• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Arcspace after last season it's clear Dembele thrives in a deeper CM role. He was brilliant last season playing that role and Jol converting him into a central midfielder was one of the best things he's ever done.

Oh and i'm delighted Nayim has picked up on Dembele being a good tackler. I've cringed when countless posters described him as not being able to tackle on here.

I said he should play as an attacking midfielder - not a target man

VdV for example is involved in 'many' attacking moves per game

I am well aware of that and havent suggested as much.

VDV is responsible for a fair portion of our goals. Many a time have we relied on him scoring to get points. I wouldnt be at all as confident in Dembele doing so as I am VDV.

What are you basing your opinion that he was forced into that position on?

Unlike Sturrdige, he seems happy enough to play there and in addition to that he has been getting good reviews playing there and playing there seems to fit his skill set quite well.

On the fact Dempsey (who does a very good job there) is already assuming the more advanced role and the fact his better games have been in an attacking role from what I have seen. In addition - I can uderstand Jol's dilemma and what he's attempting to do - but the automatic assumption following from that in addition to the Modric comparison / direct replacement parallels are somwhat surprising considering he is not a natural playmaker nor does he have the 'vision', imv to ever be one. He's a player who likes to have the ball at his feet, take on players and take shots - Modric's replacement should be able to control the tempo and boast considerable passing versatility (Moutinho could, imv) - something I don't think Demebele does beyond the fancy tricks (which are impressive, btw)

Arcspace after last season it's clear Dembele thrives in a deeper CM role. He was brilliant last season playing that role and Jol converting him into a central midfielder was one of the best things he's ever done.

Oh and i'm delighted Nayim has picked up on Dembele being a good tackler. I've cringed when countless posters described him as not being able to tackle on here.

To be honest its not something I picked up on, rather something I realised when I saw the stats

My referencing him ghosting past players is pointing to his dribbling skills. An attribute I have also noted in other posts.

Pace is neither here nor there, nice to have but not pre-requisite of either midfield or attacking roles.

IMO the way he moves and the way he operates in midfield is VERY similar to Modric. I ask again, should we promote Modric to the "VDV" role?

You see Jol FORCING him into a position. I see Jol UTILISING him to his best ability (which is in fact the optimum thing to do with any player). Dembele has had chances in attacking areas and never looked as complete as he does at CM IMO.

Ive seen him in attacking positions. Looks fantastic until it comes to actually producing, at which time he becomes a point of failure for the team (loss of possession, no goal, ball out of play...) Yet in CM his runnign and passing abilities set up the likes of Dempsey with personal best goalscoring seasons.

The whole Sturridge thing is a straw man. I am well aware he is a striker. I saw him at City and I saw him at Bolton and can see perfectly well the right wing/wing forward position isnt ideal for him. However, he still did a very decent job in that position.

I couldn't possible describe to you how much I disagree with some of the above points - Demeble is not a playmaker (assuming that is what he'd utlisied as in Modric's position), imv and never will be - nor would he be utlisied to his optimum ability in that position. He's an attacking player with great dribbling skills who has been deployed further back and told to support the forward line. He is Hulk playing the middle of the park - his DNA is pre-defined and all the tweaking in the world could never produce the player Modric is for us (in his role)

As for strawman - look at your Modric/VdV suggestion - is that an actual question and if so - what is the relevance? Do you see Dembele for example assuming Xavi's role in the Spanish team or Fabregas'?

I couldn't possible describe to you how much I disagree with some of the above points - Demeble is not a playmaker (assuming that is what he'd utlisied as in Modric's position), imv and never will be - nor would he be utlisied to his optimum ability in that position. He's an attacking player with great dribbling skills who has been deployed further back and told to support the forward line. He is Hulk playing the middle of the park - his DNA is pre-defined and all the tweaking in the world could never produce the player Modric is for us (in his role)

As for strawman - look at your Modric/VdV suggestion - is that an actual question and if so - what is the relevance? Do you see Dembele for example assuming Xavi's role in the Spanish team or Fabregas'?

The relevance is that I see some direct comparison between Modric and Dembele, and you wish to use Dembele in the VDV position. To illustrate my point I ask whether or not you would use Modric in the VDV position. Simple really.

I could just as easily say how strongly I disagree with your points on the player. I will refrain in order to save the thread from the inevitable degeneration.

Shall we just leave it be?

I see no relevance between him and Modric so - no, I wouldn't want to utilise him in the VdV role. o_o

Actually I hope he leaves for a bigger club (has the ability) and truly showcases his talent as a skillful attacking player

The article posted earlier suggesting we are letting 5-6 players go today is remarkably similar to POTL's ITK from yesterday. The blind leading the blind?

Dembele is a very good dribbler, but he's never really been prolific enough to justify playing off the front man like VdV or Sigurdsson.

Jol has recognised this and he's now playing in a position where he can be more effective and utilise his attributes (decent passing, movement and tenacity).

Dembele is a very good dribbler, but he's never really been prolific enough to justify playing off the front man like VdV or Sigurdsson.

Yes, because they have Dempsey in that very position who is the better player (in that spot) while Dembele is too valuable/skilled to drop all together - hence make/do

Back