• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs pre-season Perth, Australia

Look beyond stat's. Our defence was all over the place any time they attacked in the first half. But much better in the second.
You have to look at the stats too, though. Opponents will not be scoring 75% of their shots against us on a regular basis.

Do we think Udogie and Reguilon will be fine playing left back or are there similar issues to Porro playing right back?

Not sure our funds will stretch beyond sorting the centre backs out so I hope we can find four competent full backs from within our existing squad.

I don't understand why everyone thinks our defense played badly. I'm not saying our defense is sorted and it does need strengthening, but we only gave up 4 shots the entire game even using two different defensive lineups. The fact that we conceded 3 goals from these 4 shots is more of a statistical anomaly than anything.

I think one of the problems with a lot of the current defence is that they are not sufficiently comfortable on the ball under pressure and not able to move the ball forward quickly enough without losing possession. I don't think Ange is big on defenders spending several minutes passing the ball sideways along the defensive line. West Ham didn't really press us as high and relentlessly as other teams will, but even then we still looked uncomfortable at times and resorted to pointless (rather than constructive) sideways passing.

Indeed…. The third was a lapse from Sanchez trying to play offside and the first two was us not getting out to a wide player after a corner kick and giving them lots of time to pick out a cross.
Aside from that, and I don't really think you can blame Dav for it - it was a collective error, Sanchez played very well and was very composed. Of all the players I saw, I think Reggie was the only one that stood out in terms of how bad he played compared to the rest, followed by Tanganga. Everyone else put in a really good performance. I'm pretty torn as to who we should let go!

Do we think Udogie and Reguilon will be fine playing left back or are there similar issues to Porro playing right back?

Not sure our funds will stretch beyond sorting the centre backs out so I hope we can find four competent full backs from within our existing squad.
Difficult to tell with Udogie as West Ham barely had an attack in the second half.

We will have Sessegnon as well when he is fit again.

Would be good cover as him and Reguilon will probably miss a good chunk of games with injuries

Aside from that, and I don't really think you can blame Dav for it - it was a collective error, Sanchez played very well and was very composed. Of all the players I saw, I think Reggie was the only one that stood out in terms of how bad he played compared to the rest, followed by Tanganga. Everyone else put in a really good performance. I'm pretty torn as to who we should let go!
I think you can and should…. Scamacca is the opposing CF and has no real pace. At the point that West Ham turned over possession Sanchez cannot move towards the ball and instead has to track Scamacca’s run. Reggie was up against West Ham’s best player but I agree he didn’t look comfortable.

Think there's too many unknowns to sign other fullbacks, as well as the need to spend on CBs

Udogie could turn out to be top class, in which case we dont need to spend big on another LB.
All 3 RBs have question marks against them either attacking or defending or being unproven, so need to see whether any of them emerge as good enough

I would wait til Jan or next summer to work out what we need

Wait…. You’re calling Kulu one footed but not Lo Celso?!?

I think it is more of an issue when you are out wide on the right hand side as you only have the pitch to your left to pass or move into and that often involves cutting inside onto the left foot or getting the ball under control to play cross with the left foot etc. Which takes time. Whereas Lo Celso came inside more and then had 360 degrees of pitch to play first time passes into (Plus I think his first time passing is better than Kulu's).

Their second goal. He should never be able to score from there.

View attachment 15737

It is interesting how, even at the top level players get caught watching the ball rather than the runners. It's not possible to say for sure that they weren't keeping an eye on the runners, but most of our players in the box appear to be looking in the direction of the corner taker. I've always thought that (other than the goalkeeper) you need to be watching and getting in the way of/jumping with your runner because as long as you do that as well as you can it doesn't matter where the ball goes.

Look beyond stat's. Our defence was all over the place any time they attacked in the first half. But much better in the second.
And now we see Ange's approach to culpability:

“The goals we conceded are partly on me - we haven’t done loads of work on those kind of defensive areas and structures around set-pieces and stuff,” said Postecoglou.
“I can’t expect the guys to take everything on board. I thought for the most part defensively the pressure was really good and we didn’t allow too many chances as you said. But we don’t want to be conceding goals with them producing a small number of chances.
“But that’s not the sort of stuff worked on. There are still things in our structure where we could have moved the ball quicker and guys aren’t in exactly the position they need to be.
“And there are a few things we need to keep developing, as is only natural as they get fitter to play this kind of football. We’re still in the early stages. At the same time we only have three or so weeks to get ready for the first game so we’re working hard.”

“The goals we conceded are partly on me - we haven’t done loads of work on those kind of defensive areas and structures around set-pieces and stuff,” said Postecoglou.
“I can’t expect the guys to take everything on board. I thought for the most part defensively the pressure was really good and we didn’t allow too many chances as you said. But we don’t want to be conceding goals with them producing a small number of chances.
“But that’s not the sort of stuff worked on. There are still things in our structure where we could have moved the ball quicker and guys aren’t in exactly the position they need to be.
“And there are a few things we need to keep developing, as is only natural as they get fitter to play this kind of football. We’re still in the early stages. At the same time we only have three or so weeks to get ready for the first game so we’re working hard.”

Good to hear, considering we played a Prem team ( not pigfarmers) the signs were very promising. Of course it is early stages but i must say we moved the ball about well ( and quickly).

It is interesting how, even at the top level players get caught watching the ball rather than the runners. It's not possible to say for sure that they weren't keeping an eye on the runners, but most of our players in the box appear to be looking in the direction of the corner taker. I've always thought that (other than the goalkeeper) you need to be watching and getting in the way of/jumping with your runner because as long as you do that as well as you can it doesn't matter where the ball goes.

You need to do both though really. If you're just watching the man, you can be sure he's watching the ball and he'll have a head start on you when he moves towards the ball. If you're just watching the man and just reacting to his movements then you're already playing catch up.

Its refreshing, just watched the interview posted further up and he says the same, he is asking players to play in a way they are not used to, there will be bumps in the road, but he accepts his level of blame in that, not that it should be about blame, but it is refreshing and important that this blame culture is lifted

Of the newbiess was good to see them all make a good impression, seeing him at closer quarters Maddison is some player, he should do some damage. Solomon looked very bright, should have a good part to play in the season.
One (bad) thing I noticed with Solomon though is that on a couple of occasions he didn’t take care of the ball when Reggie had overlapped him. That then leaves an incredibly dangerous transition for the opposition to exploit.

Back