• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Totally agreed. If we do go with Pau Lopez on a free this summer (or hell, even if we just keep Vorm), that's unnecessarily restricting our homegrown spots for no good reason by having three foreign keepers.

I wouldn't mind Ben Foster from West Brom, tbh. Safe pair of hands, has always done fairly well against us, and wouldn't cost a bomb.

Foster would be good, I'm expecting Vorm to get a new contract.

Just use Whiteman as 3rd choice. Gazzaniga is only on the books because of nepotism

Or replace both Vorm and Gazzaniga. Butland would be an alternative to replace Vorm - spoke out against Stoke's transfer policy as well so doesnt seem a happy camper. Foster is 35 so could still be first choice somewhere for a couple years, whereas moving to us might effectively end his career as a first choice keepr

I think that is more likely that he's here because we needed a third choice keeper and he was obtainable. We're not going to be using Whiteman as our third keeper next season.

No one needs 3 senior keepers with the emergency loan rule. It just a waste of wages and a squad place

I think that is the crux of where we are as a club. What is over level of ambition? Levy would favour this more conservative way or signing younger players, its what has served us well so far. But there comes a point where you need to stop just developing players and buy ready to play quality if you can. Is that what Poch is thinking too?
There's a difference between "developing players" and players that are on the brink of breaking out, such as Martial and Pulisic (and one could argue Pulisic has already reached that level). If you can guarantee that Bale would be injury-free and Poch-level fit for 90% of our games (and available for all the important ones), then I would agree. Otherwise I do not think we are yet at the financial level that we can take such a punt. Maybe in 2-3 years time.

People need to understand that moving into the new stadium won't change our spending ability overnight. We still need to consolidate our top-4 status and we're not there just yet.

Yes. It is reasonable.
It is about impact, and if in that 2-3 years he drives us to silverware (I believe he would) then he will embrace a thousand Pulisic's...(cue memes)...
See my response above: If you can guarantee that Bale would be injury-free and Poch-level fit for 90% of our games (and available for all the important ones), then I would agree. Otherwise I do not think we are yet at the financial level that we can take such a punt.

If we are to take such a punt, then why not go for a Griezman (or someone of similar ilk)? Why are we stuck on Bale?

On the other hand, there is a bit of a gap on the attacking right hand side in United’s squad. It may be very tough.

I was always of the mind that they got
him a year ahead of when we would have ideally sold him, because of his rapid improvement in his last season with us. I’m hoping that because of that, Levy extracted some kind of clause. Cheap buy back with wages covered perhaps. Ahhhh it would just be so sweet. But there have always been rumblings that Woodward loves Bale too...so I guess we’ll see.

A 'standalone' buy-back would have been a pretty meaningless, waste of time clause to put in the contract given the likely wages scenario at re-sale point, so you never know. This is Daniel Levy we're talking about...!

See my response above: If you can guarantee that Bale would be injury-free and Poch-level fit for 90% of our games (and available for all the important ones), then I would agree. Otherwise I do not think we are yet at the financial level that we can take such a punt.

If we are to take such a punt, then why not go for a Griezman (or someone of similar ilk)? Why are we stuck on Bale?

If we’re stuck on Bale, maybe it’s because of the romance involved that may be the only reason we would stand a chance, or the fact that when we agreed to sell him we had some buy back clause that makes it financially possible for us. No doubt we would have to get creative on fees and wages but maybe there’s something there.

A little piece of my interest in football would die if he went to United. And it’s quite likely to happen. But it would just show that money really is a shortcut, and both they and City are determined to throw it around to attain their ends. Where as if we get him, it would be romantic, it would be a sign that belief in building something would be more important than being one more cog in a soulless machine. But if he goes there I’d almost write off our ability to win the league for another 3 years at least.

I don't think anyone said Bale is not good enough for us. Most are questioning whether it's reasonable to make a huge financial commitment on a 29-year old with not the best injury record, who has maybe 2-3 good years left, instead of spending the cash on a couple of up-and-coming stars (e.g. a Pulisic and a Martial).

My thoughts as well.

I wouldn't mind Ben Foster from West Brom, tbh. Safe pair of hands, has always done fairly well against us, and wouldn't cost a bomb.

I do like Vorm and i do not think there are many ( if any) better no 2's in the Prem. As for Foster he is a top keeper and we could do a lot worse IF we were in for another Keeper. He was the reason we did not beat Utd in the Final a few years ago (O9) it was one of the best keepers performances i have seen.

If you fancy a bit of a chuckle, hear this.
Stan Collymore has suggested that Liverpool build their squad by offering us £150 million for Alderweireld, Alli and Eriksen.
That's in total.

What world is he in?

If you fancy a bit of a chuckle, hear this.
Stan Collymore has suggested that Liverpool build their squad by offering us £150 million for Alderweireld, Alli and Eriksen.
That's in total.

What world is he in?
Double it and we still wouldn't sell. In fairness he has been very complementary about us and how we go about our business, but those numbers are well off.

Back