• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer Transfer Strategy

It wouldn't surprise me - but only if the following is true:

1) they are a player who has worked well within a 'pressing' type of system
2) the transfer fee is very competitive (i.e. 15M or less)
3) they are on reasonable wages (no more than 45k/week)

Give the above criteria is it likely? Probably not....

Your criteria fit doesn't exist

1) concerns me if absolutely true, Poch should be able to figure out how to accommodate 1 (and would they really press less than Chadli?)
2) 15M? we paid 25m+ for Lamela, you don't think we would go higher for proven quality?
3) We can pay up to 100K.

Genuinely think that we could take a little pressure off Alli next season.

Happy to give Son a full chance.

Eriksen could also do with a like for like

For the first time in a long time, I really don't care for Spurs to make anymore signings. Of course, if an incredible player/deal pops up, we do it, but I think our squad is really well balanced, and I don't want us to bring in too many new players to potentially block our young players' development. The only place I could see us strengthening is that fourth CB role with maybe a young player or a 30+ veteran. Then again, if we have an injury crisis, Dier could always move back to CB with Wanyama coming into the DM role. I haven't seen enough of CCV to know how close he is to first team contention, but he's obviously really highly rated.

There really isn't a player in either our first or second XI that I don't feel good about or doesn't have potential. Sure, some of the attacking midfield options are unproven, but the only way they are going to become proven is to get on the pitch. Sonny showed enough last season to make me believe that he'll only get better, and hopefully Njie or Pritchard can make a jump too.

I could see us selling or loaning two or three, but it would nice to have another summer without too much turnover where we continue to steadily build toward the future. Probably haven't been this excited about our squad ever in my life. COYS.

--------------------------Lloris (29)
---------------------(Vorm 32/Mcgee 21)

Walker (26)--- ------Toby (27) / Vertonghen (29) --------------Rose 26
(Trippier 25)-------(Wimmer 23) / (CCV 18/Dier 22)------(Davies 23)

Dembele (29)--------Dier (22)
(Bentaleb 21/Mason 25)---(Wanyama 25)

Lamela (24)----------------------Alli (20)----------------Eriksen (24)
(Ndoukou, 21/Pritch, 22)- ---(Sonny 24)----------(Njie, 22/Chadli 26)

------------------Kane (22)-------------------
(Janssen) (22)

Other squad members/young players who could maybe get games: Carroll, Onomah, Dominic Ball, KWP, Winks, Edwards, CCV, Sterling, Harrison
Don't forget DeAndre Yedlin, back training with us, straining his sinuous thighs in the pursuit of excellence

Your criteria fit doesn't exist

1) concerns me if absolutely true, Poch should be able to figure out how to accommodate 1 (and would they really press less than Chadli?)

I hope you're right on this long-term. However, it's telling that at least two key targets we have been gunning for seem to have gotten the green light from Poch's 'Pressing mentor' Bielsa...the fact Chadli is further down the pecking order (despite his goal threat) makes the issue of pressing seemingly a key one for Poch in terms of attacking players...

2) 15M? we paid 25m+ for Lamela, you don't think we would go higher for proven quality?

Not really; i think Levy has been burnt on that and remeber he is on record in 2014 or 2015 as saying we will go back to sticking to around the 10m-20m bracket after those Bale-inspired buys. And how many 'proven quality' players would really be in the, say, 25M to 30M bracket, with the silly Oil/Oligarchy clubs showering cash around these days?

3) We can pay up to 100K.

Really? For a player to come in and start at that level of pay? With our squad structure and well-managed wage structure? There is a difference to 'can' and 'will'....even Hugo is only on £85K apparently. Until the stadium is here i can only see the likes of Kane or other players who have similar 'break-outs' to exceed the level of play to get even close to that before the stadium opens.

For the first time in a long time, I really don't care for Spurs to make anymore signings. Of course, if an incredible player/deal pops up, we do it, but I think our squad is really well balanced, and I don't want us to bring in too many new players to potentially block our young players' development. The only place I could see us strengthening is that fourth CB role with maybe a young player or a 30+ veteran. Then again, if we have an injury crisis, Dier could always move back to CB with Wanyama coming into the DM role. I haven't seen enough of CCV to know how close he is to first team contention, but he's obviously really highly rated.

There really isn't a player in either our first or second XI that I don't feel good about or doesn't have potential. Sure, some of the attacking midfield options are unproven, but the only way they are going to become proven is to get on the pitch. Sonny showed enough last season to make me believe that he'll only get better, and hopefully Njie or Pritchard can make a jump too.

I could see us selling or loaning two or three, but it would nice to have another summer without too much turnover where we continue to steadily build toward the future. Probably haven't been this excited about our squad ever in my life. COYS.

