• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd take ?ú8m for him but would have a large sell on clause on his contract, something like we get 25-30%.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand this at all. The only reason a large sell-on clause would be worthwhile is if he does very well at Liverpool and becomes a great player worth a lot of money. But if that happens then we've clearly strengthened a direct rival and weakened ourselves. Unless the possibility of money in the bank at some unspecified future date is worth more than league position, then I just don't see what you're getting at.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't understand this at all. The only reason a large sell-on clause would be worthwhile is if he does very well at Liverpool and becomes a great player worth a lot of money. But if that happens then we've clearly strengthened a direct rival and weakened ourselves. Unless the possibility of money in the bank at some unspecified future date is worth more than league position, then I just don't see what you're getting at.

I have thought of that you know. Right now he is an average defender. He is young and may well improve. On the other hand of your what if's is that he may go to Liverpool and be nothing more than what he is now, he may spend more time on the bench than playing and we have got a nice ?ú8m in the bank. The risk is, we dont know how he will turn out, no-one does so if the ?ú8m is too tempting to turn down, we add the clause in just incase.

I'm sorry have I missed something? In a world where Jordon Henderson is bought by Liverpool for 20m, a few people would be willing to accept 8m from the same club, for Caulker who had a better season than Henderson's last at Sunderland (let alone the brick he served up last year), is a couple of years younger and in a position where we have Gallas and King on the verge of retirement?!

I'm sorry have I missed something? In a world where Jordon Henderson is bought by Liverpool for 20m, a few people would be willing to accept 8m from the same club, for Caulker who had a better season than Henderson's last at Sunderland (let alone the brick he served up last year), is a couple of years younger and in a position where we have Gallas and King on the verge of retirement?!

Just keep him then.

Who is our back 2 for next season ? Caulker and Kaboul ?

I can't see Caulker going to Liverpool just to sit on the bench. He may aswell stay with us and do that.

Selling Caulker would be insane even more so to a direct rival.

We need players in that position and he's homegrown and by all accounts pretty good as well.

The going rate for English players to Liverpool is 20mil minimum, and 30mil if their name begins with a 'C'.

Rule number 1: DO NOT strengthen your rivals.

I have thought of that you know. Right now he is an average defender. He is young and may well improve. On the other hand of your what if's is that he may go to Liverpool and be nothing more than what he is now, he may spend more time on the bench than playing and we have got a nice ?ú8m in the bank. The risk is, we dont know how he will turn out, no-one does so if the ?ú8m is too tempting to turn down, we add the clause in just incase.

I'll be honest with you, I haven't seen the lad play enough to know whether he's worth ?ú1m, ?ú8m or ?ú48m. No idea. He's been impressive enough in the couple of games I've watched him play, though clearly not quite the finished article just yet. However, a lot of people on this board seem to rate him very highly and given that we definitely need cover at centre-back*, I'd be reluctant to sell a player who may be the next Ledley King - especially to Liverpool who will be looking to push back into the top 4 at our expense over the next year or two. Yes, ?ú8m is a fair chunk of change, and maybe he'll never mature into a great defender and we'll be laughing all the way to the bank. But if he does turn out well, then I honestly don't see "a large sell on clause" being much comfort or compensation. That's all I'm saying.

* King and Gallas clearly have one more season in them, max (maybe not even that) and even with the possibility of Vertonghen arriving and the return of Dawson, it's not a position we have much depth in - a couple of injuries would return us to the bad old days of playing someone out of position as cover... not the best route to third or fourth in the premiership.

I would laugh at an ?ú8m bid for Caulker. Didn't Liverpool pay that for Coates? And that was from a smallish South American club that knew they had to sell him sooner or later, when he wanted to go there and he was completely unproven in the Premier League.

Young, home grown players with bags of potential should not be sold unless a ridiculous offer comes in.

paddypower
BREAKING: Report trickling in that #THFC have put in ?ú10m bid for #Saudi Sportswashing Machine keeper Tim Krul...

I can't see this one having legs either. Firstly would Saudi Sportswashing Machine even entertain an offer? Ôé¼10 mil seems a little light too even if they were willing to sell.

I can't see this one having legs either. Firstly would Saudi Sportswashing Machine even entertain an offer? €10 mil seems a little light too even if they were willing to sell.

never know, could have a release clause similar to Ba

Selling Caulker? My, oh my. The lad is terrifically talented. Strong, great in the air and good with the ball at his feet- a young, composed, talented centre-back. Ask any Swansea fan, they'll say the same about him.

And we're going to sell him for 8 million pounds? To Liverpool?

He has the potential to be one of the mainstays of our defence for years to come. If he doesn't turn out to be good, fine. We'll lose a couple million quid on the asking price. But the risk of him strengthening Liverpool is enormous, and if he helps them nudge us out of the top four, then we'll be counting losses of 30 million upwards.

Nah. Stupid idea. Won't happen. I hope.n[-o<

I can't see this one having legs either. Firstly would Saudi Sportswashing Machine even entertain an offer? €10 mil seems a little light too even if they were willing to sell.

I think he recently reaffirmed his happiness playing for Saudi Sportswashing Machine and categorically said he wasn't going anywhere. Plus, he only just signed a five-year deal, I believe.

Getting flashback to the time many wanted us to sell a young King to be able to afford an experienced defender.
Short term thinking. Just hope Harry Redknapp doesn't have much to say in our transfer dealings, I expect Levy to be wiser and have a wider picture in mind.

Getting flashback to the time many wanted us to sell a young King to be able to afford an experienced defender.
Short term thinking. Just hope Harry Redknapp doesn't have much to say in our transfer dealings, I expect Levy to be wiser and have a wider picture in mind.

IF the story is true, do you believe that Redknapp is the one who wants Caulker sold?

Smart money is on Redknapp leaving Tottenham sooner rather than later. -- The Football Man (@intheknow99)

Redknapp getting sacked again today? Blimey, the blokes had the sack more times than Jordan's chin. #coys -- ST (@RicheyRevol)

And in other news:

Caulker could be Rodgers first signing as Liverpool boss as they have made a 8 Million bid for our centre back according to @paddypower. -- Hotspur Related (@HotspurRelated)

Luka Modric` has refused to be drawn on speculation about a move to Manchester United via @epltransferlink. -- Hotspur Related (@HotspurRelated)

Many reports now stating we have put in a 10 Million pound bid for Saudi Sportswashing Machine keeper Tim Krul via @paddypower. -- Hotspur Related (@HotspurRelated)

Back