• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

At a personal level i can empathise. However this reeks of modern slavery, unlevel playing field favouring teams with deep pockets and its so downright childish that makes me favour calls for a new regulated player trading system.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Fapatalk

Slaves do not have a choice, players can choose to say no clubs like Man Utd but the big bucks and the fact that they are a top team and may play CL football is a temptation they cannot resist.

Some players will continue to sign for Chelsea for big bucks even though they will never play for them. There are teenagers who have never played for Chelsea, and never will but and are earning £50K a week, they are not slaves they made a choice. Jadon Sancho on the other hand chose to go to Dortmund where he would earn less money but would be given a chance to play.

Our ‘named’ 25-man squad might consist of the following (* = home grown player):

Hugo Lloris
Michel Vorm
Paulo Gazzaniga

Jan Vertonghen
Toby Alderweireld
Davinson Sánchez
Kieran Trippier*
Serge Aurier
Ben Davies*
Danny Rose*
Connor Ogilvie*

Mousa Dembélé
Victor Wanyama
Eric Dier
Harry Winks*

Christian Eriksen
Dele Alli*
Heung-min Son
Erik Lamela
Lucas Moura
Moussa Sissoko

Harry Kane*
Fernando Llorente
Vincent Janssen

NB: there are only 24 players and Georges-Kévin N’Koudou has been left out in this example, as we only have seven home grown players over 21.

Three bits of dead wood in Sissoko, Janssen and Llorente, which highlights the need for a striker in this window or we will have a dead Kane on our hands before December.

Otherwise we have about 18 days to fix this Toby/Dembele mess.

Ha!

Six weeks back I posted a comment saying along the lines of 'nothing to see here', 'no need to follow', 'nothing likely to happen'.

And Spurs remained idle the next two-three weeks.

Then I went largely on holidays for the past month, mostly rambling about in the woods and waterways of the Canadian Shield in Northern Ontario, kayaking about rivers and lakes, living with minimal amenities in cabins without running water or electricity and mostly just having the time of my life in the wild, emerging just in time to catch the WC final in a saloon filled with beer-swilling loogans who complained about having to watch 'sawker'.

The end result? I'm fitter than ever before, tanned, radiantly healthy and, having missed the square root of eff all, 100% correct.

Thank you Spurs. Now get on with it.

Well, at least the damned window shuts before the season starts this year. Hopefully it'll shut august 1st next year. I'm sure we'll get a couple in. Not sure why so many people got their knickers in a twist - that march thing, haha, great satire. :D

At a personal level i can empathise. However this reeks of modern slavery, unlevel playing field favouring teams with deep pockets and its so downright childish that makes me favour calls for a new regulated player trading system.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Fapatalk

Not sure if this is serious?

Why is it childish?

Shall we give united Harry and Christian?

Ha!

Six weeks back I posted a comment saying along the lines of 'nothing to see here', 'no need to follow', 'nothing likely to happen'.

And Spurs remained idle the next two-three weeks.

Then I went largely on holidays for the past month, mostly rambling about in the woods and waterways of the Canadian Shield in Northern Ontario, kayaking about rivers and lakes, living with minimal amenities in cabins without running water or electricity and mostly just having the time of my life in the wild, emerging just in time to catch the WC final in a saloon filled with beer-swilling loogans who complained about having to watch 'sawker'.

The end result? I'm fitter than ever before, tanned, radiantly healthy and, having missed the square root of eff all, 400% correct.

Thank you Spurs. Now get on with it.

This sounds great!

I'm really quite disappointed with our transfer window so far to be honest. This was a big opportunity and I feel we are missing it. Either way, any transfers now will struggle to get in any decent Poch pre season before we get started.

For example, if Graelish is a player we are actually after, it feels like it really should have been done by now. Not involved in the WC, club in severe trouble, we should have brought him in by pre season. Now we are 17 days away from the beginning of the season and still no transfer activity at all.

We have a good squad but even the very best squads can't stand still.

This sounds great!

I'm really quite disappointed with our transfer window so far to be honest. This was a big opportunity and I feel we are missing it. Either way, any transfers now will struggle to get in any decent Poch pre season before we get started.

For example, if Graelish is a player we are actually after, it feels like it really should have been done by now. Not involved in the WC, club in severe trouble, we should have brought him in by pre season. Now we are 17 days away from the beginning of the season and still no transfer activity at all.

