• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

well world class might by a misnomer so I will say we will spend 70m on two players.

So the reports around 6 weeks ago that Poch had approximately £150m to spend (plus any fees generated from sales) was all nonesense and the reality is we have £0 to spend because we will no doubt raise at least £70m in player sales before the window shuts.

Also you won't get a player remotely close to world class for £35m.

There's an interesting correlation between those fans who behave like entitled, fickle tossers in OMTs and those currently expresseing displeasure at our current transfer activity.... Just calm the fudge down, Levy's got this.

Hopefully you’re right and we have a slick plan which is about to be put into action. Problem is that one transfer falling over elsewhere can have knock on impacts and the combination of World Cup and shorter window is dangerous, though more so for clubs which need wholesale clear-outs

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

There's an interesting correlation between those fans who behave like entitled, fickle tossers in OMTs and those currently expresseing displeasure at our current transfer activity.... Just calm the fudge down, Levy's got this.

Levy hasn’t “got this” at all unless the players the manager wants are in by the start of the US tour.

Exactly. Most of those teams have a scatter gun approach and need players.
We need only a couple, very specific players.
These are hard to find and even harder to find ones that are available.
We have a good team, squad, set up and team ethos - signing too many players or the wrong type of player can damage that.

I’m not one crying about lack of signings but it’s perfectly valid to complain. We have clear areas we need to upgrade in and now a shedload or knackered players from the World Cup. With Pochs intensive methods any new players need most of not all of pre season to be properly prepared so for there to be nothing to happening is a cause for concern. As for Levy’s got this, when has he ever supplied what we need in the transfer market on time? We are always playing catch up. I’m one of his biggest fans, it’s through no fault of his own but no manager of Spurs is delivered with what he needs on time....

Last edited:

There is no point panicking (to be honest, there is never any point panicking about football, its bloody football) but it is a shame that Poch specifically talked about the need to be brave, to get our business done before pre season etc etc and we've done nothing so far.

Slightly concerned about the beginning of the season tbh considering that we are generally slow starters, a huge portion of our players are still at the world cup and Son won't be there at the beginning as well.

I hope (for both our and Poch's sake) we manage to get moving soon.

Exactly. Most of those teams have a scatter gun approach and need players.
We need only a couple, very specific players.
These are hard to find and even harder to find ones that are available.
We have a good team, squad, set up and team ethos - signing too many players or the wrong type of player can damage that.

I dont think anyone is saying we need wholesale changes are they? Straight replacements for TA and Dembele, and possibly Rose. Then, depending on your view, ideally someone who can unpick tight defence with some pace or skill.

Similarly to others, I'm a huge Levy fan - best thing to happen to this club in my lifetime - but we really do make life difficult for ourselves given when we bring players in in the summer, with this season exacerbated by the world cup. Means that we go into the season hoping we're not too far behind after the first few games, rather than hoping we can be right up at the top

So the reports around 6 weeks ago that Poch had approximately £150m to spend (plus any fees generated from sales) was all nonesense and the reality is we have £0 to spend because we will no doubt raise at least £70m in player sales before the window shuts.

Also you won't get a player remotely close to world class for £35m.

Would be my guess or near enough.

I dont think anyone is saying we need wholesale changes are they? Straight replacements for TA and Dembele, and possibly Rose. Then, depending on your view, ideally someone who can unpick tight defence with some pace or skill.

Similarly to others, I'm a huge Levy fan - best thing to happen to this club in my lifetime - but we really do make life difficult for ourselves given when we bring players in in the summer, with this season exacerbated by the world cup. Means that we go into the season hoping we're not too far behind after the first few games, rather than hoping we can be right up at the top
People have been bemoaning no signing whilst our rivals have made signings.
I'm saying our pppl of potential singings is small, so it's important to find the right players, rather than any old player.

I get the point re; late signings, but I think too much is made of it, it's not exclusive to us.
With the window shutting so early this year I'm in favour of bringing in someone that we don't expect to play until November. Everyone is going to have squads that are tired after the WC, so need some fresh legs and to give the WC players a rest in a few months

People have been bemoaning no signing whilst our rivals have made signings.
I'm saying our pppl of potential singings is small, so it's important to find the right players, rather than any old player.

