• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad

I think he's our best defensively of all our CM. So I think there's a possible scenario (hanging onto a lead) that we'd perhaps use him alongside Bissouma in the pivot.

With Bentancur coming back, I think there's an opportunity for him to take over Hojbjerg's squad role (i.e. not replace Hojbjerg when he goes in the next window or two)

Depends what you mean by "best defensively" imo. I think he's a really clever player, good positionally and disciplined. I think there are phases of play where he's up there. When well organised and in position. Hanging on to a lead, getting pushed deeper I think he can be really good.

With more space around him, with players running at him with space to attack I don't think he is. Bissouma and Bentancur both better imo. Sarr too would be in with a shout at least. We have to defend like that quite a bit the way we play, I don't think it suits Skipp that well.

I think we need to look for a more natural Bissouma understudy when/if Hojbjerg leaves. That will just be a requirement, particularly with European football. Unless Skipp manages to adjust and steps up in the next 6-12 months. That can of course happen, he's a good player and young.

I agree with some patience on Skipp and I think most do. He's still young and has a lot about him to like. Was talking about his role in the squad right now.

I do think that he may be a somewhat poor fit for this system. Doesn't quite have the pace/quickness that I think is sometimes really important in this system in midfield. Less press resistant and not a great progressive passer or dribbler. That's a few too many important characteristics missing for me to be really optimistic about where he'll be in a year.

He's been rightly surpassed by Sarr this season. That's also not a great sign for his development as he'll struggle for games unless there's an injury crisis. And to be polished into a more suitable player for the system he probably needs a bit of game time.

I do like him though. Think he could do really rather well in a different system.

That's the concern and we need to be aware of the peculiarities of Ange's ask/system

- Players need an engine, ability to run a lot (Skipp is good here)
- He definitely leads to better technical players, i.e. comfortable in tight spaces, press resistant (have question marks here)
- The dynamic nature of Ange's system is where I don't think Skipp works, seeing spaces, taking spaces and swapping/ensuring someone else was covering, e.g. VDV checking Romero to make sure he was covering when he stepped up for the interception that led to goal, Udogie and Maddison swapping places high up. Two instances in the game Monday where Skipp was in no mans land, didn't move into a space for an attack for one, and hadn't dropped back to close in another.

Perhaps I'm being hard on him, but he seems more suited to a static/formation type system than one that relies heavily on the football intelligence of the player. He did look good in pre-season making late runs into box, so there is that ..

Vicario and bissouma letting the team down with no goals or assists....

FB_IMG_1698240025380.jpg

Good to see goals and assists are spread out, even if most fall on son and Maddison

I agree with some patience on Skipp and I think most do. He's still young and has a lot about him to like. Was talking about his role in the squad right now.

I do think that he may be a somewhat poor fit for this system. Doesn't quite have the pace/quickness that I think is sometimes really important in this system in midfield. Less press resistant and not a great progressive passer or dribbler. That's a few too many important characteristics missing for me to be really optimistic about where he'll be in a year.

He's been rightly surpassed by Sarr this season. That's also not a great sign for his development as he'll struggle for games unless there's an injury crisis. And to be polished into a more suitable player for the system he probably needs a bit of game time.

I do like him though. Think he could do really rather well in a different system.

Before his injury, skipp was arguably our best player (after he came back from norwich). Coming back and irregular game time might have effected performances. I'd give him more time especially as he is club trained. Which club trained player will you replace him with?

Before his injury, skipp was arguably our best player (after he came back from norwich). Coming back and irregular game time might have effected performances. I'd give him more time especially as he is club trained. Which club trained player will you replace him with?

Devine, Moore, Santiago are all Academy players knocking on the door, while none fit the more DM role, they deserve consideration for a spot with first team.

I expect we give Skipp the rest of season but for his sake we need not to do the Winks thing, either he can step up or we let him go to somewhere he can play regularly

Tend to agree, he also missed a lot of time with the pelvic injury ( which can take a while to get over) still only 23 so i hope we give him a chance to show how good he was looking before the injury.

Devine, Moore, Santiago are all Academy players knocking on the door, while none fit the more DM role, they deserve consideration for a spot with first team.

I expect we give Skipp the rest of season but for his sake we need not to do the Winks thing, either he can step up or we let him go to somewhere he can play regularly

Skipp got into the championship team of the year. Got a couple of motm awards for the first team. Let devine, moore or santiago prove themselves first.

