• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs pre-season Perth, Australia

You need to do both though really. If you're just watching the man, you can be sure he's watching the ball and he'll have a head start on you when he moves towards the ball. If you're just watching the man and just reacting to his movements then you're already playing catch up.

No I agree, ideally - and certainly if you are good enough to play in the Premier - you should be doing both. I noticed that no one seemed that tight to a man either - I don't know how Ange usually approaches set piece defending - zonal/man-marking a bit of both etc?

One (bad) thing I noticed with Solomon though is that on a couple of occasions he didn’t take care of the ball when Reggie had overlapped him. That then leaves an incredibly dangerous transition for the opposition to exploit.

Yeh seems very cut and shoot rather than build up with the play, but he is quick and tricky so should be an asset, nice to not have over reliance on Son 24/7

No I agree, ideally - and certainly if you are good enough to play in the Premier - you should be doing both. I noticed that no one seemed that tight to a man either - I don't know how Ange usually approaches set piece defending - zonal/man-marking a bit of both etc?

I've only seen the second goal so far. How on earth the one West Ham player gets in unmarked amongst 4 or 5 of ours is a mystery and a worry.

Think there's too many unknowns to sign other fullbacks, as well as the need to spend on CBs

Udogie could turn out to be top class, in which case we dont need to spend big on another LB.
All 3 RBs have question marks against them either attacking or defending or being unproven, so need to see whether any of them emerge as good enough

I would wait til Jan or next summer to work out what we need
This is super premature of me to say, but I think Spence might be the best option from the little I saw of him when he played for Rennes. Would be interesting to see how he does when he gets a chance in preseason.

Not sure he's an out and out winger either though. Seems like he was very suited to Conte's system and not much else.

Wasn't he originally a right winger that was adapted to WB? I think his attributes would make him better in the Deki role than as a RB, I think he could be very hand based on his attacking showing at the end of last season

Good to hear, considering we played a Prem team ( not pigfarmers) the signs were very promising. Of course it is early stages but i must say we moved the ball about well ( and quickly).
A prem team that are on their third pre season game too - makes a huge difference at this stage

This is super premature of me to say, but I think Spence might be the best option from the little I saw of him when he played for Rennes. Would be interesting to see how he does when he gets a chance in preseason.

I think Spence and Royal rotating, with Udogie and Davies doing the same on the left. Two more adventurous and two more solid options.

Porro definitely only at RWF

Without a doubt. Early days of course but it was good to see that for most of the game the players seemed to be in control of the ball when they were passing and good movement from the players recieving it.
We also need to think this way for at least 10-15 games. It will take time.
WHs third goal was poor, but will happen until we fully click tactically - we need patience.
(As apposed to the corner, which was just brick. That can be fixed by being less brick!)

I don't understand why everyone thinks our defense played badly. I'm not saying our defense is sorted and it does need strengthening, but we only gave up 4 shots the entire game even using two different defensive lineups. The fact that we conceded 3 goals from these 4 shots is more of a statistical anomaly than anything.
A pair of different CBs would have made no difference for the first two goals. Both were a case of Porro not being aware of his surroundings and being easily beaten to the ball. I guess you could argue that a different CB might have for the ball with Romero's jump but it was Porro who lost his man for the 1st and 2nd.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

We also need to think this way for at least 10-15 games. It will take time.
WHs third goal was poor, but will happen until we fully click tactically - we need patience.
(As apposed to the corner, which was just brick. That can be fixed by being less brick!)

Yep, its a different way of playing that most of the players HAVE to get used to. it needs time to get all players up to speed on what he wants, sadly there are fans who want,exspect instant results but that very rarely happens.

I would sell Kane too to fund a defensive rebuild. I know it is only one game, but if the second half showed us anything, it's that with this system and these players we can get goals without him. Even with Richie in the lineup, who I am sure will get us 15-20 goals once he shakes his hoodoo.
Richie's finishing isn't really there...which is a problem. He looks like he's a 12-15 goal a season guy in a good side but should really be getting 20 odd with the chances he gets if he were a clinical finisher which he isn't and has never been.

I can live with him as a striker to replace Kane but we would definitely need to invest in someone else as an alternative for real competition and or support.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

What do you think he doesn't have to be a winger? He's got pace, can beat a man, has good crossing ability, good on the ball skills, has a good shot. What's missing?

He has pace but does he have the trickery to beat a man in the same way Sonny does with his stepovers or that Kulu does? Maybe I haven't seen enough of him and am doing him a disservice but I don't recall him doing it too often.

Back