• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Strategy

Really just need someone who can produce the unexpected in the final third - genuine creativity which we don't have at the moment and what causes us to sometimes struggle to break teams down. Good summer though so far

I agree

I think our last piece of the current jigsaw us the curve ball player. Someone who so different and can do the unelected. Mahrez did that last season consistently and it win them plenty of games

We have some great players in those roles but they can be samey in that tweet all articulate footballers and players who are all in effect number 10s. We don't have a line hugging winger for example (and that May not be the answer ) but it's nice to have that option

I think it's just perception because of the amount of possession we have. We were the second highest scorers in the country last season.

We battered some sides and got over the line vs others

The issue is when we have those games against the stubborn sides who don't move or attack you need that variety. Hammering on doing the same thing that isn't working rarely changes the game. You need that variety and although we were second highest scorers we could have won even more points with some games that were draws - did we end up the highest draws?

Everyone struggles to break down teams which defend deep and compact - that's why it's a tactic used by so many.

Without looking too deeply in to it I'd say we probably fare better than most seeing as we scored so many goals and finished 3rd. When I think back at which games we dropped points in I'm not sure it was against teams defending deep - it was when we were already in front and our opponents threw caution to the wind in search of an equaliser

Yeah - it happens to all good teams. It's why the Euros were so dreary. Too many excellently ordered defences. The flair players of old were nowhere to be seen. Even Bale and Ronaldo struggled.

Everyone struggles to break down teams which defend deep and compact - that's why it's a tactic used by so many.

Without looking too deeply in to it I'd say we probably fare better than most seeing as we scored so many goals and finished 3rd. When I think back at which games we dropped points in I'm not sure it was against teams defending deep - it was when we were already in front and our opponents threw caution to the wind in search of an equaliser

that is true but imagine bringing on a curve ball sub rather than a like for like player (just with fresh legs)

It gives the opposition something to think about. InvaribKy it's how teams get back in the games against us

Arse did it by bringing in Gibbs at their ground as we didn't knew how to adapt to him and despite his limitations he scored

Saudi Sportswashing Machine did it too at the lane and the players brought on changed the game

Don't get me wrong we had some examples too but it's actually having that player who either improved the first 11 or you can bring on and changes the game even more positively. Someone like Mahrez with tricks and pace would out the opposition back on the back foot (of they had a hold on the game) or can produce a but of magic. I'm not saying we dont have players that can do the magic but they all fit the formula currently and that formula has helped us progress quickly, but the odd mix isn't gonna hurt

Yep 2 CMs, an AM and a Striker

Wanyama, Tielemans, Batushayi and Denis Suarez

I really don't care about names to be honest as long as they fit the profile that Pochettino wants

Really hope we can still get Tielemans. Read on twitter he is possibly available at around £12.5m-£15m. Was so highly rated, keen to know why he's dropped off a lot of clubs radars.

Really hope we can still get Tielemans. Read on twitter he is possibly available at around £12.5m-£15m. Was so highly rated, keen to know why he's dropped off a lot of clubs radars.

Apparently a slight attitude problem

I think he was highly rated because of FM. I'm not sure he was ever good in real life.

Now we've had a few games to assess the squad, in you opinion, who could be sold or loaned?

Yedlin looked good to me, aggressive and quick, so would consider selling one of Trippier or Davies if the right offer came in. Only if Yedlin can cover left back. I like Trippier and Davies. Or maybe we can keep all 3?

Carol, Chadli, Pritchard, Bentaleb could raise a decent sum IF there are clubs who want them. Otherwise we might be loaning a number of players.

Now we've had a few games to assess the squad, in you opinion, who could be sold or loaned?

Yedlin looked good to me, aggressive and quick, so would consider selling one of Trippier or Davies if the right offer came in. Only if Yedlin can cover left back. I like Trippier and Davies. Or maybe we can keep all 3?

Carol, Chadli, Pritchard, Bentaleb could raise a decent sum IF there are clubs who want them. Otherwise we might be loaning a number of players.