--------------------------Lloris (29)
---------------------(Vorm 32/Mcgee 21)

Walker (26)--- ------Toby (27) / Vertonghen (29) --------------Rose 26
(Trippier 25)-------(Wimmer 23) / (CCV 18/Dier 22)------(Davies 23)

Dembele (29)--------Dier (22)
(Bentaleb 21/Mason 25)---(Wanyama 25)

Lamela (24)----------------------Alli (20)----------------Eriksen (24)
(Ndoukou, 21/Pritch, 22)- ---(Sonny 24)----------(Njie, 22/Chadli 26)

------------------Kane (22)-------------------
(Janssen) (22)

Other squad members/young players who could maybe get games: Carroll, Onomah, Dominic Ball, KWP, Winks, Edwards, CCV, Sterling, Harrison
I'd like to see Edwards given a chance. Maybe this is a year too early, but he could be our next Dele Alli. Perhaps some cup action this year and a few PL cameos and thrown into the mix more next year.

Really? For a player to come in and start at that level of pay? With our squad structure and well-managed wage structure? There is a difference to 'can' and 'will'....even Hugo is only on £85K apparently. Until the stadium is here i can only see the likes of Kane or other players who have similar 'break-outs' to exceed the level of play to get even close to that before the stadium opens.
I agree with your prognosis here. There is indeed a big difference between 'can' and 'will'....

If we first look at the 'can' then all we need to do is consider the new Premiership TV deal. I think that this deal has added a pretty much guaranteed £30 million of yearly revenue. Therefore if you assume that we stick to our existing 55% wages to turnover ratio that gives us an extra £16.5 million a year to spend on wages, which looking at in isolation is 3 x £100,000 a week players.

So let's estimate the wages of our new signings and also estimate some new deals for our existing players....

Wanyama - £2.5 million increase on our wage bill
Janssen - £1.5 million increase on our wage bill
NKoudou - £1.5 million increase on our wage bill
Kane - a £3 million increase on our wage bill
Lamela - £1 million increase on our wage bill
Eriksen - £2 million increase on our wage bill
Vertonghen - £1 million increase on our wage bill
Lloris - £2 million increase on our wage bill
Pochettino has also signed a new deal which probably nets him another £1.5 million a year

My thoughts are that the above numbers would see Kane move to around £100k a week, Eriksen and Lloris around £80k a week, Lamela £70k a week and Vertonghen £50k a week.

So our total wage bill will be up by around £16 million

We have also now finally got Adebayor's wages off of the books - so that is a £5 million reduction to a our wage bill.

That nets out at a wage bill £11 million higher next season than this season. This would leave us with around £5.5 million to play with. Or to put another way it would allow us to add a £110,000 a week player to the squad. I don't think that Pochettino operates this way though. The players at Spurs getting increases and earning big money are those that have earned it through good performances for our club. Kane will likely be getting paid that magic £100,000 a week number - but he was Spurs top scorer for 2 years in a row and PL golden boot winner last season.

Personally I would rather that we use our remaining room on the wage bill to go for a player like Yunus Malli who would be likely to cost around £40k a week and then leave some spare £s in the pot in case we need to give Alderweireld/Ali/Dier improved terms.

Of course all of the above is based upon finger in the air estimations on existing and future wages. It also assumes that we do not increase our income in any way other than from the improved PL TV deal. My thoughts are that it is safe for us to consider that income 'banked' and increase our wage bill off the back of this.

The TV/prize money from the CL qualification and any improved sponsorship/merchandising/ticket revenue off of the back of this should instead be put towards the new stadium, as we can't guarantee that it will come again next season. However there is no reason why our wage bill cannot increase quite significantly off the back of the guaranteed TV income.

Of course when we move into our new stadium it is another game changer for us. Our revenue is likely to jump by a further £40 million a year. That would allow us to raise our wage bill by another £22 million, enabling us to have several players earning over £100k a week and our top earner somewhere around the the £150k a week mark.

I agree with your prognosis here. There is indeed a big difference between 'can' and 'will'....

If we first look at the 'can' then all we need to do is consider the new Premiership TV deal. I think that this deal has added a pretty much guaranteed £30 million of yearly revenue. Therefore if you assume that we stick to our existing 55% wages to turnover ratio that gives us an extra £16.5 million a year to spend on wages, which looking at in isolation is 3 x £100,000 a week players.

So let's estimate the wages of our new signings and also estimate some new deals for our existing players....

