• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Substitutions

Maybe the manager see's the game differently from the rest of us? Maybr he is keeping some people sweet? He takes off Alli in the 60th he will get the ump. Kane on a hat trick Etc. Could be a number of reason's.

In Poch We Trust

This Everton game is a prime example of Poch doing subs too late. Sissoko has been wasting space for 65 mins yet we've got Son on the bench.

So when should he have made them? In the 50th minute when we're 3-0 up?

The earlier you make substitutions that are unneccessary (i.e not game changing) the less players you have to bring on to replace tired or injured players. And Poch doesn't need to bring someone on with 25 minutes to go to see what they can do when the team is cruising to victory as he sees that every day of the week in training.

always good to do the research, football has plenty of considered wisdoms that are actually false, look how excited people get when their team has a corner for example
Or how they feel a manager isn't doing his job unless he's making a substitution every 5 minutes.

So when should he have made them? In the 50th minute when we're 3-0 up?

The earlier you make substitutions that are unneccessary (i.e not game changing) the less players you have to bring on to replace tired or injured players. And Poch doesn't need to bring someone on with 25 minutes to go to see what they can do when the team is cruising to victory as he sees that every day of the week in training.

I would have replaced Sissoko with Son around the 60 minute mark at the latest. If he wanted to give Eriksen a breather then I'd have replaced him with Winks on say 65 minutes then kept one final change in reserve until around 80-85 mins.

I would have replaced Sissoko with Son around the 60 minute mark at the latest. If he wanted to give Eriksen a breather then I'd have replaced him with Winks on say 65 minutes then kept one final change in reserve until around 80-85 mins.
There's something wrong with your keyboard.

You clearly typed 6 and it added a 0.

He made 29 subs in 38 league games last season when there was less than 5 minutes left to go. Those are the ones that annoy me.

He might as well be saying i don't really trust the rest of the squad but here's an appearance fee anyway for not being too crap this week in training.

Wasting 15 extra seconds at the end of the game is not more important to the team's chances than a fresh player playing for the last 20 minutes.

We need them apparently, to break up and slow down the game at the end of tight ones. Wish he'd got Sanchez on at Wembley a minute earlier like he was trying to; we'd have won!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I think Pochettino is a bit more conservative with making changes just to give game time than a lot of posters on here. Take the Everton game, we looked completely in control at 3-0 and even at 2-0. But a fluke goal from them and the momentum could swing completely.

If the game just slowly dies and we win comfortably the actual learning experience for the young/settling player we bring on is very limited.

So you'd have give Eriksen that vital extra 6 minutes rest.

As for the Sissoko change I see no reason for making that change at all, other than there seems to be a dislike for for a player who actually had a good game yesterday.

And your last substitution is exactly what Poch did. I really do not understand the fascination of when managers make substitutions and trust their decision more than anyone else's opinion seeing as they have the plan not us.

A lot of wisdom from fans who believe that Poch either makes the wrong sub or makes them too late. I would rather leave it to the man who does the job for a living rather then someone who thinks they know better from the comfort of their armchair.

There is nothing wrong with fans who give their opinion about who what when subs are made , however i have heard some say he has a fault about using subs, that to put it bluntly is gonad*s.

I agree Poch seems a bit too cautious when it comes to subs. We don't have the same information as him, for instance he has a better feel for how tired a player is, or he might know 2 players have small injuries they are playing with, so he doesn't want to use up subs in case those guys need to come off... or whatever. Similarly we can see a lot of things Poch can't see because we're high up and can see the wide angle view of what is going on, particularly on the far side of the pitch.

There have been occasions when something is going wrong and we need to CHANGE something, either formation or tactics or personnel, and he has not made a change for a while, that is frustrating to watch. Equally there might be lots of situations where Poch makes a small formation change before we even realise what needs doing, as he sees something or hears the other manager instructing something.

He is very good but he is not above questioning and nor is Pep, nor the Pope.

So you'd have give Eriksen that vital extra 6 minutes rest.

As for the Sissoko change I see no reason for making that change at all, other than there seems to be a dislike for for a player who actually had a good game yesterday.

And your last substitution is exactly what Poch did. I really do not understand the fascination of when managers make substitutions and trust their decision more than anyone else's opinion seeing as they have the plan not us.

Did you actually watch the game?

If you think Sissoko's performance yesterday was good then we have different opinions which is part of being a football fan. From what I saw, he could barely control a ball, put a header away from the middle of the six yard box and generally allowed our play to break down at every opportunity.