Agree with that. Sell Yedlin though (and obviously Fazio as well)

I wouldn't loan anyone - I just don't see the point.

The only thing that's changed for me is the disappointing Bentaleb situation and the emergence of Winks.

I'd sell: Fazio, Yedlin, Carroll, Bentaleb, Pritchard and Chadli, Leaving us with a nice tight squad of 25 again

I wouldn't loan anyone - I just don't see the point.

The only thing that's changed for me is the disappointing Bentaleb situation and the emergence of Winks.

I'd sell: Fazio, Yedlin, Carroll, Bentaleb, Pritchard and Chadli, Leaving us with a nice tight squad of 25 again
We seem to use loan deals when we cannot find a club prepared to pay the transfer fee we want. Let's say we want £10 million for a player but only have clubs offering £6 or £7 million, then getting a £2 million loan fee and the player wages off the books for a year can be a good option, especially if the player value is unlikely to reduce during that year.

A loan could also be a useful option for a player like Bentaleb. He is young and on a good contract but due to playing very little last year his transfer value seems to have gone down to as little as £10 million. A good year on loan to a PL club could well elevate his value up to around £20 million.

I have also noticed that Levy seems to like loaning players if selling them would lead to an accounting loss on that player. A good example was Bentley who we paid £16 million for on a 5 year contract. His book value therefore depreciated at £3.2 million per year. Instead of cutting our losses we instead seemed to keep loaning him out, I assume to avoid the loss.

I do agree with your list of sales though..... Although of course Njie will be another player off.

I do essentially agree. But to me a loan is just a failure to arrange a good sale, which leaves all parties in limbo for 6-12 months. It should be a last resort for deadline day, if we can't arrange suitable value sales in the next month

Those 6 should hopefully all have ready buyers too. They are all (bar Fazio) youngish and decent EPL-level (though Carroll needs to move abroad) players. Not like the real deadwood of old

Loans have been great for players like Yedlin or Rose. After their Sunderland performances their value to us, and to other clubs, is demonstrated.

@Gutter Boy if you're offered £2m, today but 10 next season, because of a successful loan, there was huge value in that loan.

Personally I hope we keep Yedlin. He fits the fast attacking full back model. We'd need to get a high price to sell imo.

Last edited:
I do essentially agree. But to me a loan is just a failure to arrange a good sale, which leaves all parties in limbo for 6-12 months. It should be a last resort for deadline day, if we can't arrange suitable value sales in the next month

Those 6 should hopefully all have ready buyers too. They are all (bar Fazio) youngish and decent EPL-level (though Carroll needs to move abroad) players. Not like the real deadwood of old

Without loan deals we'd have dumped Harry a long while ago and failed to get a deal agreed for Alli. There is great value to be had on loan deals for younger up and coming players who aren't quite there yet but could be in a season's time.

Loans are good in most cases and helps out all partys, of course the club that one is loned to has to be right for the player AND the club who is loaning them. Pritchard's loan to WBA was a bad one from the start and i never could understand why Pooch allowed that to happen.

Oh yes I would have guessed that you'd have been an expert on just how good Tielemans actually is. He looked good against us if I recall.

No - that was Dendoncker who looked decent against us, or maybe Defour. Tielemans was typically poor that night. And Dier and Mason bossed the show anyway.

Loans have been great for players like Yedlin or Rose. After their Sunderland performances their value to us, and to other clubs, is demonstrated.

@Gutter Boy if you're offered £2m, today but 10 next season, because of a successful loan, there was huge value in that loan.

Personally I hope we keep Yedlin. He fits the fast attacking full back model. We'd need to get a high price to sell imo.

Why keep Yedlin? We have Walker, Trippier, Yedlin and, as 4th choice, Walker-Peters. I don't see any need to have a 3rd choice RB who is a full international - better to sell him than let hit rot. He's unlikely to get any game time

Back