We have a good squad but even the very best squads can't stand still.

Yeah, it's irksome. We do have a good squad, but the Toby situation, Dembele going the way of all flesh, and over-reliance on Kane in a year when Son will be entered in every Korean competition from ping-pong to shove ha'penny, all mean that the need to upgrade feels quite acute. The noises about Poch demanding transfer bravery will be worrying if we end up with fallback options, as well.

During Ferguson's best period, United only added one new player ever season.

Imagine last season's squad, plus Lamela, Moura and Onomah, plus one proper top drawer signing, like say Kovacic. That would be pretty fantastic.

Imagine last season's squad, plus Lamela, Moura and Onomah, plus one proper top drawer signing, like say Kovacic. That would be pretty fantastic.

How many years is it now that we have been imagining last season's squad, plus Onomah?

During Ferguson's best period, he dominated English football to an extent barely seen in our league's history and won 13 league titles, 5 FA cups, 4 league cups, 2 champions leagues and a few other 'tinpot' trophies to boot. Ferguson was unique.

Putting aside the fact that I'm pretty sure that isn't true anyway.

Imagine last season's squad with a 2 month injury to Kane while Son is away trying to get an exemption from service. Imagine last season's squad with Dembele continuing to decline. Imagine it with Onomah continuing to make absolutely no impact whatsoever. Imagine a 3 month injury to Sanchez and having to play Dier or Foyth for a prolonged period. It works both ways.

We are already trying to play catch up with 2 clubs and hold off 3 clubs below us. Liverpool have done good business, Man Utd have addressed one of their main weaknesses (though will obviously need to see how he does), City have added one of the league's best attackers to an already stacked squad.

Regardless of whether we do end up adding only 1 player, I am disappointed that the player won't be joining until (at best, assuming announced today) 17 days before the first game.

While that is a great soundbite GB, there isn't actually any truth behind it. In his 26 years at Man Utd, Alex Ferguson signed only 1 player on 3 separate occasions, all rather spread apart. Firstly In 1993 when be bought Roy Keane, Secondly in 2000 when he bought Fabien Barthez and lastly in 2006 when he bought Michael Carrick. Overall Ferguson made 105 signings for Man Utd, at an average of just over 4 signings every season. The most common number of signings made each year by Man Utd under Alex Ferguson was actually 5, with them making 5 signings on 6 separate occasions.

Below is the breakdown year on year.

Year: Number of signings
1987: 2
1988: 6
1989: 5
1990: 3
1991: 3
1992: 3
1993: 1
1994: 2
1995: 3
1996: 6
1997: 3
1998: 4
1999: 5
2000: 1
2001: 5
2002: 4
2003: 6
2004: 7
2005: 5
2006: 1
2007: 5
2008: 5
2009: 7
2010: 3
2011: 4
2012: 6

If it's OK with you I'd like to stop imagining last season's squad, plus Onomah and Kovacic now and instead dare to dream a little higher....

While that is a great soundbite GB, there isn't actually any truth behind it. In his 26 years at Man Utd, Alex Ferguson signed only 1 player on 3 separate occasions, all rather spread apart. Firstly In 1993 when be bought Roy Keane, Secondly in 2000 when he bought Fabien Barthez and lastly in 2006 when he bought Michael Carrick. Overall Ferguson made 105 signings for Man Utd, at an average of just over 4 signings every season. The most common number of signings made each year by Man Utd under Alex Ferguson was actually 5, with them making 5 signings on 6 separate occasions.

Below is the breakdown year on year.

Year: Number of signings
1987: 2
1988: 6
1989: 5
1990: 3
1991: 3
1992: 3
1993: 1
1994: 2
1995: 3
1996: 6
1997: 3
1998: 4
1999: 5
2000: 1
2001: 5
2002: 4
2003: 6
2004: 7
2005: 5
2006: 1
2007: 5
2008: 5
2009: 7
2010: 3
2011: 4
2012: 6

If it's OK with you I'd like to stop imagining last season's squad, plus Onomah and Kovacic now and instead dare to dream a little higher....
1200px-Barack_Obama_Mic_Drop_2016.jpg

Just like at the start of last season Lamela was going to be a new signing. There has been nothing to indicate Onomah is going to do anything here. Moura looks like he could be a decent purchase, but you are crazy if you think we only need one addition to our squad....

Back