Having an opinion about when a manager makes a substitution is a key part of being a fan of football. It is subjective but I stand by all those suggested changes and would enjoy having the discussion with Poch but not you.

If you read my post properly.....If Eriksen goes off for Winks on 65 minutes then that's a half hour rest not 6 minutes.

Did you actually watch the game?

If you think Sissoko's performance yesterday was good then we have different opinions which is part of being a football fan. From what I saw, he could barely control a ball, put a header away from the middle of the six yard box and generally allowed our play to break down at every opportunity.

Having an opinion about when a manager makes a substitution is a key part of being a fan of football. It is subjective but I stand by all those suggested changes and would enjoy having the discussion with Poch but not you.

If you read my post properly.....If Eriksen goes off for Winks on 65 minutes then that's a half hour rest not 6 minutes.

And if you'd have read my post you'd notice I said if Eriksen went off after 65 minutes instead coming off after 65 is an extra 6 minutes.

Yes I did watch the game Sissoko, for all flaws, actually had as good a game as either Alli, Davies or Tripper had but because of an obvious dislike by many on here he seems to get singled out.

Subs against Everton were clearly made with CL game in mind (it's the earliest I've seen Eriksen come off, and Son will likely take Dele's role in midweek), so don't think its a good game to analyze re Poch's subs.

I think Llorente, Aurier/Trippier and hopefully Lamela (at some point) have options for Poch he's never had before, be easier to make statements on his policy post that

Another example of why Pochettino sometimes leaves subs a bit later than some on here would like. Had that petered out a 3-1 or 4-1 win for us no doubt people would be claiming that Poch should have made changes earlier to rest players. But 20 minutes left and everything changes with the red. Would never with a WH goal at that point too btw.

Subs available in Trippier, Winks and Llorente proved important. And not having made changes just to give someone game time was important.

Winks for Eriksen was a bad substitution and nearly cost us two points. Eriksen is our main player . All three goals were down to him. Bringing Winks made it far easier for them and meant we far less likely to score a 4th.

I think Poch is trigger happy - you don't always have to make 3 substitutions. He brought on a. vastly inferior player for arguably the best midfielder in the PL. It was more likely to help West Ham and it did.

Winks for Eriksen was a bad substitution and nearly cost us two points. Eriksen is our main player . All three goals were down to him. Bringing Winks made it far easier for them and meant we far less likely to score a 4th.

I think Poch is trigger happy - you don't always have to make 3 substitutions. He brought on a. vastly inferior player for arguably the best midfielder in the PL. It was more likely to help West Ham and it did.
Much as I have always championed Eriksen I just cannot agree with that.

Once we'd gone down to ten the first priority was to stiffen up the midfield. Plus provide fresh legs for what was bound to be an attritional last 20 minutes.

Whatever Eriksen's strengths they do not include tackling and that was what was now needed. And whilst Winks is not in Eriksen's class his passing is usually excellent and he too is capable of seeing a pass.

Remember Poch would have had more than half an eye on Tuesday 's trip to Apoel so it made good sense to protect one of his key players ahead of that game. If Poch has learnt one lesson from last season it is to exploit his squad to the full, especially when we are playing in Europe. The last thing you want is for your best players to be so jaded they cannot give of their best in the important matches.

Much as I have always championed Eriksen I just cannot agree with that.

Once we'd gone down to ten the first priority was to stiffen up the midfield. Plus provide fresh legs for what was bound to be an attritional last 20 minutes.

Whatever Eriksen's strengths they do not include tackling and that was what was now needed. And whilst Winks is not in Eriksen's class his passing is usually excellent and he too is capable of seeing a pass.

Remember Poch would have had more than half an eye on Tuesday 's trip to Apoel so it made good sense to protect one of his key players ahead of that game. If Poch has learnt one lesson from last season it is to exploit his squad to the full, especially when we are playing in Europe. The last thing you want is for your best players to be so jaded they cannot give of their best in the important matches.

I am not sure that Winks made a successful tackle - he did give away a free kick in a bad area . I agree had we been coasting protecting Eriksen and bringing on Winks for the last 10/15 would have been fine.

Eriksen did not play against Barnsley so was relatively fresh. Sorry, but I can't see it helping anyone but West Ham. If anything Ali should have been the one to take off.

I thought Llorente might have been introduced earlier, perhaps for Dele, to combat West Ham hoofball and set-pieces.

Back