I'm not saying just sell him or give up on him.

I'm saying be patient, but I also have some reasons to think maybe things won't work out for him here even if given time.

I wouldn't want us to keep him just because he's club trained. Although that's also a factor of course.

Skipp got into the championship team of the year. Got a couple of motm awards for the first team. Let devine, moore or santiago prove themselves first.

Fair enough but Winks also dominated a CL game against Madrid & Dele was a £100M player

My point is he could make the step up (the things you are referencing) but if he doesn't quickly, we need to move on. We dominate teams in the middle of the park now because of Bissouma & Sarr, instead of Skipp & PEH, we defend because of VDV instead of Dier or Sanchez. To truly compete, you need to upgrade/move on from the player who won't/can't continue improving.

Fair enough but Winks also dominated a CL game against Madrid & Dele was a £100M player

My point is he could make the step up (the things you are referencing) but if he doesn't quickly, we need to move on. We dominate teams in the middle of the park now because of Bissouma & Sarr, instead of Skipp & PEH, we defend because of VDV instead of Dier or Sanchez. To truly compete, you need to upgrade/move on from the player who won't/can't continue improving.

We should always look to upgrade. Just not sure we have a club trained player st the moment that is an upgrade. Yes in the future. But now?

I think Skipp will end up a lower end PL player or possibly in the championship within 5 years. He may prove me wrong but I don’t think he’s any better than Winks was when he broke into the team. If anything I’d say he’s a level below Winks from 2017-2019.

I think Skipp will end up a lower end PL player or possibly in the championship within 5 years. He may prove me wrong but I don’t think he’s any better than Winks was when he broke into the team. If anything I’d say he’s a level below Winks from 2017-2019.
Winks looks a different player now he is playing every week

We should always look to upgrade. Just not sure we have a club trained player st the moment that is an upgrade. Yes in the future. But now?

We wouldn't have to replace him with a club trained player though.

We currently have both Perisic and Lloris registered, doing nothing for us for different reasons. If we want to replace Dier that would be one non HG player out, one in. If we want to replace GLC, Hojbjerg. Most of our squad players really, same story.

If we do our business well in the next couple of windows we should be able to deal with the registration just fine I think.

I really like Skipp. If he steps up (again), great. If not keeping him because he's HG and club trained doesn't sit right with me.

Winks looks a different player now he is playing every week

But that is the point

- Winks has never played more than 41 games in a season (most season were mid 30 odd, not all starts)
- Skipp has one season of 47+ in championship
- Skipp won't get lots of playing time here baring a disaster
- Son as a comparison hasn't played less than 41 games in over a decade

This is our balance, if we don't give there youth players enough playing time, they won't get good enough and after a few years of that, their ceiling drops ..

But that is the point

- Winks has never played more than 41 games in a season (most season were mid 30 odd, not all starts)
- Skipp has one season of 47+ in championship
- Skipp won't get lots of playing time here baring a disaster
- Son as a comparison hasn't played less than 41 games in over a decade

This is our balance, if we don't give there youth players enough playing time, they won't get good enough and after a few years of that, their ceiling drops ..

Skipp isn't good enough to force his way into the team. It's up to him to improve to get to that place (I suspect he can't) but if he's willing to try and wait out his opportunities that's on him.

I do believe in the old adage that if they are good enough they are old enough that's obviously with the caveat that it only works under a coach that is willing to play untested and unproven young players.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

In the championship. You're forgetting that rather important detail. The standard is not the same as the PL.

I was not forgetting where he is playing I was just saying he has been playing well with a run games. Is he at the level spurs need absolutely not but he could fit in at a middle of the table PL club. I hope he & leicester win promotion

I was not forgetting where he is playing I was just saying he has been playing well with a run games. Is he at the level spurs need absolutely not but he could fit in at a middle of the table PL club. I hope he & leicester win promotion
I think it's less the run of games and more the lower standard he's playing against.

I’d say my only (realistic) criticism of the summer business is that Phillips isn’t deemed ready for the first team and yet we still sold Sanchez.

I wasn’t too down on the CB squad management as I’d assumed Phillips was ready to play a part, but seeing as he’s clearly not then we have let ourselves get far too light there, even without Europe or the league cup.

Back