• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: 1060 pages and a striker, 1173 byebye Modric, Medical reports pg 1244

My personal worry is whether this sigurdsoon is the right man in the hole.

With Dembele in midfield I certainly think he is.

We seem to have a definite tactic of going wide before attacking the box - ideal for a midfielder who will make timed runs to meet crosses etc.

With Dembele we will also have someone who drives at the opposition and creates space, someone like Sigurdsson waiting in those areas to exploit it would really thrive.

I think when the system beds in those two will get on great and Siggurdsson will be a huge threat from our wing play

I would agree with this and fans get carried away. However, i think this debate hinges whether you belive ENIC are in it for the long haul. If you do, you share their hope of a beuatiful future and shiny new stadium. However, its no secret that the club has been for sale for 3 years...ENIC's price being too high (the irony)- so this may be rather inconsistent and this may be the real reason they wont spend to that level on one player (even though we have just sold one for more and many other sales) as they are not interested in the risk such an outlay on one player brings.

Where did you see we've been on sale for 3 years?

My guess is - Levy wants to make sure we have a solid financial foundation going into the FPP while at the same time keeping the stadium 'dream' attainable and more importantly - sustainable in terms of servicing the debt. We don't have flats to see like Arsenal plus the supermarket can only generate so much.

Moreover - AVB's appointment sent out a clear message of 'building' for the future and looking to continue our sustained ascend up the table.

You don't think he'd get in their team?! Interesting.

Of course he would - as a squad rotation player - much like 85% of their players. He's been doing it for years and seems to have won a thing or two ;)

Personally I think Parker would struggle to get into AVB's team - he is not his 'type' of player per se - i.e. direct, fast, athletic, good passing ability, etc. Could be wrong - time will tell

Judging by the little Ive seen so far we have a tactic of a midfielder dropping in to support the CBs while the FBs go marching up the pitch.

Sandro was in between Gallas and Vertonghen numerous times on saturday when we went effectively to a 343 in attack.

I think Parker is very capable of sitting, shielding, playing it simple - very much as Sandro did while we were on top on Saturday.

I dare say, in a midfield 3 where that is his only job and he doesnt have the option to get delusions of attacking adequacy he could well thrive

Of course he would - as a squad rotation player - much like 85% of their players. He's been doing it for years and seems to have won a thing or two ;)

I see - You're right he does rotate but I think he'd be used a hell of a lot more than most of their CMs, who is better than him currently? Carrick/Scholes/Cleverley/Anderson? Unless they haven't got money really do wonder why they aren't in for him - just like their own fans are questioning it now!

Judging by the little Ive seen so far we have a tactic of a midfielder dropping in to support the CBs while the FBs go marching up the pitch.

Sandro was in between Gallas and Vertonghen numerous times on saturday when we went effectively to a 343 in attack.

I think Parker is very capable of sitting, shielding, playing it simple - very much as Sandro did while we were on top on Saturday.

I dare say, in a midfield 3 where that is his only job and he doesnt have the option to get delusions of attacking adequacy he could well thrive

Everything you've descirbed above can be preformed by Sandro or Livermore - with the added bonus of the ability to cross the half-way, take a shot, or excute a pass longer than 5 yards and towards the opposition half. He's a semi-clogger, a very good one but not a position I see AVB relying upon when you can have best of both (DM + box-to-box) in Sandro or Livermore

Where did you see we've been on sale for 3 years?

My guess is - Levy wants to make sure we have a solid financial foundation going into the FPP while at the same time keeping the stadium 'dream' attainable and more importantly - sustainable in terms of servicing the debt. We don't have flats to see like Arsenal plus the supermarket can only generate so much.

Moreover - AVB's appointment sent out a clear message of 'building' for the future and looking to continue our sustained ascend up the table.

ok as I suggested -it would appear that you have bought into ENIC's long term plans. Given what I know (and have no wish to share on a forum- although most fans I know have heard this from other sources) I dont. we can all see the "messages" from the club its just how you ineterpret them (while being fleeced in the process).

I was merely making the point that depending on where you sit on this, in my opinion, it dictates on how you view the club's reluctatnce to spend bigger even when you have jjust sold a huge asset.

I see - You're right he does rotate but I think he'd be used a hell of a lot more than most of their CMs, who is better than him currently? Carrick/Scholes/Cleverley/Anderson? Unless they haven't got money really do wonder why they aren't in for him - just like their own fans are questioning it now!

Due to the sheer quality (and quantity) of his strikeforce - he'd most likely revert to his classic 4-4-1-1/2 for most the season

So - assuming either Carrick, Scholes or Anderson would take the defensive spot - he would have to challenge Cleverly or Kagawa or even Giggs for the remaining one.

ok as I suggested -it would appear that you have bought into ENIC's long term plans. Given what I know (and have no wish to share on a forum- although most fans I know have heard this from other sources) I dont. we can all see the "messages" from the club its just how you ineterpret them (while being fleeced in the process).

I was merely making the point that depending on where you sit on this, in my opinion, it dictates on how you view the club's reluctatnce to spend bigger even when you have jjust sold a huge asset.

Fair enough, mate

As for the last paragraph - my presumption is - everything is going into the piggy-bank for the NDP (hopefully!)

Think about what Siggy was like in front of Joe Allen. Now think about what Dempsey was like in front of Dembele. Food for thought.

With Dembele in midfield I certainly think he is.

We seem to have a definite tactic of going wide before attacking the box - ideal for a midfielder who will make timed runs to meet crosses etc.

With Dembele we will also have someone who drives at the opposition and creates space, someone like Sigurdsson waiting in those areas to exploit it would really thrive.

I think when the system beds in those two will get on great and Siggurdsson will be a huge threat from our wing play

we go wide because our most potent players are bale and lennon..and modric was no central threat like fabregas was for example......\I entirely agree that we need more threat through the middle...after all Livermore sandro and parker wont priovdie this...and I really like dembele BUT you havent really told me what this Sig offers...its a key massive osition to play behind the striker...VDV is a superbly gifted player with fantastic vision and lovely weight of pass but too slow in my opnion...sigurdsson looks rangey - anderton esque and atheltic and has a shot buit i think its just whether he has that guille...I just need to see more

Everything you've descirbed above can be preformed by Sandro or Livermore - with the added bonus of the ability to cross the half-way, take a shot, or excute a pass longer than 5 yards and towards the opposition half. He's a semi-clogger, a very good one but not a position I see AVB relying upon when you can have best of both (DM + box-to-box) in Sandro or Livermore

I didnt say they couldnt.

It seemed to me of the midfield 3 Sandro was almost exclusively sitting, until we lost our shape with the subs at least.

In AVBs initial set up, how he put the team out, Parker would have done Sandros job absolutely fine. Its the very specific and narrow role that Parker excels at.

Essentially, to counter your position that Parker will struggle to get into AVBs system, I disagree - I think he could excel in it.

I dont disagree that Sandro offers more besides. I dont disagree that Livermore can do the job (though genuinely dont see him as a DM).

As you've described it - he's very good at a something very limited

Whereas the other 2 are far more versatile and can perform this and 'more'

Only time will tell but injuries permitting - I don't think he'll make more than 20 odd appeareances this season

Am I the only one who thinks Walcott would be a very good RWF option should the others 'fail' to materialise

Or is he bound for City

Am I the only one who thinks Walcott would be a very good RWF option should the others 'fail' to materialise

Or is he bound for City

Let's not go there again ! ;-)

I think we did that around page 500 of this thread !

Back