• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Starting 11?

Re: New season's best starting 11?

Ade faded badly after his initial good spell last season.
He did fade, I agree. At this stage of his career I think he's best suited to one game a week. But that puts a premium on who your other strikers are and how productive they will be. With the questions surrounding Soldo and Kane, and even Ade, really hope we bring in another top flight striker to cover our bases.

--------------Lloris------------
Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Davies
---------Sandro-Schneiderlin-----------
--Lennon---Eriksen---Lamela----
------------Soldado-------------

Subs: Vorm, Chiriches, Fryers, Holtby, Paulinho, Dembele, J.Rodriguez

How exactly people think Soldado should be a starter after 2 open play goals in a whole season and misses galore is beyond me (especially after how good Ade played). The rest is up for debate..

I know adebayor isn't the most consistent player, but it baffles me too. Soldado has yet to show that he belongs in a club challenging for the top six.

i guess what people are doing with Soldado is writing off last season - as hardly anyone performed to a consistently acceptable level - and giving him a clean slate, whilst looking at his record from Spain.

that and you never know which Adebayor is gonna turn up.

------------Lloris--------------
Walker---?????--Verts---Davies
------Bentaleb--Mason--------
--Eriksen---Lamela---Lennon--
-----------Soldado-----------

May sound strange to some but I like the idea of having two passers in the middle there. I'd replace one of them with Schneiderlin if we do in fact sign him. Kaboul would be my choice at CB but I'm hoping we get a new first choice starter for that spot.

7 Soldados to 4 Ades in this thread so far

The football season has been over for awhile...the average football fan forgets a players contribution (or lack of) from the previous week let alone months back). He'll proceed to miss chances galore and contribute **** all and we'll see what the new excuse is (my bet is "he's getting used to the system").

The football season has been over for awhile...the average football fan forgets a players contribution (or lack of) from the previous week let alone months back). He'll proceed to miss chances galore and contribute **** all and we'll see what the new excuse is (my bet is "he's getting used to the system").

Same could be said for your view, personally I hope both are successful this season, but lets look at where we are

- Ade has missed another preseason, and has malaria which can be very draining physically
- Ade played **** for the last 2-3 months of the season
- Ade has a history of inconsistency
- Soldado despite last season, is a good striker
- Soldado has shown he can contribute when not scoring
- In preseason, along with Eriksen & Lamela has been one of main sources of goal creation (3 assists in 3 games)

I'm sure you can explain why you think Ade's good counters my points, and beat the dead horse of how bad last season was for Soldado, but it's all opinion mate, and Soldado is an option, may not be your preferred option, but honestly can't fathom how some people think he's not.

The only person who's opinion matters btw is Poch.

We're leaving it too late to make any big name signings or I suspect we won't be making any...

So how do you see us lining up next season based on current players and those due back this week?

I'll go for;

--------------Lloris------------
Walker Vertonghen Dawson Davies
-------------Sandro------------
---------Dembele Holtby--------
-----Eriksen---------Lamela-----
------------Soldado-------------

Dawson????? You jest he is a liability
Soldado? A striker who so far has only proved an inability to score in open play

Soldado? A striker who so far has only proved an inability to score in open play

Lamela??? what has he done in a Spurs shirt?
Holtby??? headless chicken
Sandro??? half the player he once was

GK Lloris

RB Walker
RCB ??????
LCB Vertonghen
LB Davies

CM Schneiderlin
CM Dembele
ACM Eriksen

RF Lamela
LF Jay Rodriguez

ST Adebayor

I don't know about Vertonghen's partner. Let me say that I rate Chiriches highly, very highly, so highly in fact that I think he's as good as Jan. Problem is I just can't see them being a complimentary pairing which is really annoying. If Kaboul could return to 11/12 Kaboul then great but I'm not sure we'll see that. Dawson? No ta. Left back I've stuck Davies in there but I don't know really. CM is a bit of a toss up as well but I love the Moose and think Sandro will probably go with Schneiderlin replacing him. Bentaleb is a great option, Capoue maybe, Paulinho I'm terribly unconvinced by.