I get the point re; late signings, but I think too much is made of it, it's not exclusive to us.
With the window shutting so early this year I'm in favour of bringing in someone that we don't expect to play until November. Everyone is going to have squads that are tired after the WC, so need some fresh legs and to give the WC players a rest in a few months

OK. I'm one who has said that Man U, Man C and Liverpool have all strengthened well; Arse has brought 3 in already, though its not obvious to me that they're of the highest quality. Agree with you that signing the right players is fundamental....though presumably Liverpool and Arse have similar challenges - its not obvious why we should be more picky. I think some of us had hopes that we'd do things a bit earlier this year given Poch's comments about the importance of it, being brave and being able to start fast. Maybe we still will - it's not 'late' quite yet...maybe the next 1-2 weeks will see a couple players coming in and a couple leaving, but if we get to say 2 weeks time and still no-one in, then its difficult to see it not impacting us early in the PL season

I'm not sure I understand your point re tired WC players and bringing in someone who doesnt play til November. Surely given that we have so many WC players, and Son away in the Asian Cup, its even more important that we get in players who can play from the start of the season isnt it?

Man U are still yakita the mourinho approach of buying whatever.
Emirates Marketing Project can literally guy who they like.
Liverpool have brought really well.
Arsenal have a low bar, so a huge pool to buy from.

Of the players signed, only the Liverpool ones are ones that would work for us.

Re; WC players. We need players to in and learn the system and integrate. That takes time. And is more difficult as so many have away at the WC - can't train with your team mates if they are in Russia!

Due to the World Cup I could see some last minute bargains as teams have less time to sell i.e. teams want to get a player off the payroll but sell in a panic.

A good chance of a deadline day special IMO (Hopefully in addition to any key changes)

Until world cup players are back in training, any signing up until then is 'getting the job done early'.
Just because other teams have bought players, doesn't mean they have started training with the main players in their team.

There is no point panicking (to be honest, there is never any point panicking about football, its bloody football) but it is a shame that Poch specifically talked about the need to be brave, to get our business done before pre season etc etc and we've done nothing so far.

Slightly concerned about the beginning of the season tbh considering that we are generally slow starters, a huge portion of our players are still at the world cup and Son won't be there at the beginning as well.

I hope (for both our and Poch's sake) we manage to get moving soon.
Signing Kane for big bucks is being brave.
I am keeping the faith with Poch and Levy right now, that we've got a couple of deals done and dusted and waiting for the end of the world cup to announce it.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Due to the World Cup I could see some last minute bargains as teams have less time to sell i.e. teams want to get a player off the payroll but sell in a panic.

A good chance of a deadline day special IMO (Hopefully in addition to any key changes)
They don't necessarily have less time to sell, because other countries don't have the same deadline as us. So an EPL or EFL club can sell up to 31st August to say a French, German, Italian or Spanish club, but can't buy anyone after August 9th. So sellers are less likely to panic and EPL and EFL clubs who need players are more likely to panic come deadline day, unless the sellers are in dire need of income for other reasons, which they can't get from abroad. Against that, generally Premier League clubs have more money than their European counterparts, with a few notable exceptions. It will be an interesting situation, which I'm not sure Premier League clubs had entirely thought through when they voted through the changes after a media led campaign suggesting that all transfers should be sorted out before the start of the season. They did not take into account that the success of this depended on all countries having the same deadline day. A few chickens may come home to roost.

The sooner the whole circus is over with, the better in my view, whether or not there are unintended consequences. I would abolish the January window as well.

Poch made multiple comments at the end of last season regarding not leaving our transfers until the last minute along with being bold in the transfer market. Levy is not going to upset the best manager this club has had in decades, it's all under control.

Wouldn't surprise me if we already have a couple of players lined up ready to sign on the dotted line, or in true Levy style we've already signed them but he wants to maximise shirt sales so is holding back the big announcements until next week. :D

Back