

-Value for money.
-Available
-Fit our system.
-Good enough (significantly better than Son who you claim is not an out and out centre forward).
-Better than the other alternatives, and if we're going to sign him in January, not significantly worse than someone we could get in the summer.
-Able to make an immediate impact, again if we're going to sign him this January because we need someone now.

This to me does not read as "someone in world football available that fits Poch's profile". That to me is too simplistic and a bit of a straw man argument at this point.

Clubs with a lot more money than us have struggled to find strikers to cover for their superstars spending tons of money in the process. Every signing will be a gamble. If the gamble is worthwhile on any individual player - I trust the transfer team. And if their decision now is that the right player isn't available this January I think that's a conclusion worth supporting.

But the website listed him as a striker on Aug 31st so doesn't that mean that he is and Poch was completely happy with him as our back up 9?

Did Poch mention him being a backup no.9? I don't recall that being the case - he said he (as well as N'jie) can cover in attack. This obsession with one type of forward player doesn't seem to effect the manager as much as our supporters

Dembele was deemed fit by Poch so should have started above Carroll. Games like last night he is brave on the ball and helps us keep it better higher up the pitch. He also protects us better when we haven't got it.

There is an argument for Nabil to start against a team who will sit deep and look to counter attack with power and pace. I understand that Poch makes it a challenge for players to win back their shirt but by now I would have hoped that he would had more opportunities and I think last night was a good one.

Rose would have isolated Simpson better and we could have got in behind their weak right side and his pace is also useful against Mahrez. In general he is the better option for home games like these (regardless of my opinion that he is better al round option)

Also I feared Erisken would play left, luckily he didn't and Lamela put in a great shift, as did Alli.

Interesting points. I suspect Poch is easing in Dembele back from injury, and we have to be fair and note we were not losing when he came on.
Perhaps a fair point re Danny Rose, but he played Sunday and Davies has looked good defensively recently.
Out of interest who would Nabil have started in place of? I assume you would have started Dembele instead of Carrol..

Back