Come on - no Schneiderlin or Rodriguez till they sign.

Or I'll go and put Petit, Eto'o, Rivaldo, Arshavin and Moutinho in.

As it stands:

----------------------Lloris----------------------

Walker------Kaboul---------------Verts------Davies

------------Capoue-------------Dembele---------

Lamela---------------Paulinho----------------Eriksen

----------------------Soldado-------------------

Subs: Vorm, Chiriches, Rose, Sandro, Chadli, Townsend, Adebayor

Subs not used: Friedel, Veljkovic, Fredericks, Bentaleb, Carroll, Lennon, Kane

That's assuming we sell/loan Naughton, Daws, Fryers and Holtby. I think we'll see quite a few incomings soon, though, so that will change.

QUOTE]

]--------------Lloris------------
---------Sandro-Dembele-----------
--Lennon---Eriksen---Lamela---
------------Ade-------------

or I prefer 4-4-2, which Poch doesn't but then I would play:

Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Davie
---------Sandro------------
--------Soldado-----Ade--------

I think we would score more as Soldado linked well with Ade and we might actually have someone in the box when a shot or GHod-forbid a cross from the bye-line comes in.

Kaboul looks like as much if not more of a liability.

Chiriches can't be fit or he'd feature on the US tour.

Who else would you suggest?!

Also Ade hasn't featured at all in pre season since his malaria incident so I'm assuming he's hardly on tract for match fitness.

QUOTE]

---------Sandro-Dembele-----------
------------Ade-------------

or I prefer 4-4-2, which Poch doesn't but then I would play:

Walker Kaboul Vertonghen Davie
---------Sandro------------
--------Soldado-----Ade--------

I think we would score more as Soldado linked well with Ade and we might actually have someone in the box when a shot or GHod-forbid a cross from the bye-line comes in.

If MS signs I would start with him instead of Sandro or start with Sandro in the 4-4-2 and replace him with MS as soon he gets the yellow card.
I would have Shaqiri as competition for Lamella and buy Remi as cover for the strikers even if Jay Rodriguez signs, we will need at least 4 strikers.

Last edited:

------------Chirches---------------Verts------------

Walker----------------------------------------Davies

------------Capoue-------------Dembele---------

Lamela---------------Holtby----------------Eriksen

----------------------Soldado-------------------

We don't have a lot of time with europa midweek so i'd like to see us start the season conservatively - tight and compacting the centre.
Instead of pushing wide -we've never really done well converting from the wings - we should build from the tight centre with a more direct football.
A solid core of 3 players in the centre (Dembele, Capoue, Holtby) to chase down and block for everything midfield, will allow us to free up other three Eriksen, Lamela, Soldado to roam/overlap in waves, with midfield getting a lot of goals.
Fullbacks alternating in attack.

i'd like to see heavy rotation and subs, with the right subs for a Plan B attack:

- for a plan B attack with speedy wingers lennon, townsend, rose (great for tormenting the opposition)
- to keep up the pressure and tight centre: paulinho, sandro, bentaleb (most critical, to dominate the midfield, while compressing play with a high defensive line)
- just in case: vorm, kaboul

Crazy what a few months break to people's opinions of a player. Soldado was by and large very poor last season. I would play Kane ahead of him if Ade is not fit. He has to force his way back into the team imo that is if he isn't sold. Also how can people criticise Ade for going off the boil the end of last season but not Soldado for being **** all year? At least Ade has proven he has a purple patch in him. I was very critical of Lamela last season but he has looked very good so far this preseason and due to lack of other options (Lennon was pony all last season and Chadli & Townsend very meh)

So...

--------------Lloris-------------------

Walker-----Verts-----Kaboul------Davies

-----------Sandro-----Paulinho--------

Lamela-----------Holtby----------Eriksen

--------------Adebayor-----------------

Last edited:

------------Chirches---------------Verts------------

Walker----------------------------------------Davies

----------------Sandro------Holtby------------------