• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Starting X1 for next season if don't sign anybody else?

Way too easy for teams playing a 3 man midfield to pick him up unless the other two midfielders also contribute with some purpose. Even if he can drop deep and get on the ball enough that would leave us very light up front. Wingers like Bale and Lennon need to be set up in decent positions, you can't just give them the ball at the half way line and expect creativity.

Did you think it worked well last season when we played Sandro and Parker with VdV ahead of them? I thought we looked really poor, especially when opponents were organized.

Opposition is organized, ball is with the back 4, but our central duo doesn't show for the ball, or when they do they just pass it back to the back 4 or sideways without purpose. How are we going to set up our attacking players in decent positions?

To be honest I can't remember who we played when that happened and key was did we have Bale and Lennon on the flanks too?

One of they key arguments against playing Bale up front against Saudi Sportswashing Machine for me is that it puts AVB under scrutiny from the start if it does not immediately pay off. Any unusual decisions from him and the press will be all over him. Personally, I would rather we went about our business quietly until Christmas, the new players bedding in and AVB having time to work with the players and mold them into what he wants them to be.

One of they key arguments against playing Bale up front against Saudi Sportswashing Machine is that it puts AVB under scrutiny from the start if it does not immediately pay off. Any unusual decisions from him and the press will be all over him. Personally, I would rather we went about our business quietly until Christmas, the new players bedding in and AVB having time to work with the players and mold them into what he wants them to be.

it would be unfair scrutiny the same as it would have been unfair scrutiny for Harry.

You make the best of your first team and squad. You have to take a risk and Bale I think would be alittle more suited than Defoe BUT if we are playing 433 I would still play Defoe up front but would understand Bale.

4-6-0

--------------Gomes

Walker---Kaboul----Verts---BAE

----Parker----Sandro----Modric/Hudd
-----Sig-------Rafa-----Bale

Looking like no new faces will be here in time for Saudi Sportswashing Machine so I am going with...

-------------Friedel----------------

Walker------Verts----Kaboul-----BAE

------------Sandro-------------------

Lennon-----------Siggy-----------Bale

---------------VDV-------Defoe----------

if we don't sign anyone else I think siggy can be an auxilary striker to defoe.
in the formation above siggy and vdv would seamlessly swop places. and my, look at the supply line coming down both wings.

we still Ok as a team, if AVB can get the most out of GDS, Gomes and modric.

-------------Friedel/Gomes---------------

Walker/???------Verts/Gallas----Kaboul-----BAE/Rose

------------Sandro/Parker/Livermore--------------

Lennon/GDS-------Siggy/Modric/Thudd--------Bale/Townsend

--------VDV/GDS-------Defoe/Carroll-------

Can livermore play in other places aside from central midfield?
And who can backup for Walker?

NewPicture3-3.jpg

Problem is not just personnel is about how AVB wants them to play. If VDB and Defoe are the front men then the high-line is what worries me. Pressure will be on massively.

Agree with that except would play Rafa instead of Sigurdsson. I'm still baffled by the amount of love for GS on this site despite the fact that 2-3 months ago no-one on here was saying that he was someone they wanted to SPurs to sign!! Maybe its just because he;s our one attacking signing so far....

Look at the age of the bench! (Gallas would be involved though so would increase it)

There's no way VDV is fully fit, which is why he's on my bench. Fully fit he'd be in my starting 11.
For me GS has been superb preseason, he'll top the combined goals and assist table this season. In a system that is very compact, he seems to be the one player able to find space.

There's no way VDV is fully fit, which is why he's on my bench. Fully fit he'd be in my starting 11.
For me GS has been superb preseason, he'll top the combined goals and assist table this season. In a system that is very compact, he seems to be the one player able to find space.

Was superb last season too - 7 goals and 3 assists in 17 apps (0.59 G+A/app), 2.8 key passes per game, 3.9 shots per game
VdV - 11 goals and 7 assists in 28 apps (0.64 G+A/app), 2.3 key passes per game, 3.1 shots per game

I actually think VdV and Gylfi can play in the same team (not regularly, but in special circumstances). VdV tends to drop deeper into midfield, while Gylfi has some (not much, but some) experience playing as a striker. If our only other options are Defoe or Bale, I'd rather see Gylfi there since I think he'll get more touches on the ball and he's still fairly clinical. Defoe imo will end up invisible, which is rather dangerous given that the much anticipated "high line" demands possession, and Bale still looks awkward there.

But I think Ade will be here before Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

Back