• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Subway.. What no bacon!?

Made a demand for what? If they Demanded Halal meat they got it. If the Shop wanted to give them what they wanted then they just had to stock Halal meat. Freedom of choice. But this still has nothing to do with them not selling Bacon or pork.

I think what I am trying to get across. That is the consumers in these areas must have said something along the lines that as long as Subway sold Pork products they would not frequent the stores. So yes, if they are doing it for financial gain to get these customers in then so be it.

But why do that? does that mean shops that dont have many veggie customers should stop stocking veggie items? what happened to just giving choice over to the public?

so you would be quite happy if your local Asda, Tesco etc decided not to stock pork products due to the majority local consumer?

according to the article this is a result of subways demographic analysis not in response to any organised action

as for choice, well, its subway, there are thousands of them, just walk 4 doors up the high street to the non halal one

Made a demand for what? If they Demanded Halal meat they got it. If the Shop wanted to give them what they wanted then they just had to stock Halal meat. Freedom of choice. But this still has nothing to do with them not selling Bacon or pork.

I think what I am trying to get across. That is the consumers in these areas must have said something along the lines that as long as Subway sold Pork products they would not frequent the stores. So yes, if they are doing it for financial gain to get these customers in then so be it.

But why do that? does that mean shops that dont have many veggie customers should stop stocking veggie items? what happened to just giving choice over to the public?

so you would be quite happy if your local Asda, Tesco etc decided not to stock pork products due to the majority local consumer?

I don't know about demand, this is conjecture, and the same language being used by EDL types to further push the idea that Britain is being islamified. Subway did this as a business decision and it was not based on demands by hook wearing bearded men and burkah clad angry women, it was based on money.

The fact is that in most town centres there are 2 or 3 subways within a 5 minute walk of each other. They are probably taking the less frequented branches in high muslim areas and removing pork to try and drive cusotmers in from a certain faith who will aprreciate the certainty that their food has not been in contact with non-halal meat.

Really simple and clever business idea.

Last edited:
this is conjecture, and the same language being used by EDL types to further push the idea that Britain is being islamified

I hope you are not trying to tar me with that brush. As I am certainly knowhere along that vain of thinking. I have no problem with selling and serving Halal meat. It makes no real difference to me. What I take some umbridge at is that they have not decided to sell it along side everything else to maximise choice for everyone no matter what their race and religion. By making this choice they have also taken away some of their custom I am sure. So how is that a sound business decision.

Surely maximising choice would be the best decision. Covering all the bases so anyone can get what they need. They fact you think some people could get upset that maybe their halal meat has touched some dreaded pork is ridiculous. All veggies have to go through this when they order their food in restaurants that also sell meat.

I just find the idea that they cut a certain choice instead of maximising choice very strange no matter your rhetoric.

I hope you are not trying to tar me with that brush. As I am certainly knowhere along that vain of thinking. I have no problem with selling and serving Halal meat. It makes no real difference to me. What I take some umbridge at is that they have not decided to sell it along side everything else to maximise choice for everyone no matter what their race and religion. By making this choice they have also taken away some of their custom I am sure. So how is that a sound business decision.

Surely maximising choice would be the best decision. Covering all the bases so anyone can get what they need. They fact you think some people could get upset that maybe their halal meat has touched some dreaded pork is ridiculous. All veggies have to go through this when they order their food in restaurants that also sell meat.

I just find the idea that they cut a certain choice instead of maximising choice very strange no matter your rhetoric.

Absolutely not mate. The issue is being used by far right but if it came across that I aimed that at you then I apologise.

Back to the issue, even I find it strange but it isn't discrimination or islamification or political for me. Just odd. On that we agree. I am a Muslim and I eat with my work colleagues at a normal subway. They have pork and I have a toasted veggie thing. Doesn't bother me at all.

What is happening to this once great country??

Freedom of choice is everything or so I thought?

What is happening to this once great country??

Freedom of choice is everything or so I thought?

Yeah, I wanted to wear a Superman costume to work but wasn't allowed FFS!! Still had to work like Superman the muffas!

I have a problem with it being forced on me. I do get the feeling that we are having to roll over here.. its a bit Betamax and VHS.. only one way can prevail.

Crikey, Do they do a similar deal for Atheists?!

It seems looking into those accounts that they do pay fees but they are built into the upfront costs so the accounts they open would not be so appealing to non muslims anyway.

Not sure how it works with them not being able to receive interest as I would assume most people's pension pots are made up of different investments that would generate interest over the length of the pension. Mine does anyway. Think they just word things differently to get around the Religious side of things.

It seems looking into those accounts that they do pay fees but they are built into the upfront costs so the accounts they open would not be so appealing to non muslims anyway.

Not sure how it works with them not being able to receive interest as I would assume most people's pension pots are made up of different investments that would generate interest over the length of the pension. Mine does anyway. Think they just word things differently to get around the Religious side of things.

Yup that is precisely it. None of the Islamic finance products are cheaper. Not one. Especially the mortgages. They are more expensive by a distance. It's semantics. They replace interest payments with joint ownership where you repay the loan and rent st same time. Word play. I don't buy in to them personally at all.

I have a problem with it being forced on me. I do get the feeling that we are having to roll over here.. its a bit Betamax and VHS.. only one way can prevail.

I agree with that. But my point was that it could and should be an option. Interestingly i saw this morning the ad for Subway on the Sport magazine they give out on Friday at the tube stations. It was the £2 Bacon sandwich and coffee deal. I read the small print and it said that in certain shops a Halal alternative was available. But it did not say you could not get the bacon one as well. Someone has to go into one and see if they actually have no Bacon at all. I would not be suprised if it was just scare mongering.

You're clearly not in a position to make an informed decision on this.

I don't think it's ridiculous to think that some people could get upset that maybe their halal meat has touched some pork. Not at all.

I don't think it's ridiculous to think that some people could get upset that maybe their halal meat has touched some pork. Not at all.

Good post.

It's amazing how often i agree AND disagree with you :lol:

I agree that people could get upset by that. Just as veggies would get upset for the exact same reason. But that is beside the point and your position is uninformed also. You are insinuating that a food establishment is incapable of keeping their meats apart. How would you know this. As this can be the only basis of thought for someone to think that their halal meat my touch some port. And thus want it totally removed for that establishment to make it a viable option for them.

Back