• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thought AVB was learning from his mistakes? Not saying Thudd is as important to us as Lampard is for Chelsea but why allow the media to make comparisons by completely alienating one of your players??

I'm not sure anyone 'allows' the media to say anything.

The thing with a free press is that they say whatever they want.

I like both Huddlestone and Dawson, but weirdly enough this feels like good news to me. It means AVB is allowed to mould the squad after his liking and it's better to get rid off their wage bills if they aren't part of his plans anyways, might open up cash for us to bring in someone he rates.
And seriously would Dawson be okey as a fifth choice in central defence? I doubt it, Kaboul, Gallas, Vertonghen and Caulker is more than plenty, just because we've had injury prone defenders in the past doesn't mean we can stockpile top class cb's. More opportunities for Caulker to get playing time, that's a positive.
The midfield tho feels a bit thin, and if Jenas is going out as well there must be some incomings. But I'm sure things will turn out fine

Not sure you can say that for sure. Hudd has been out a long time. If its a loan, it's for experience/ development / fitness...still a Spur.

Do you believe that? He can build up fitness with behind closed door matches. Besides, it's been suggested he has been looking sharp in pre season.

I am Huddlestones biggest fan but the boy hasn't been fit for two years. He was never the quickest and probably needs to play regularly to get himself ready to play for Tottenham again. Loan him out,see how he gets on, no harm done.

Hudd to be loaned out according to the Guardian who also suggest Dawson is to be made available for transfer.

I notice Dawson i sour slowest central defender while Hudd is our slowest midfielder, coincidence or not?

I like both players, just that I would not have Dawson in my starting line up. I find it surprising to believe AVB wants Dawson out considering a couple of weeks ago while in the US and talking about a potential captain he said he said of Dawson:

"There are people who represent Tottenham's past tradition and high values and that person without a doubt is Dawson.

"But it's almost more up to the group to decide than the manager. It's a difficult and sensible decision to make and I'll be consulting Ledley and Michael on it.
"There's different types of characters in the dressing room. But it will affect everybody in the dressing room who have empathy with the man going to lead them on the pitch."

I notice Dawson i sour slowest central defender while Hudd is our slowest midfielder, coincidence or not?

I like both players, just that I would not have Dawson in my starting line up. I find it surprising to believe AVB wants Dawson out considering a couple of weeks ago while in the US and talking about a potential captain he said he said of Dawson:

"There are people who represent Tottenham's past tradition and high values and that person without a doubt is Dawson.

"But it's almost more up to the group to decide than the manager. It's a difficult and sensible decision to make and I'll be consulting Ledley and Michael on it.
"There's different types of characters in the dressing room. But it will affect everybody in the dressing room who have empathy with the man going to lead them on the pitch."

I agree with your first observation, (that no coincidence) but not sure what to make of the second aspect. Certainly reading AVB's comments it would seem very odd, but he may have been talking about club captain, rather than team captain? Or he may just have been answering a question at an early stage of his preparations as manager? Maybe the Guardian article itself addresses the issue you raise:

"Villas-Boas had used Dawson as the club captain during pre-season but Gallas, who was selected alongside Kaboul at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, wore the armband and there was resonance to Villas-Boas's words from last Thursday when he said that he would not name the club captain until towards the end of the transfer window, when "we will have a better idea of the players that stay with us and come in."

Last edited:
Thought AVB was learning from his mistakes? Not saying Thudd is as important to us as Lampard is for Chelsea but why allow the media to make comparisons by completely alienating one of your players??

AVB plays a tactical system requiring pace. It would be much more of a mistake for him to keep them around, or even play them, and watch Dawson get undone by high balls over the top constantly and Huddlestone leaving massive gaps in midfield because he can't press quick enough.

I know people have their favourite players - I used to massively rate Huddlestone - but this is a good move. AVB needs to have a squad in his image. He knows what he needs and he sees the players everyday. He knows exactly what Huddlestone can do and has decided that it isn't quite enough.

I posted the link with Jenas and Rose going on loan to Sunderland.

