• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In regards to Dawson, things move on. New mangers have their own ideas. Dawson was a typical Harry player - heart, passion and willingness. AVB, i assume, wants his defenders to play his way. That is probably a high line, good passing and able to bring the ball out from the back - a generally cultured centre half. The problem is, Dawson is not really that, how many times does he get slaughtered on here for 'hoofing the ball', christ, Brad gets it in the neck enough.

Look at Chelsea last season, IMHO Terry was their weakest link in defence mainly due to the fact he struggled to impliment the obvious instructions and style of play AVB had set out. I see man, many similarities between Terry and Dawson - they are both 'blockers', willing to put everything into stopping the shot but they both generally lack position sense, good passing and general footballing ability.

I think too often on this board we get a little bit nostalgic about our 'cult heroes'. Huddlestone is another example, AVB obviously wants his teams to press and generally be mobile across the pitch - Tommy, try as he might, is not that.

Unfortunately, although i think AVB is going to get some flack for getting rid of fan's favourites it is so HE can implement HIS OWN team and not simply manage someone else's. If we get anywhere near £9 for Dawson then fine by me.

Not fussed about Hudd to be honest mate or should I say not as fussed. Dawson on the other hand is harder including in the footballing sense. I'll admit I love his heart and his passion something which L'arse seem to lack for all their high quality players. Not just a Harry player led the line under Jol and Ramos. Very good and consistent player. shaky in Kaboul's first season but has been a rock since. Do those critisizing him not remember when he was the only centre halfplaying alongside Zokora. He has been immense before his serious injury.

He's on like 80k at City apparently. He wouldn't start here. He'd have to take a pay cut of at least 30k to be remotely feasible.

Can't see it happening without City funding yet another players wages, which they will be reluctant to do.

A friend of mine knows him, and he was told that he was on eighty grand at week at "City". He went to see Mancini/Marwood,as he wanted to know why he wasn't playing that often.He told Mancini that he need to play more often as he wanted to play for England, and the money side of things was not that much of a concern to him, he just wanted to Play football week in week out. Mancini/Marwood could not promise him a regular starting place.But aranged a meeting for him with 'Sheikh Mansour' to see if he could convince him to be just a squad player. He went to the meeting, and Sheikh Mansour increased his wages to 110,000 pound a week, to try and keep him happy.This was about five-six months ago i was told this. I take it he still wants out so thats why there is all this talk of a transfer away from city. The person who told me this had no reason to lie, or make it up.

£9m is good business for Dawson, no question. But personally I'd rather hold onto him if he'd be happy to compete for his place. Losing Dawson, now that Bassong is gone, leaves us with Kaboul, Gallas, Vertonghen and Caulker as recognised centre-backs. Caulker may have a great future ahead of him (and I really hope he does) but fact is; none of us know for certain that he's ready to step up to premiership level this season. On top of that, Gallas is now 35 years old. Again, I hope he has a great season for us, but he's just one serious knock away from retirement. Let's hope Vertonghen is the Next Big Thing for Spurs, but he's unproven in the premiership and might take a while to settle in.

So what happens if 15 minutes into our match against Norwich, the day after the transfer window shuts, Kaboul gets injured and is out for a few months? Do we really want a 35-year old, an unproven youngster and a premiership newbie to be our defensive unit for the first half of the season? Because that has the potential to go very wrong indeed. I just don't think 4 CBs is enough for a team challenging at the top of the premiership. Not if one of the four is a kid and another is 35 with a history of injuries.

Just look at what happened to United yesterday. With four of five CBs out they played Carrick as emergency CB, weakening the midfield. We potentially have Huddlestone (if he stays), Livermore and Sandro (and possibly Walker or Naughton?) as emergency CBs but is that where we want to be?

i dont believe i'm hearing this. This makes no sense to me at all. not even to the extent i want to reach for a compromise

i wonder, why didnt we send king off to some team for .....experience or healing or whatever you want to call it.

who says the games has to be with us? our coach who has an idea of what he needs and he who has it thats who. we need a playmaker brought into a game..oh no wait, we loaned out a returning fit player to another team so they can make use of his abilities when we may need it. Or we sent him out there not knowing how he can cope to a team we dont know what on earth is doing with him....thats how we look after our players and bring back players that we need who are valuable into the team...send them away.

the next time we get a lengthy injury to a valued first teamer we may need, i am just going to put it out there that people here think it is a good and perfectly logical and smart idea that we loan them out to another team so that we can assess them...in another city.

i think VDV, gallas, lennon and bale are overdue for some time out injruy....when that happens i think we should loan them out to a team to get fitness there with some potential hack or lesser staff that couldnt get a job at one of the best teams in the league (us)

after typing this out i see this is going nowhere , to actually argue about something i see almost no sense in.....this has got to prove that i'm insane :lol: ..... fill your boots nayim mate, it makes sense to you to loan out a first teamer after they come back from injury so you should stay the course and guard that corner.

*think we missed a trick with vidic and jovetic.... ;)

Mate, dont take it to heart!

Initially you asked why we would loan him, I said two things (why I cant find the post I have no idea, so paraphrasing...)

1) possibly to get him games
2) possibly because he just doesnt fit AVBs plans

You seem to have seized upon 1)!

My thinking is extremely simple. He is apparently fit. He has a recent history of breaking down each time he says he is fit. We *might* see sending him out on loan to test his fitness in competitive football as preferable to taking the risk ourselves.

If he works out, great - if he doesnt we havent taken the hit directly ourselves...

Not saying its the truth, a 100% bonafide and tight as a drum theory, just an idea in response to your initial query.

Not fussed about Hudd to be honest mate or should I say not as fussed. Dawson on the other hand is harder including in the footballing sense. I'll admit I love his heart and his passion something which L'arse seem to lack for all their high quality players. Not just a Harry player led the line under Jol and Ramos. Very good and consistent player. shaky in Kaboul's first season but has been a rock since. Do those critisizing him not remember when he was the only centre halfplaying alongside Zokora. He has been immense before his serious injury.

Not that many people are ciriticizing him. Most people, like me, are saying that he's our 5th choice CB who, at 28 years old, is at his peak so wont be getting any better and whose value will start to decline in a couple years. Therefore if we're offered £9m for him its probably a decent price which we wont be offered again for him and its a position where we're well covered

I like Daws but for £9m I'd be selling him

Good spot on Modric link. As for Willian not sure either, but I really like him as a player. Not a modric replacement though as such.

Is Willian the sort of player who would help us move to AVB's preferred 4-3-3 system? ie can he play in one of the front three positions?

Just look at what happened to United yesterday. With four of five CBs out they played Carrick as emergency CB, weakening the midfield. We potentially have Huddlestone (if he stays), Livermore and Sandro (and possibly Walker or Naughton?) as emergency CBs but is that where we want to be?

Again. 25 players in the squad!!!!!

How many times per season does a 5th choice CB play for any team? Once, maybe twice?

Is Willian the sort of player who would help us move to AVB's preferred 4-3-3 system? ie can he play in one of the front three positions?

From what I have seen he is fluid but can favour the left side (someone will correct me if I am wrong). I guess it depends what the deal about replacing Modric is? But yes, and very skilful.

From what I have seen he is fluid but can favour the left side (someone will correct me if I am wrong). I guess it depends what the deal about replacing Modric is? But yes, and very skilful.

So he's not a MOdric replacement....hmmmmm.....£20m for him then when we also do need a creative CM to replace Modders.....link is probably BS

Back