• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs teams comparison.

Dembele really does have his fanboys, great player but brick end product, Bentancur is a better player (*ducks* at the inevitable abuse incoming)

Kane, Son, Bale, Modric, Walker, Lloris pick themselves every time

Rose for a period was great fit for Poch, in an Ange side I'd be tempted to put someone else, as I said for me, Bentancur over Dembele next to Modric.

Maddison vs. Eriksen is an interesting one, Maddison has more bite than Eriksen, again like Rose, this comes down to the manager choice, for Ange I think Maddison is a better fit.

Glad to see someone who has the same opinion as i have over Dembele, great player but always turning back the way he had come most of the time.

Dembele really does have his fanboys, great player but brick end product, Bentancur is a better player (*ducks* at the inevitable abuse incoming)

Rose for a period was great fit for Poch, in an Ange side I'd be tempted to put someone else, as I said for me, Bentancur over Dembele next to Modric.

Maddison vs. Eriksen is an interesting one, Maddison has more bite than Eriksen, again like Rose, this comes down to the manager choice, for Ange I think Maddison is a better fit.

Dembele is the archetypal spurs player of the last 25 years, looks good, achieves nothing.
If he had that other ingredient he would have been off just like Carrick, modric, Bale, walker and kane.

Glad to see someone who has the same opinion as i have over Dembele, great player but always turning back the way he had come most of the time.
Dembele is the archetypal spurs player of the last 25 years, looks good, achieves nothing.
If he had that other ingredient he would have been off just like Carrick, modric, Bale, walker and kane.

There's more to football than just goals and assists though.. Dembele contributed plenty, maybe not actions that showed direclty in the stats but he allowed the team to play a certain way. He was integral to our style at the time and once he was gone, it showed dramatically.

His departure cost us more than any other recent player, perhaps only Bale was a more noticable loss out of our modern players.

Football is all about opinions though I guess, everyone sees something different. But in my view Dembele was different class and the fact that almost every player who trained with him calls him the best player they've ever seen, it can't just be for the sake of it, can it? Given the players we've had walk through our doors, it speaks volumes.

There's more to football than just goals and assists though.. Dembele contributed plenty, maybe not actions that showed direclty in the stats but he allowed the team to play a certain way. He was integral to our style at the time and once he was gone, it showed dramatically.

His departure cost us more than any other recent player, perhaps only Bale was a more noticable loss out of our modern players.

Football is all about opinions though I guess, everyone sees something different. But in my view Dembele was different class and the fact that almost every player who trained with him calls him the best player they've ever seen, it can't just be for the sake of it, can it? Given the players we've had walk through our doors, it speaks volumes.

He (obviously my opinion) was a very good player that didn't quite hit the greats because of his end product shortcomings. He was elite at ball retention and that allowed him to carry (break lines) very effectively

I agree that his moving on hurt the system significantly but (another story) that's probably a bigger reflection on the limitations of that system (very dependent on individual ability).

But to even think he's close to Modric (as some people on this thread believe) is laughable mate, in my opinion Bentancur is already (years younger) a better player and similarly has been able to carry a compromised system (Conte's flimflam 2 man midfield) and his loss was even more impactful (top 4 form with Bentancur in Conte's team, 14th place form without him)

He (obviously my opinion) was a very good player that didn't quite hit the greats because of his end product shortcomings. He was elite at ball retention and that allowed him to carry (break lines) very effectively

I agree that his moving on hurt the system significantly but (another story) that's probably a bigger reflection on the limitations of that system (very dependent on individual ability).

But to even think he's close to Modric (as some people on this thread believe) is laughable mate, in my opinion Bentancur is already (years younger) a better player and similarly has been able to carry a compromised system (Conte's flimflam 2 man midfield) and his loss was even more impactful (top 4 form with Bentancur in Conte's team, 14th place form without him)
I actually agree that Modric and Bentancur are better than Dembele, but since EVERY Spurs player picks Dembele above those 2 for their fantasy teams, they must know something more than me. That's science.

I actually agree that Modric and Bentancur are better than Dembele, but since EVERY Spurs player picks Dembele above those 2 for their fantasy teams, they must know something more than me. That's science.
I think a lot of Spurs fans are a bit blinded by his dribbling ability, it blinds them a bit to the massive holes in his game such his lack of passing ability. Yes he could dribble and keep the ball but after all of that the opposition had time to settle because he could meld dribbling with passing and I'm sorry passing ability is more important.

Bentancur and Modric in particular have fantastic passing range and execution. That's the reason no one ever came in for Demebele. He might well be one of the very best 5 a side players ever but if you're playing on midfield you absolutely have to be able to pass further than 5 yards and if you want to be a great you need to be able to pass incisively between the lines. He never had that to his game.

With Dembele I think personally a lot of fans a blinded by what they wanted him to be and be rather than what he was.

Midfielders that can beat the press are like gold dust and at the time we had the best in the world at it. He did more for us than Rodri does for City and people suck him off endlessly.

It's a skill so rare that at any time there's only a handful of players at the top level who can do it.

With Dembele I think personally a lot of fans a blinded by what they wanted him to be and be rather than what he was.

Midfielders that can beat the press are like gold dust and at the time we had the best in the world at it. He did more for us than Rodri does for City and people suck him off endlessly.

It's a skill so rare that at any time there's only a handful of players at the top level who can do it.
Rodri is press resistant but he can pass too. They are incomparable as players.

Last edited:

And lots of Spurs players called out how talented Ndombele was ... :oops:

I will try not to get completely carried away with Bentancur, though I think he's a lovely player. Perhaps a bit early to be comparing him to players like Dembele that we saw over a much longer time.

Modric and Dembele. Fully agree with you. On Dembele too. Great player, but a few too many limitations to be a truly elite player. I'm sure he was a lovely player to play with and a very difficult player to play against. He had so much quality. But he wasn't an elite, world class type player. He had games that were probably at that level, but not consistently Bentancur may become that, but let's see.

Back