Correct me if im wrong; but isnt there a rule that a PL-club cant loan 2 players from the same PL-club? :-k

I posted the link with Jenas and Rose going on loan to Sunderland.

Correct me if im wrong; but isnt there a rule that a PL-club cant loan 2 players from the same PL-club? :-k

Does it say anywhere in the article that they are loans? I may have missed it but I couldn't see it after checking.

What price loyalty?

For the time being, Dawson will be trusted with the armband as Tottenham start their campaign at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He has got to know Villas-Boas as well as anybody in the dressing room, having reported for training a week early to get back to fitness after injury robbed him of the final two months of the season.

Already he has spotted one significant difference between the two regimes. “They have different styles,” he said. “Pre-season, you are normally out running fields and things like that, but the new gaffer has had the ball out from day one and done all his work with the ball.
“He certainly gets involved. He is enthusiastic, you see that from the way he is on the touchline. I was back a week early, so I saw the gaffer when he first got the job. I hadn’t heard too much about him and each manager or player I take as I meet.
“He came in and sat down and spoke to me and he has been great. Does he have a point to prove? He will want to come in and do well, the same as any manager.”

Dawson said: “He came in and set his standards high. As players, we always do that anyway. Every game you know you want to win.
“What he has brought is that he wants to win trophies. You go into the start of the season and you always hope you can do that.
“There are lots of teams in the title race with a great shout. Emirates Marketing Project, Manchester United, ourselves, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea.
“And yes, of course I put ourselves in that bracket. We set our sights high. Last year, to finish fourth and miss out on the Champions League because Chelsea won it left everyone devastated.
“You work hard all season and maybe don’t deserve to miss out in the way we did. But that is football and we are certainly hungry again and we look forward to it.”
From the above Dawson probably did not think he would be made available for transfer. If true, I guess we cannot complain when players like Berbatov, Modric or Bale or any of our top players want to leave if a player like Dawson who is clearly passionate about Spurs is told he is no longer wanted at this club.

Last edited:
that would be riquelme that dominated midfields, built around around him because of his many deficiencies actually, in spain.....argentina....in CL.....was nominated for world player of the year......and performed well for his country who were one of the best nations in the world playing on a big stage.

nah am pretty sure he had many occasions to show how good he was and he did , which is why he was acknowledged as a great player

you know marketing, TV and advertising also has alot to do with who is recognised as great too. it weird i know but i believe thats how it is..exposure in these big contests add to it.

riquelme IMO was a great talent with lots of flaws and lots of potential who definately shone in periods for different teams playing particular systems. yes he was a great player but under the right settings...which is why the jury is out on him and his career

IMO

Most top players tend to have their team built around them to be honest. Its probably a topic for another thread but what makes a great player. Take Sneidjer for instance, many said he should have been world player of the year when Inter won the Cl and he has performed OK since and before then but perhaps not at an outstanding level and he has the team built around him. If he had won does that make him a great player? Should a great player be able to thrive in all conditions e.g. Veron an absolute beast before he joined Man U, same with Scheva. Can they not be great players because they only did it in one league and system or must you consistently perform at the top across all systems for say 5/6 years.

Last edited:
What price loyalty?

From the above Dawson probably did not think he would be made available for transfer. If true, I guess we cannot complain the players like Berbatov, Modric or Bale or any of our top players want to leave if a player like Dawson who is clearly passionate about Spurs is told he is no longer wanted at this club.

At the moment I'd take everything with a pinch of salt. Dawson is a great guy, but if he has discussed with the manager where he may fit they may have had an entirely reasonable discussion which lead to a a decision to make him available in case a good offer comes up. But the only thing I can say for sure is that I am completely confused right now. Really need this window shut and done with.

Does it say anywhere in the article that they are loans? I may have missed it but I couldn't see it after checking.

Reading the article again, I think Guardian has changed it!

Im absolutely sure it said loans in the first edition

But what the hell - It would be even better to get rid of Jenas permanently instead of a loan :lol:

I think Riquelme was born in the wrong generation, if he playing in the 70s or even 80s, we'd of been talking about a world great in my honest opinion

Back