Wanyama - £2.5 million increase on our wage bill
Janssen - £1.5 million increase on our wage bill
NKoudou - £1.5 million increase on our wage bill
Kane - a £3 million increase on our wage bill
Lamela - £1 million increase on our wage bill
Eriksen - £2 million increase on our wage bill
Vertonghen - £1 million increase on our wage bill
Lloris - £2 million increase on our wage bill
Pochettino has also signed a new deal which probably nets him another £1.5 million a year

My thoughts are that the above numbers would see Kane move to around £100k a week, Eriksen and Lloris around £80k a week, Lamela £70k a week and Vertonghen £50k a week.

So our total wage bill will be up by around £16 million

We have also now finally got Adebayor's wages off of the books - so that is a £5 million reduction to a our wage bill.

That nets out at a wage bill £11 million higher next season than this season. This would leave us with around £5.5 million to play with. Or to put another way it would allow us to add a £110,000 a week player to the squad. I don't think that Pochettino operates this way though. The players at Spurs getting increases and earning big money are those that have earned it through good performances for our club. Kane will likely be getting paid that magic £100,000 a week number - but he was Spurs top scorer for 2 years in a row and PL golden boot winner last season.

Personally I would rather that we use our remaining room on the wage bill to go for a player like Yunus Malli who would be likely to cost around £40k a week and then leave some spare £s in the pot in case we need to give Alderweireld/Ali/Dier improved terms.

Of course all of the above is based upon finger in the air estimations on existing and future wages. It also assumes that we do not increase our income in any way other than from the improved PL TV deal. My thoughts are that it is safe for us to consider that income 'banked' and increase our wage bill off the back of this.

The TV/prize money from the CL qualification and any improved sponsorship/merchandising/ticket revenue off of the back of this should instead be put towards the new stadium, as we can't guarantee that it will come again next season. However there is no reason why our wage bill cannot increase quite significantly off the back of the guaranteed TV income.

Of course when we move into our new stadium it is another game changer for us. Our revenue is likely to jump by a further £40 million a year. That would allow us to raise our wage bill by another £22 million, enabling us to have several players earning over £100k a week and our top earner somewhere around the the £150k a week mark.

Remember losing £4k seats from WHL and the cost of renting Wembley for CL matches will hit our income a bit too. That will be even worse the season after when we are solely lodgers.

Remember losing £4k seats from WHL and the cost of renting Wembley for CL matches will hit our income a bit too. That will be even worse the season after when we are solely lodgers.
Can someone figure out if the extra seats we'll be gaining by playing at Wembley will cover the cost of renting the place?

Seats are a small part, waiting to see the corporate packages we will offer

Not sure we can offer corporate for Wembley other than club Wembley as the boxes are "owned" by the people who have them. Their normally personalised too and are pretty much a blank canvas for these companies to use as they see fit within the rules

If we do some (very high level) simple maths....

The 4,000 seats that we have lost at WHL at an average sale price of £40 per game x 23 games (let's assume 4 home, non CL, cup games in total) = £3.68 million. So we will lose somewhere around that sort of revenue next season from our reduced capacity.

Now If we had sold our CL tickets for WHL for an average of £30 per ticket at the pre North East corner demolition CL capacity of 35,000 we would've brought in £3.15 million of ticket revenue for the 3 group stage games..... If we managed to qualify from the group then every extra match we played in the competition would've brought in £1.4 million (assuming an average price of £40 per ticket).

Now lets assume we sell an average of 80,000 tickets at Wembley for our group stage games at the same average cost of £30 per ticket. That is £7.2 million of revenue. If we managed to qualify from the group then every extra match we played in the competition at the same 80,000 attendance would bring in £3.2 million (assuming an average price of £40 per ticket).

So we lose about £6.85 million in revenue from WHL, but gain around £7.2 million of revenue from using Wembley and for every extra game that we play in the competition we would gain another £1.8 million or so. Of course this doesn't factor in the cost of renting Wembley. It would be really useful if we could find out how much this will be costing.

Next season we will indeed face even bigger costs at Wembley. However we also benefit from having another 14,000 seats to sell for every match (and I'm sure dispensation to host some of the games at the full capacity. It may be that the additional capacity that Wembley affords us makes up for the rental cost so that we are not impacting our bottom line by moving away from WHL.

Good article that. I hope we can ensure our squad continues to develop. In my younger years it was all about big transfer fees that was the marker of our intelligence and ambition. Now I am more excited about lads coming through our youth and making it in our team. I think we are being intelligent the way we are going about things and planning for the future. Only a handful of clubs can be reckless with money and we are not one of them. I actually think we already have a core of players to be successful and improvement to our depth is th right way to go. When i think of our strongest 11 whoever you deem needs to be upgraded would cost in excess of 20mil. Very difficult to strengthen that first 11 without paying huge fees and wages.

Really just need someone who can produce the unexpected in the final third - genuine creativity which we don't have at the moment and what causes us to sometimes struggle to break teams down. Good summer though so far

Back